Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's a Fireman thing, Fire Ext. Install
Coondog
post Feb 12 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

After many years of responding to vehicle fires and almost losing my second 914 to a leaking fuel line back in the day. I decided it wouldn't look to good if I lost my latest 914 to a fire. Here is the reason for two differnt types of extinguishers and there placement.

The larger Ext. is a purple K. This type does not have the corrisive residue that you would find in the A-B-C type extinguishers. Yes it is still a powder Ext. but washs off easier. This is a superior Ext. for fuel related fires.

Tha smaller Ext. is a halotron which is best for electrical fires but not so good for fuel fires as it does not leave sufficient residue that would lay on top of the fuel and suppress the vapors.
Bottom line: electrical fires in the interior grab the Halotron, fuel fires in the engine bay grab the Purple K.

As far as my placement, I am sorry but those little extinguishers I have seen mounted in the interior would be like pissing in the wind on a fuel fire. Plus the fact is if the back of my 914 is on fire I want to get the Fuch out of there and not unhook a Ext. while doing so. Easy to unlatch the HOODS, get some distance away from the rear of the car and grab the appropriate Ext. Now if the front of my 914 is on fire then I am truly FUCHED.

One last tip for any car you own if you are able to pull the hood release please do so. Trust me we have cause more damage trying to get a hood opened because the heat melted the hood release then the fire had caused.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Feb 12 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

good information and thanks for passing along!

the new avatar is purely coincidendtal...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 12 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #3

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

For not that much money an on-board foam system is even more security and will help a fire from re-igniting. I have a hand held also but if something flares up in the engine bay, its nice to pull a knob and get the fire out before it has a chance to get out of hand.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 12 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 12 2016, 03:48 PM) *

For not that much money an on-board foam system is even more security and will help a fire from re-igniting. I have a hand held also but if something flares up in the engine bay, its nice to pull a knob and get the fire out before it has a chance to get out of hand.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

I saw this Blaze-cut set=up on GoWesty & was thinking of doing them on all of my cars' engine bays. They're probably also available elsewhere & maybe for less $$.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php...24393&type=

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.gowesty.com-10181-1455325551.1.jpg) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.gowesty.com-10181-1455325551.2.jpg) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.gowesty.com-10181-1455325551.3.jpg) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.gowesty.com-10181-1455325552.4.jpg)

6' & 12' lengths - it apparently coils up & zip-ties on the engine lid/hood, & melts dropping foam when a fire heats it up.

What do you think of that set-up Coondog & any other fire pros out there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

PS - a few hits on a google search just now - so they're out there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Blazecut+Fi...-8&oe=utf-8

PSS - This would be in addition to the handheld extinguishers in every car & the trailer too!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #6

TMI....

I just caught a little background detail in your photo Coondog! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-19195-1455319277_thumb.jpg)

.... `72 'Mino SS 454? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

.... in metallic blue nonetheless!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Now THAT would make for a classic ride to tow our 1960 Avion T20 trailer to vintage trailer & car events! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
.... but my wife wants a back seat & cargo bay of an SUV, so we're hunting for an `08-12 Cayenne S instead!

BTW - this is our plan - but no longer this 06 CAyS cut-n-pasted over the rented Nissan Pathfinder actually hitched to our Avion....

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 12 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

1970 SS 454 LS 6
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #8

TMI....

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 12 2016, 05:19 PM) *

1970 SS 454 LS 6
Attached Image

I had to guess `72 - not seeing the grill nor tail in the pic of the fender detail Coondog!

That was prime time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) on the way to/from school back in `69-70 down in San Diego, for me driving along in my lowly 4-banger Opel Kadett!

Screaming scary fast too with the LS6 454! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

Thanx for the "full body" pic!

Beautiful! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:32 PM