Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> It's a Fireman thing, Fire Ext. Install
Coondog
post Feb 12 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

After many years of responding to vehicle fires and almost losing my second 914 to a leaking fuel line back in the day. I decided it wouldn't look to good if I lost my latest 914 to a fire. Here is the reason for two differnt types of extinguishers and there placement.

The larger Ext. is a purple K. This type does not have the corrisive residue that you would find in the A-B-C type extinguishers. Yes it is still a powder Ext. but washs off easier. This is a superior Ext. for fuel related fires.

Tha smaller Ext. is a halotron which is best for electrical fires but not so good for fuel fires as it does not leave sufficient residue that would lay on top of the fuel and suppress the vapors.
Bottom line: electrical fires in the interior grab the Halotron, fuel fires in the engine bay grab the Purple K.

As far as my placement, I am sorry but those little extinguishers I have seen mounted in the interior would be like pissing in the wind on a fuel fire. Plus the fact is if the back of my 914 is on fire I want to get the Fuch out of there and not unhook a Ext. while doing so. Easy to unlatch the HOODS, get some distance away from the rear of the car and grab the appropriate Ext. Now if the front of my 914 is on fire then I am truly FUCHED.

One last tip for any car you own if you are able to pull the hood release please do so. Trust me we have cause more damage trying to get a hood opened because the heat melted the hood release then the fire had caused.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:08 PM