Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1970 914/6 FS
Cal
post Feb 19 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

Here's a nice looking 6 for sale on EBay with a very cool original color plaid interior.....I've never seen an interior like this on a 6 before. Looks like a great price if the miles and description is correct. The owner had it listed with a BIN price of $60K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322012653630?ssPag...&rmvSB=true

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Feb 19 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am bidding on it but seller is a little tight with info. anyone know the car, or in that area? car is in Bridgewater NJ
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 19 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Cool car with an oddball interior (a good thing in my mind)...wish I had money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 19 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

EDIT - Please see my corrected Interior color info. at post #11 below.

Hey Cal -

That's not an OE color for /4 or -6 - more of a creme than the stock beige in leather or vinyl leatherette, nor was that fabric on the inserts available from the factory even by special order AFAIK.

If it's your tastes, then have at it, but IMHO with the values of original -6's so high & rising, it's a shame not to have reupholstered in in the OE Beige, & that may explain a BIN of only $60k. The cost to do it with that color combo & insert fabric would've been the same as correct OE colors - unless the owner got some "deal" on it.

I know, I know - his car & his check - just sayin'! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

PS - The COA says Beige with Dogtooth (Houndstooth) insert, but that plaid isn't the Porsche Houndstooth fabric for the era, from what I can see (see pix at evil-bay ad).

PSS - It looks like they have the #503 Dark Tan driver & passenger floor mats, with standard & light tan carpet everywhere else - whereas both would be all in tan or dark tan. EDIT - Seller says it's due to fading of other carpet areas.

If it is dark tan (??) - then since my `73 is the Dark Tan, I'll buy the D & P mats (although I'd have to modify the P side to the longer 72-76 style), if the eventual buyer wants to get tan ones! ....open offer! Autos International & LAkewell.com have the correct Tan loop pile carpet sets BTW.

PSSS - Seller says it's the original interior in his write-up, but the tan is lighter than the carpet tan, but should be the same or darker - I know from my 73 & from Bowlsby's samples at this link....

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

However, the close-up interior shots could be showing the correct Houndstooth, but I can't see it in enough detail with those medium-quality pix. Since the Beige/Tan color is too pale, I still think it's not the OE interior as the seller claims.

Something else that doesn't make sense on this car are it's CA plates - 539YDW - my plates for my 73 2L sold new on 11/6/72 is 530GVS & on since new & still. So any way you cut the CA-DMV's numbering sequence - changing the letters in sequence after hitting 999xxx (which is the way IIRC they do/did it) - so YDW comes after GVS, or by running thru the letters sequentially for each number - 539 comes after 530.

So those have to be replacement plates from sometime after Fall `72 .... why? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'd also ask the seller for documentation since day 1 to substantiate that it's not 100k on it (or 200K with a full resto?).

So check all the usual stuff out first.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 19 2016, 02:17 PM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Seems like a nice clean car. Wish the seller would post up some good pictures of the entire car and share some history too.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Feb 19 2016, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Be careful!! NJ is in the salt belt.

NM, don't know where I got that? It's a CA car.
+Quote Post
lostreasure
post Feb 19 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,048
Region Association: None

Interior is correct and original as stated on COA from Porsche- floor carpet are darker because they had mats on them so original carpet has lightened- there is a 1970 Porsche option brochure for 1970 914 interiors
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 19 2016, 03:06 PM
Post #8

TMI....

EDIT - Please see my corrected Interior color info. at post #11 below.

This is a pic below is of my 73 914-2.0's OE #31 Beige Interior with Smooth/Basketweave vinyl & with the #503 Dark Tan carpets which lived it's entire life in sunny SoCal & with the top off much of the time. It's a little darker due to the shady lighting in this pic, but even in the sunlight it's substantially darker than the pix of the 914-6 above.

This color was pretty consistent for all 70-74 MYs, until they changed to the thinner vinyl fabrics in 75-76 MY. EDIT - Apparently the 1970 MY Beige/Tan was a lighter shade.

So they should all look close to this & carpet colors near too - even with sun fading, which isn't consistent across all areas - i.e.: shaded areas on the bottom curves of the door pocket, bolsters, etc. should be less faded.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10181-1264064832_thumb.jpg)

That's why I say this 914-6 looks like a redone interior - even if close to or correct according to the COA, but the Beige/Tan is too light all over. The seller may be unaware of it being redone, unless he's the OO or in the family since new (e.g.: Dad's car, etc.).

PS - This pic below is the #503 Dark Tan from behind the passenger seat, which is as close to new as anything on my 73, being shaded by the seat. The 1970 MY #501 Tan color pile carpet would've been all in the lighter of the 2 tan & brown yarn colors in the speckled Dark Tan example. BTW, #503 Dark Tan wasn't available in 70 MY, & not until 73 MY.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10181-1256692189.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
lostreasure
post Feb 19 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #9

Please refer to the 1970 Porsche 914 color chart for a list of all materials available for 914-6 there you will see a light tan vinyl and dog teeth fabric (code)33
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 19 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(lostreasure @ Feb 19 2016, 01:37 PM) *
Please refer to the 1970 Porsche 914 color chart for a list of all materials available for 914-6 there you will see a light tan vinyl and dog teeth fabric (code)33

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

My '70 /4 had the same light tan interior as the /6 above.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 19 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #11

TMI....

PSS - I added pix of the interior sample from the 1970 brochure & the interior of this 914-6, all stacked with the 1970 P+A magazine ad showing that interior color - to correct my inaccurate info above.

So I stand corrected on my interior color comments above.

Losttreasure -

Can please you post pix of your 1970 color sample chart pages for both paints & interior fabrics on here, so that Jeff Bowlsby can add them to his 914 website.
^-- PS - Thanx!

Jeff is missing 70 MY info on there, & can pull the pix off of here if that's okay with you.

I've never seen a 914 in that pale of a Beige/Tan even back in the day, when I drooled over them at the dealers as a HS Sr. & college student.

PS - I did a look around & re-found this Porsche ad below, with what looks like this #33 Light Tan color - that I'd thought was just off color rendering from the camera taking the picture of a "normal" Beige interior. Since it's not on the 71 fabrics, it must have been a 1 year & very low volume color produced.

Pic of a 1970 MY Porsche+Audi magazine ad:
Attached Image

Pic from the evil-bay ad for this 914-6:
Attached Image

Sample from the 1970 Chart at the next post below:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2212-1390761860.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2212-1390761869.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2212-1390761849_thumb.jpg)

However, I still think it's a good idea on any car with a 5-digit odometer (or 6-7 digits) to get full documentation to support the mileage shown; as well as to try to figure out where the car was first sold & how the later series CA blue/yellow plate got on there.

TIA
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
lostreasure
post Feb 19 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #12

color chart for 914-6 (1970)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229303
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Feb 19 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #13

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2016, 01:53 PM) *

Losttreasure -

Can please you post pix of your 1970 color sample chart pages for both paints & interior fabrics on here, so that Jeff Bowlsby can add them to his 914 website.
^-- PS - Thanx!

Jeff is missing 70 MY info on there, & can pull the pix off of here if that's okay with you.

I've never seen a 914 in that pale of a Beige/Tan even back in the day, when I drooled over them at the dealers as a HS Sr. & college student.

PS - I did a look around & re-found this Porsche ad below, with what looks like this #33 Light Tan color - that I'd thought was just off color rendering from the camera taking the picture of a "normal" Beige interior. Since it's not on the 71 fabrics, it must have been a 1 year & very low volume color produced.

Attached Image

However, I still think it's a good idea on any car with a 5-digit odometer (or 6-7 digits) to get full documentation to support the mileage shown; as well as to try to figure out where the car was first sold & how the later series CA blue/yellow plate got on there.

TIA
Tom
///////

Interesting how this is a 1973 advertisement and the interior is what looks to be a fixed seat early model....but the back pad has seams.
+Quote Post
kellygeorge
post Feb 19 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,671
Region Association: Southwest Region

Damn. And I just got my 914 for 5k.

I assume the 914/6 is quite a bit more rare than the 4 cylinder, and thats why there is such a wide range of price.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 19 2016, 04:56 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 19 2016, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2016, 01:53 PM) *

Losttreasure -

^-- PS - Thanx!

Attached Image

TIA
Tom
///////

Interesting how this is a 1973 advertisement and the interior is what looks to be a fixed seat early model....but the back pad has seams.

Not to mention that there were NO 914-6's for 73 MY & this is clearly a -6 with Mahle 5-lug "Gas-burners" & in what looks to be Adriatic Blue paint! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IIRC this ad was also rund during the 72 MY when the last of the 914-6s were built, & maybe in the 71 MY too.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Feb 19 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #16

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

does anybody know the VIN of the silver metallic car from eBay ??
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Feb 19 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,534

Nice car!
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 19 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #18

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
and I saw some matching houndstooth pants at the thrift store last week that would go perfect with those seats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 19 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

There is no question that the interior leatherette is the available beige color.
The carpet color and pile is correct too.
I have that color interior in my 1970 914 6.
The hounds tooth in the silver car was certainly available as well.
Attached is a picture of my car. It has the standard basket weave inserts.
I also own a complete brown interior for a 1970 car.
Both were one year only colors for single seat cars.
1971 leatherette was closer to "elephant hide" and very shiny.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Feb 19 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(kellygeorge @ Feb 19 2016, 04:46 PM) *

Damn. And I just got my 914 for 5k.

I assume the 914/6 is quite a bit more rare than the 4 cylinder, and thats why there is such a wide range of price.

Uhh, yeah...you could say that the /6 is a bit more rare and valuable than a good ole /4.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:57 AM