Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mark's (914Rubber) Project Car
McMark
post Mar 3 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Super In Law (Jack) worked on filling the spot weld cutter holes in the seat reinforcements.

Why fill these? Rosette welds to the car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Mar 3 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #42

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 3 2016, 10:10 AM) *

Super In Law (Jack) worked on filling the spot weld cutter holes in the seat reinforcements.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
way too much work spent filling those holes; only to drill new holes again???
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 3 2016, 08:49 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jmitro @ Mar 3 2016, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 3 2016, 10:10 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
way too much work spent filling those holes; only to drill new holes again???

Primarily filling the 3/8" cutter holes. They create a 1/2" rosette weld. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Which would be almost impossible to remove in 40 years when the car is restored again. LOL.
I have been told that I'm a little anal. And I think too far ahead.

Plus I'm not keeping track of Super In Laws time. I figure we're ALL paying his wages. He was a 30 year federal employee. Which this year will be 31 years retired.
So he's a bonus.
+Quote Post
dangerranger01
post Mar 3 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,578

I really like your work Cary and all the pictures/details you put in. Gonna really enjoy this thread.

Maybe when you're done with Mark's car you can do mine...and hey i've already bought a good amount from RD already, just need to cut and glue it into the car! haha
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 3 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Mar 3 2016, 07:32 PM) *

I really like your work Cary and all the pictures/details you put in. Gonna really enjoy this thread.

Maybe when you're done with Mark's car you can do mine...and hey i've already bought a good amount from RD already, just need to cut and glue it into the car! haha

I'll take these projects on one at a time. Your neighbor Doug has already asked to next in line, sorry. But I'd like to see where your at with your project.

This one is turning out to be more than I expected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
dangerranger01
post Mar 3 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 3 2016, 09:29 PM) *

I'll take these projects on one at a time. Your neighbor Doug has already asked to next in line, sorry. But I'd like to see where your at with your project.

This one is turning out to be more than I expected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Yea that is what I picked up. Still haven't met up wiht Doug yet even though he lives about 1mi from. I work out of town so i'm only back every few weeks. We still need to plan the 'Boring Teeners Unite' meeting haha an exclusive club

I dig into the car when i'm home. Haven't done anything major yet besides see where i'm at and discovering more work with each time (but that is to be expect!).

Got my stainless fuel lines from Tangerine months ago, and just now got a slight leak, so I guess that means i'm doing the fuel lines when i'm home! I should probably stop and figure out how to address cleaning/sealing the tank so I am only diggin into the fuel system once. You ever have to do this before? Need to do more research.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 3 2016, 11:54 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Start the day with primering the refurbished pieces that were OSPHOed overnight.
Attached Image

After that I'm back to the wheelhouse.
Step #1, remove a portion of the door jam. Thick line is were I cut. Probably should have gone up a bit more. Couldn't get the spot weld drill in the right place to drill out the top of the jack point.
Attached Image

Attached Image
This shot is after the jam is detached. The yellow arrows are spot welds that don't need to be drilled out. The lines are where the brazing comes loose.

Step #2
Here's a couple shots of the top of the jack point. 6 spot welds. The bent corners is my fibile attempt to pop off the jack point with a chisel yesterday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Words of wisdom : A chisel is not something that you want use too much around 18 gauge metal, only directly on welds.
Attached Image

So I used the Rick grind and pop method to get the jack point off
Attached Image

Step #3
Remove a portion of the sill so the wheelhouse to long joint can be drilled out.
Attached Image

That corner will be sent to the Super In Law refurbish workbench. Brazed over the top of a spot weld.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Today's items sent to the refurbish workbench.
Yellows circles are areas that will be refurbished.
Attached Image

This is the bottom of the right engine shelf. The rusted portion is the flange that the molding channel gets welded to. I missed the bottom on my parts review before I sent the parts list to Mark. I caught taking off the molding channel. Oh well, saved Mark $180. We 'll cut and patch the shitty part. And recreate the flange. With Super In Laws high wage ($0) it will work out. If it was a regular shop deal. Recycle bin item.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Here's a better shot of the wheelhouse with the fender and door jam removed. Lined out areas are rusted thru.
Attached Image

It' a shame this happened. Here's a shot of the wheel house above the suspension mount. Virgin. I still contend this was caused by the seam sealer on the top rail being removed and not replaced. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Attached Image

I'd still like to try sliding the inner layer behind the suspension mount. It would be some tricking welding. Might have to buy some special arc welding rod to tack it in. Would have to build some turnbuckle gadgets to push it up tight so it could be welded. But I like a challenge. That's how I roll.

But the anal part of my brain says the weld will be too close and too big next to the suspension mount. So the mount and its dreaded tie will have to be removed so it can be patched correctly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Plus it we give a better view of the condition of the upper inner long.
This will entail building a fixture for aligning the mount when we reinstall it.

This as far as we go without having the new part in my hand for measurements ................
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 12:51 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Here's another area that will get close scrutiny after we remove the back half of the floor pan.
Attached Image

Will probably cut it out of the parts car.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Mar 3 2016, 09:35 PM) *

Yea that is what I picked up. Still haven't met up wiht Doug yet even though he lives about 1mi from. I work out of town so i'm only back every few weeks. We still need to plan the 'Boring Teeners Unite' meeting haha an exclusive club

I dig into the car when i'm home. Haven't done anything major yet besides see where i'm at and discovering more work with each time (but that is to be expect!).

Got my stainless fuel lines from Tangerine months ago, and just now got a slight leak, so I guess that means i'm doing the fuel lines when i'm home! I should probably stop and figure out how to address cleaning/sealing the tank so I am only diggin into the fuel system once. You ever have to do this before? Need to do more research.

First I should say thank you for the compliments ...................

Feels like I'm about to be reeled in. LOL.
Yes on the fuel lines. Did a set on my 911. A set on both the 914's. Look's like I'll be doing a set on Mark's car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2100898
Starts page #124

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2096850

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+tank

Are you smelling fuel ? Is any hitting the ground ?
+Quote Post
dangerranger01
post Mar 4 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 4 2016, 08:01 AM) *

First I should say thank you for the compliments ...................

Feels like I'm about to be reeled in. LOL.
Yes on the fuel lines. Did a set on my 911. A set on both the 914's. Look's like I'll be doing a set on Mark's car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2100898
Starts page #124

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2096850

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+tank

Are you smelling fuel ? Is any hitting the ground ?

Thanks for the links. I'll read up more once i'm done running around this morning. And yes, i smell fuel and it's hitting the ground. Looks like where the lines come out of the tunnel and go up into the engine bay is a significant leak (plastic to rubber area)....not good.
I think i'll pull the tank today and see what condition its in. Not sure if any shops local to me that clean/pressure test but I haven't searched...
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Thanks for the links. I'll read up more once i'm done running around this morning. And yes, i smell fuel and it's hitting the ground. Looks like where the lines come out of the tunnel and go up into the engine bay is a significant leak (plastic to rubber area)....not good.
I think i'll pull the tank today and see what condition its in. Not sure if any shops local to me that clean/pressure test but I haven't searched...

Good Luck. I couldn't find anyone on the West side.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Started the day installing the door braces.
Attached Image

I found another piece that will probably need to changed. Motor Mount.
Attached Image

Attached Image
I think I have 2 or 3 in my stash. Plus the parts car has a couple good ones on it.

In order to give the firewall a good examination I need to remove the fuel lines and cables. So out came the fuel tank.
Attached Image

This is the scariest splice I've ever seen. This was inside the cockpit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) This is why it had the hillbilly tared in mess.
Attached Image

After everything is cleared out of the way.
Attached Image

Aftermath ................
Attached Image

Speedometer cable looks good. Clutch cable looks good. Accelerator cable, not so much. Bowden tube separated.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Here's Super In Law's work on the right engine shelf. He's created a new flange for the molding channel to be welded to.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 4 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

After lunch we went to Mike's (warpig) house to cut the rear panel out of his parts car.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Tomorrow is Annual AX Tech at Speedsports.
Sunday is instructor at Tire Rack Street Survival

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Mar 5 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #57

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 4 2016, 08:03 PM) *

After lunch we went to Mike's (warpig) house to cut the rear panel out of his parts car.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Tomorrow is Annual AX Tech at Speedsports.
Sunday is instructor at Tire Rack Street Survival

Is Mark going to stick with the late bumpers? If so, I might be in the market for the tow-hook parts that you will be removing.

Fantastic work, BTW! Wish I had a Super In-Law!
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 5 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Mark's staying with the 75-76 bumpers. So we should be able to accommodate your request. If not this car, there should be one on my parts car.
The took hook receiver only ? Or do you need the braces too ?
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 6 2016, 03:38 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Mar 3 2016, 07:32 PM) *

I cede my position in line. Not sure when I'll have the funds and/or time to really dig into my project. Got a battle royal with my ex investment company planned for this summer.
I'll definitely be dropping in occasionally to see what Cary's up to no doubt.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 7 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 5 2016, 02:51 PM) *

Mark's staying with the 75-76 bumpers. So we should be able to accommodate your request. If not this car, there should be one on my parts car.
The took hook receiver only ? Or do you need the braces too ?

Ok. Tow hook is not meant to be removed and replaced. The tube had to be cut to get the tow hook off the pre 75 rear panel. You can't get the cutting wheel down into the locations were they welded in the tube. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

If you can come up with a tube with 10mm threads you could put the two halves to good use. I can refurbish the two halves if your still interested. Fill in spot cutter holes. bead blast and prime.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:48 AM