Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: The M3 ripoff story, learn from his mistakes
yarin
post Jun 15 2003, 01:14 AM
Post #1

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Very long story, but well worth the read if you have time.
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/f...?postid=3378984
follow up: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/f...?postid=3378984

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hanged.gif)

All of a sudden I feel very educated and informed after passing on this "mint" looking 914 earlier today: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=2741 Full story on page 2 with pics.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 15 2003, 03:37 AM
Post #2

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Great story on the BMW. Very interesting reading.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 15 2003, 10:04 AM
Post #3

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

He saw all the danger signs and chose to ignore them and got burned. I don't understand why someone would spend that kind of money to fly 3000 miles to buy a 12 year old car. They aren't that rare. He could have drove to LA and found lots of those BMWs.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jun 15 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've had 3 similar episodes but, in my case, I listen to an inner voice that says yea or nay. (it says other things too but we won't go there!)
I flew to a southern Oregon town fully prepared to buy my 1st 914. Held conversations with the owner via email & phone. Even had 2 conversations with the mechanic that did all the work. Checked to make sure he was in the yellow pages and checked with the BBB for any complaints against him... he was legit. Said the car was as perfect as the owner described.
Bought the one way ticket. Was picked up by the owner in the 914. First thing I noticed was the interior was cold. Owners responce; oh ya, I forgot to mention it didn't have a heater cause it wouldn't fit with the carb set up. Once back at his house I looked it over and kept telling myself, "it's not so bad, I can fix that." Then I drove it. The tranny shifted like it had frozen molasses for oil. He said it was set up that way for better shifting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
As I drove a thick fog rolled it to the poiint that I couldn't get over 20 MPH. Just couldn't see. Between the little voice saying run away and the dense fog I took it as an omen and went back to the airport, rented a car for the 6 hour drive back (it was cheaper than another one way ticket).
3 hours into the drive my wife calls and says she found a 914 on the internet in Albany. Gave me the phone # and I went to look at it. It'd been stored for 10 years but was all there. Just needed a few items & cleaning up.
The rest is history cause the little voice said this is a good one.
That's how I got Punkin.
Thanks "Lil Voice" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_wirdgut.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 15 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

tha guy's a bonehead! he chose to nuy something he knew woulfnt be a good buy! and the "letz get you liquored up before we look at the car" story, just a bonehead! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Jun 15 2003, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

Wow. I think a visit by a couple of guidos might be the only way to get satisfaction...

In 2000 there was an ebay scam based in FL where a guy (or guys) were taking pictures of Mercedes S class cars that were parked in lots and "selling" them on ebay. Thinks about that: they photograph a mint car that's just sitting in a parking lot and then auction it on ebay. Ballsy for sure. They ripped off a number of people for substantial security deposits and a somewhat lower number for the complete purchase prices along with costly airfare and hotel stays.

I guess there's damn near an inifinite variety of scams and scammers out there.

Good luck,
Kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:04 PM