Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Double Personality, AKA trading spaces
Gunn1
post Feb 26 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

This is a great place to hang out and just read through all the Forum Posts. I cannot imagine the trial and error a guy would have to go through on his own without this site and its helpful members.

With all of the 914 builders/owners out there that have more than one car in their arsenal this question must have been asked before.

Scenario=
Car One has a clear title, many desirable options and is mechanically sound. the only problem ...car one is a rust bucket and cannot be made whole.

The second Car has basically no mechanics in it, for all intents and purposes it is a complete tub but with no rust. car Two also has no title (Bill of sale).

Question = How in the above Scenario would you be able to combine the best in both of the cars and end up with a nice car? Obviously the mechanics and all the other good stuff would be switched over to the car with the good tub, but then you would have a nice car without a title.... Any pointers, advise?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 26 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

With no Bill of sale or title. The only thing you could do is a mechanics lien. You m as you want to consult an attorney in your state to assure you can do this, but it provides a clean legal way to title the car in your name.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 26 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Your serious right ???

Go to the DMV and start the process of obtaining a title for the car !!!!

Minnesota regulations
Defective Title
If you are in possession of an untitled car that is over 6 model years old, you may apply for a defective title bond. To accomplish this, take the following steps:

Visit a Minnesota deputy registrar and provide the following information:
Complete vehicle description.
VIN.
Obtain the following from the deputy:
Affidavit of Due Diligence to be completed by you and notarized.
Defective Title Bond (Form PS2052) to be partially completed by the deputy with a calculation of the bond amount.
Once you have obtained the bond form, contact an insurance company to complete the bond.
Submit the completed bond form and an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000) to the deputy registrar's office.
Provide photos of the car.
Make any payments determined by the deputy.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 26 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Good, because I was thinking this was heading in the direction of a VIN swap.....
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Feb 26 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 26 2016, 10:09 PM) *

Your serious right ???

Go to the DMV and start the process of obtaining a title for the car !!!!
Defective Title
If you are in possession of an untitled car that is over 6 model years old, you may apply for a defective title bond. To accomplish this, take the following steps:

Visit a Minnesota deputy registrar and provide the following information:
Complete vehicle description.
VIN.
Obtain the following from the deputy:
Affidavit of Due Diligence to be completed by you and notarized.
Defective Title Bond (Form PS2052) to be partially completed by the deputy with a calculation of the bond amount.
Once you have obtained the bond form, contact an insurance company to complete the bond.
Submit the completed bond form and an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000) to the deputy registrar's office.
Provide photos of the car.
Make any payments determined by the deputy.

Serious as heart attack....Thanks Coon Dog
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Feb 26 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 26 2016, 10:16 PM) *

Good, because I was thinking this was heading in the direction of a VIN swap.....

What do you mean by a VIN swap?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 26 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

my own thought is what you do to the car to make it drivable for yourself is your own business. But don't mess around with a car and sell it to someone else or let it get sold to someone else. One of my own cars has a vin swap (not done by me) but it will never leave my family.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Feb 26 2016, 10:33 PM
Post #8

I never said anything about a VIN swap....Not sure how you would do that with all the VIN number locations per car.... or even want to do that....Pretty sure that would be illegal.

My question had to do with members advise on obtaining a title for a car that only has a bill of sale, nothing more.

Thank you
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Feb 26 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2016, 10:20 PM) *

my own thought is what you do to the car to make it drivable for yourself is your own business. But don't mess around with a car and sell it to someone else or let it get sold to someone else. One of my own cars has a vin swap (not done by me) but it will never leave my family.

Did you buy the car with the Knowledge it had a VIN swap? Or did you find out after you purchased it?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 26 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(gunn1 @ Feb 26 2016, 11:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2016, 10:20 PM) *

Did you buy the car with the Knowledge it had a VIN swap? Or did you find out after you purchased it?

Found out 25 years later. Bought it from Tom Woodward. He's pretty well known in the Porsche world and did the "restoration" when I was 17. He had a shop called Carranza restoration in NJ. Now he's in Arizona or New Mexico.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Feb 27 2016, 04:35 AM
Post #11

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

It appears that MN has a very similar process as NC does for obtaining a title. I can usually get a bonded title for a 914 for under 200 bucks. Pretty cheap and easy.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 27 2016, 05:52 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

In the state of Georgia...they don't (won't) issue a title for an old car (I forgot what the cut-off is) if there isn't one to begin with - they'll just register it with a bill of sale. Not very complicated. That doesn't help you if you sell it but other states will "sometimes" issue a title to a new owner with the proper paperwork and inspections.

Best of luck!

Tony
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 27 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #13

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

That's how Connecticut is too. Bill of sale is the only thing required for registration; if you have a title they'll sometimes actually try to take it and destroy it.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Feb 27 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

Buying a car without a title isn't a deal breaker, but it can be a pain in the arse, depending on your state's rules. Call the DMV and tell them you bought a car with a notorized bill of sale and ask what you can do, try and act real dumb, talk in front of a mirror with a slack jaw and breath through your mouth. If they think you are trying to pull a fast one they will be no help, but if they think you're a little slow they will usually walk you through it, if it can be done in your state. Some states are very easy, some not so much.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 27 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I bought my yellow car with a lien sale title. In California. It was no sweat and easy. Surprisingly easy, they DGAS.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:07 PM