Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aluminum Adjustable Throttle Pedal, anyone use one?
John
post Mar 22 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

The financial backer for our track car decided that he wanted to "bling" up the car, so he ordered up an adjustable aluminum throttle pedal.

I made fun of him every chance I coould get, but I reluctantly installed the thing and tried to adjust it, but it doesn't seem to function. The pedal seems too wide for my feet. I keep catching it with the side of my foot as I apply the brake pedal.

I have always used the "ball" of my foot to brake with and it seems awkward to do any different. The "dadster" is also having second thoughts behind his bling investment.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this Rennline Accelerator Pedal work, or has my father been screwed? (I'm about ready to put the original pedal back in)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 23 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Mar 22 2005, 11:38 PM)
The pedal seems too wide for my feet. I keep catching it with the side of my foot as I apply the brake pedal.

I have always used the "ball" of my foot to brake with and it seems awkward to do any different.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this Rennline Accelerator Pedal work...

i have one, i like it, and i don't really care if anyone calls it bling-y.

first - it comes with two bottom parts - an extended wing "racing" part and a more conventional non-extended bottom plate. if you can't adapt, even with practice, to the extended wing plate, put on the narrow one.

it does take some getting used to. mostly, you have to learn to be a bit more precise with how you move your foot onto the pedal. i brake with the ball too. it didn't take me too long to learn to aim just a bit farther left.

i think most of us have learned to brake just under the big toe, so we'll have the whole foot to roll over onto the throttle. with the RennLine, you can brake with the middle of the foot (probably better, ergonomically) and still be able to roll in some throttle or - with the extended wing, actually blip it with the heel where that works better.

what i've learned to do is brake with the middle of the foot, andi can roll in some throttle as the side of my shoe catches the accel pedal. with the wing, especially in traffic (and on a hill...) it's really easy to bring up some revs with the wing.

so - my suggestion - it's like everything you change on the car - you have to learn how to use it best. once you do, you will be rewarded.
+Quote Post
Rough_Rider
post Mar 23 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Smurf Zone

Member No.: 2,547

practice & more practice.....

If you've got the "who's your daddy" rennline totally adjustable pedal. Try moving the bottom plate further away. to prevent heel catching.

To minimise hitting it with the side of your foot your only option is to loosen the pedal bolts & sliding the throttle pedal to the right. I elongated the mounting holes, but the rennline's should alreayd have slots.

Hey worse case i'll buy it off ya. If the price is right :-)
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 24 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #4

member? what's a member?

ArtechnikA,

Have you ever experienced the thing sticking full throttle? I made sure the cable moves freely and that it's not wrapped around the clutch cable, but I had it stick twice now (in about a 10 minute time span). I already am using the narrower lower plate. Both the upper and lower plates seem too wide for my big-ass feet.

as the side of my shoe catches the accel pedal.

Yes. This is my problem.

Rough-Rider,

I have moved the pedal as far in the slots as it will go, yet it still doesn't seem far enough. This weekend I may try a few things like reducing the weight at the top of the pedal to let it come back quicker. I could lower the upper pad to do this.

I will keep trying for a while.

Thanks for the input.

BTW

In my street car, I made a throttle pedal out of a stainless steel hinge, a flat plate (same dimensions as original) and the ball socket from the old pedal. That one works really well. I think I spent $5.00 on the SS hinge. Perhaps I'll go that way if I don't like this Rennline one.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2005, 01:27 PM
Post #5

rich herzog

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Mar 24 2005, 02:10 PM)
Have you ever experienced the thing sticking full throttle?

exactly once, and it was when a folding knife i thought i'd lost came flying up from under the seat where it'd been stuck for a couple of weeks and wedged itself into the hinge area. figures that that was also the day the lead that enables the rev-limiter in the HI-6 came adrift and i was running somewhere around 7000 rpm (i use a 7300 911S rev-limited dizzy rotor as a backup...) before i could switch off -- which was *also* how i discovered that my ignition switch locks the steering column even if you don't remove the key (shouldn't do that...)

i've had *no* troubles with the unit itself, once i got the pivot set right. i don't like that i have to disconnect the pivot in order to remove the pedal board (the RennLine pedal caps and board don't have a lot of choices about how things need to be lined up...) but i don't do that very often.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 24 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #6

member? what's a member?

On my last go around, I disabled the steering lock it will never lock again (I cut the plunger off).

Now my key only turns on ignition and kicks the starter. (Oh, and fills the hole in the steering column)

I don't have any loose articles (or anything else) in my interior. I removed everything from the inside this winter.

I'll probably try adjusting one last time before I give up on the Rennline pedal....
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #7

rich herzog

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Mar 24 2005, 03:33 PM)
Now my key only turns on ignition and kicks the starter. (Oh, and fills the hole in the steering column)

I'll probably try adjusting one last time before I give up on the Rennline pedal....

part of me thinks i should disable the steering lock, but another part thinks i may be flat-towing the car at some point and it could be a nice feature. i wonder if there is a way to secure it with a pin and disconnect it from the ignition. (oh - the car under discussion is a 911 with the key in the dash, but we can pretend it's my 914.6 since it uses the same mechanism and column ...)

just so all the possibilities are being considered - maybe there is something in the throttle itself that is getting stuck or going over-center if you have the lever arm adjusted so it can move the throttle rod/cable/whatever more than the factory pedal did... this is a standard thing to watch out for when throttle links are being tinkered with ...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:00 AM