Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tires for Riviera's, Need to find 1 or 2 tires
solex
post Mar 23 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

Hello,

The PO installed 3 very good tires Centennial MKII and 1 very good Toyo 300 on my car. I would like to match the tires and have found out that these tires are no longer produced. I have checked around but no one has any old stock, I also called Toyo and Dunlop/Goodyear.

I am assuming that the Riviera's are 4.5 in wide since the 165 fits well on the rim, is this true, if not what is the widest tire I can fit on the rim?

Also were can I get tires for this diameter/width rim no one seems to carry 165R15's? I am working on other things on the car and eventually will go with a set of 5.5's (or larger) but just can't swing it now.

Thanks,
Dan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 23 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I think the rivs are 5 1/2", but the backset may be wrong for the 914. Most rives were made for VWs, but there were some made for the 914. 195/60 should fit ok. 205/60s will most likely hit the fender lips, or you'll have to "roll" the fender.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Mar 23 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #3

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

the Riv's should be 5 inch, i use yoko avs db in 195 65 on my Rivs. they are quite, handle great, and have great wet and snow traction. the set on the rear of my car has 20 k on them and they still have plenty of tread, but i drive the car hard and burn up fronts in about 10 k. i dont rotate em because for me buying 2 tires every 10 k is better than 4 every 15 k. also at tire rack they are like 67 bucks iirc.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 23 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

~50 bucks a pop, cooper 165 SR 15's (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 24 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 23 2005, 06:49 AM)
I think the rivs are 5 1/2", but the backset may be wrong for the 914. Most rives were made for VWs, but there were some made for the 914. 195/60 should fit ok. 205/60s will most likely hit the fender lips, or you'll have to "roll" the fender.

Last night I measured the rim width at 6-1/4" and the backspacing at 4" is a rim for a 914 that will fit 195-60/65's

Thanks,
Dan
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 24 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Was that measured on the outside of the rim?
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 24 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 24 2005, 06:05 AM)
Was that measured on the outside of the rim?

The width was measured from the edge of the front and rear of the rim.

The offset was measure from the hub mount surface to the edge of the rear of the rim.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 24 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

I "think" you measure the inside of the rim where the tire bead seats to, but I've already been wrong once this morning! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 24 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 24 2005, 06:28 AM)
I "think" you measure the inside of the rim where the tire bead seats to, but I've already been wrong once this morning! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

I'll have to take it to a tire shop to remove the tire to do that.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 24 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #10

I drive my car everyday

It don't really matter Dan. The 195's should fit just fine. 205's might rub the fender. If ya don't mind rolling the fender, 205s are a better size in my 2 cent book. I know everyone bashes rivs, and thinks Fuchs are the only way to go, but I like Rivs just fine. Makes the 914 look like the hot wheels car it is. I have Westerns on my driver and love them.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TC/914
post Mar 24 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,981

Hi,

What do the spokes look like on your Rivs? Are they smooth and tuck a little "in" where they meet the rim? Are they smooth on the sides but with a flat panel on the outer face that is polished a bit? Are they rough cast all over, without a panel, but with a brushed look to the aluminum rim?

Different wheels were manufactured for different cars at different times (although there is some cross over).

TC
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 24 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (TC/914 @ Mar 24 2005, 06:40 AM)
Hi,

What do the spokes look like on your Rivs? Are they smooth and tuck a little "in" where they meet the rim? Are they smooth on the sides but with a flat panel on the outer face that is polished a bit? Are they rough cast all over, without a panel, but with a brushed look to the aluminum rim?

Different wheels were manufactured for different cars at different times (although there is some cross over).

TC

TC
They are smooth on the sides but with a flat panel on the outer face that is polished a bit. Similar to the one pictured here (IMG:http://www.bugzone.net/pict/rimriviera.gif)
+Quote Post
TC/914
post Mar 24 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,981

Those are the later reproduction "Riviera Style" wheels made for the VW market. They're a bit narrow and not quite as strong, but will probably be just fine. You can put up to 205's on them without a problem with the wheel, but you'll have to deal with the rear wheel wells rubbing the tire. They're popular with the VW crowd because, unlike the genuine Riverias, they'll fit with drop spindles.

The smooth spoke, cast finish Rivieras were offered by the Porsche dealers as optional sport wheels in the mid seventies and sold as well as the Fuchs around here.

These early Rivs are a really nice wheel, clean five spoke design with a purpose-built look. Thicker outer rim with a wider/higher area where the bead of the tire seats. I tigged up the "dummy" lug nut pockets on mine and they look kinda neat. They're on my Ghia with 215 x 75 x 15 Wranglers mounted on them in the rear. It REALLY gives the car long legs for highway running.

Luck,

TC
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Mar 24 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #14

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 24 2005, 06:37 AM)
It don't really matter Dan. The 195's should fit just fine. 205's might rub the fender. If ya don't mind rolling the fender, 205s are a better size in my 2 cent book. I know everyone bashes rivs, and thinks Fuchs are the only way to go, but I like Rivs just fine. Makes the 914 look like the hot wheels car it is. I have Westerns on my driver and love them.

i thought i was the only one in this world that thought Rivs were okay looking....im not alone... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) PHEW...BTA my 14 came with blacked out rivs....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:18 PM