Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best aftermarket shifter for a 915?, Best aftermarket shifter for a 915?
john914somers
post Mar 4 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,051
Region Association: Northern California

This forum may not be the best place to ask 915 questions but I believe there to be many knowledgeable people perusing this site. So who do you think makes the best shifter for a 915? I use to think Hargate was good but I recently heard some bad things about them, perhaps it was unwarranted? What do you have? Why do you like it? BTW my tranny is freshly rebuilt and I have some AMAZING Tangerine linkage. What you got? And THANKS!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 5 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have no personal experience with their 915 products but their other stuff is primo - I'd check into WEVO.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 6 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

If you want to put it to bed and never look back...truly an amazing piece. However, in full disclosure, I am using a modern gearbox that uses cable shifters. The 915 is certainly not exactly the same but if even 75% of what I've experienced you'd be more than delighted.

Tony

http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index.php?a=24&lang=eng

Although not the same trans (G50 variant)...I would believe it would shift very close to what is depicted in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhjTHmKGpk
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Mar 6 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,907

That shifter looks insane. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
Kinda off topic...
I can't visualize what a cable shifter would look like at the transmission. 915 or 901. Anyone done this? Pictures?

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 6 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Not a clue...I just saw a thread last week where Andys was building a 915 cable shift conversion for an LS1 car.

T

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Mar 6 2016, 12:21 PM) *

That shifter looks insane. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
Kinda off topic...
I can't visualize what a cable shifter would look like at the transmission. 915 or 901. Anyone done this? Pictures?

+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 6 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 6 2016, 07:08 AM) *

If you want to put it to bed and never look back...truly an amazing piece. However, in full disclosure, I am using a modern gearbox that uses cable shifters. The 915 is certainly not exactly the same but if even 75% of what I've experienced you'd be more than delighted.

Tony

Although not the same trans (G50 variant)...I would believe it would shift very close to what is depicted in this video.

Attached Image

Looks super positive when shifting, looking at the video. If it performs like that under race conditions, what a great solution for big dollars less than a sequential. They say they have one for a 901; can you imagine having super positive shifting like that in a 901?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 6 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Randal - Again, I couldn't find any examples with the older gearboxes (video)...only a matter of time. In my case, I am totally pleased and if you have a straight shift (3 to 4 for example), they can be executed lightening fast.

From a "tracking" view point with an older chassis - its a game-changer. It literally is the best manual shifter I've ever used - regardless of age or technology. Its that good. Its also like I'm cheating...as in its not fair to others (in older equipment).

Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTgOCuiczAE

Will be live in a few minutes...just for shifting.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 6 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 6 2016, 10:44 AM) *

Randal - Again, I couldn't find any examples with the older gearboxes (video)...only a matter of time. In my case, I am totally pleased and if you have a straight shift (3 to 4 for example), they can be executed lightening fast. Apples to oranges though...

From a "tracking" view point with an older chassis - its a game-changer. It literally is the best manual shifter I've ever used - regardless of age or technology. Its that good. Its also like I'm cheating...as in its not fair to others (in older equipment).

T

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 6 2016, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 6 2016, 07:08 AM) *

Tony

Attached Image

Looks super positive when shifting, looking at the video. If it performs like that under race conditions, what a great solution for big dollars less than a sequential. They say they have one for a 901; can you imagine having super positive shifting like that in a 901?

I agree it would be a game changer. Was just thinking about how clunky the first to second shift is in a 901, even with all the fancy shifters I had, it was not positive. So usually shifted faster than the syncro would mesh. Also the 4th to third downshift was problematic. One time at Sears I down shifted from 4th to 3rd and because the rpm's were matched, it went into first. When the clutch came out I found myself spinning right next to the wall, going into turn 11. After that built a lock out mechanism. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But still having a device that shifts positive on a 901 would be a big time enhancement.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 6 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

But I'm not sure "any shifter" will eliminate the inherent problems or designs found in the early boxes. It probably can be improved but by how much is the question...I don't know. Someone step-up and buy one and let everyone know! If NOTHING else, the CAE shifters look great...

Another plus with the modern trans and pattern is rarely would I need to ever use 2nd gear on track. Therefore, I'm just using a 4-speed in a classic H-Pattern. If you have enough engine and its legal (PCA Club Racing - no Historics) I'd suggest moving to a modern box.Its obviously not NEARLY as quick as a true sequential but I'd rather have my set-up over a PDK. I don't even really like the PDK's I've driven on track. Sorry, off topic.

Tony

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 6 2016, 02:58 PM) *

But still having a device that shifts positive on a 901 would be a big time enhancement.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 6 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 6 2016, 01:21 PM) *

But I'm not sure "any shifter" will eliminate the inherent problems or designs found in the early boxes. It probably can be improved but by how much is the question...I don't know. Someone step-up and buy one and let everyone know! If NOTHING else, the CAE shifters look great...

Tony

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 6 2016, 02:58 PM) *

OH, didn't see that video earlier. Wow is all I can say.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Mar 7 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 538

I bought a JWest Engineering shifter for my 914 with a 915 gearbox a long time ago. I have never installed it and have recently decided to go a different route for transmission by using a Subaru engine and transmission. I like the crisp shifts of the CAE unit and have a couple of questions:

1) How does transmission selection affect shifter selection? That is, won't any shifter work with any transmission? Can I use the JWest shifter with a Subaru gearbox?

2) How does the JWest product compare to the CAE unit?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 7 2016, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Soloracer: First of all, I'm not the most knowledgeable about this but hopefully someone else will chime in who is...here is what I believe I know. FWIW

1) No. Shifters are not "universal"...they are made to work or be calibrated for a transmissions pattern and throw length. That is not to say that shifters (aftermarket) built for the same trans won't work. Obviously.

2) I can't speak to how either the J-West or CAE work or compare with a 915 box. Can anyone at least speak to how much of an improvement the JWest shifter makes compared to a stock set up?

Tony

QUOTE(soloracer @ Mar 7 2016, 02:55 PM) *

I bought a JWest Engineering shifter for my 914 with a 915 gearbox a long time ago. I have never installed it and have recently decided to go a different route for transmission by using a Subaru engine and transmission. I like the crisp shifts of the CAE unit and have a couple of questions:

1) How does transmission selection affect shifter selection? That is, won't any shifter work with any transmission? Can I use the JWest shifter with a Subaru gearbox?

2) How does the JWest product compare to the CAE unit?
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 15 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #13

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

I have a JWest Rennshift in Papa Smurf with a 915 transmission - also have one in Huey with a 901. Honestly, the set up we have in both is about as perfect as I could ever expect in 914's. I am a HUGE proponent of the Rennshift product.

This has Rennshift, Tangerine shift rods from shifter to trans, and Vellios side shift conversion on the 915.

Here's a video...not sure if you can tell how quick/easy it is to shift. Though what you hear is the short 4th and TALL 5th...I loved the close ratio to 4th, but the huge jump to 5th was horrible. Fixed now...as soon as we get the engine back.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) but that's another story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rss1XBTbtqE
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 15 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I can tell you feel very comfortable at CMP - looking good. That 4th to 5th upshift - LOL!

Tony
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 16 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 15 2016, 05:46 PM) *

I have a JWest Rennshift in Papa Smurf with a 915 transmission - also have one in Huey with a 901. Honestly, the set up we have in both is about as perfect as I could ever expect in 914's. I am a HUGE proponent of the Rennshift product.

This has Rennshift, Tangerine shift rods from shifter to trans, and Vellios side shift conversion on the 915.

Here's a video...not sure if you can tell how quick/easy it is to shift. Though what you hear is the short 4th and TALL 5th...I loved the close ratio to 4th, but the huge jump to 5th was horrible. Fixed now...as soon as we get the engine back.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) but that's another story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rss1XBTbtqE

Nice driving in the video!! Glad you've fixed the ratio in 5th.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 16 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I have always used Chris Foley's shifting products and can attest to the fact that they work. Chris has done a good job getting the slop out of the linkage. Well worth the money. If I remember correctly I had one of Chris's first commercially available units for bolting to a 901 and later updated using the firewall bushing.

Of course all that 901 shifting is behind me now. Looking forward to the sequential shifter in the DSR. Will be using the manual method to start, but will likely upgrade to a paddle shifter, along with all the fancy electronic bits, later.

When I say manual I mean using a cable assembly tied directly to the transmission. This will be routed on the left side, as this allows for straighter angles.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 16 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #17

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 16 2016, 01:30 PM) *

Actually, it was 4th that was the problem. 5th is stock, 4th was VERY short - only a few hundred RPM above 3rd. When we got the trans, it has a short jump from 3rd to 4th to 5th. Max speed at 7500 rpm was 129!!! We put on a stock 5th for that weekend because you can do that without taking the trans out of the car or disassembling it. After that weekend, we put a stock 4th gear in. I'd like to say its better, but I only got 5 laps until the engine went bang again (this was last year)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 16 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 16 2016, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 16 2016, 01:30 PM) *

Actually, it was 4th that was the problem. 5th is stock, 4th was VERY short - only a few hundred RPM above 3rd. When we got the trans, it has a short jump from 3rd to 4th to 5th. Max speed at 7500 rpm was 129!!! We put on a stock 5th for that weekend because you can do that without taking the trans out of the car or disassembling it. After that weekend, we put a stock 4th gear in. I'd like to say its better, but I only got 5 laps until the engine went bang again (this was last year)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Right, 4th.

Engine sure sounded good. Has to be a huge disappointment to lose the motor, and the expense!!
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 16 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #19

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 16 2016, 04:42 PM) *

Has to be a huge disappointment to lose the motor, and the expense!!

5 times in 3 years now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 16 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

You know...it might be operator error - sign up for GREEN group in June and we'll save you from yourself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

T

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 16 2016, 03:44 PM) *

5 times in 3 years now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 09:49 PM