Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> big progress recently,, filled the hole in the engine space with the right motor?
porschetub
post Mar 8 2016, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

engine in and happy guy......a huge milestone

Attached Image
Attached Image

more to follow,jeez its a tight fit,PO has screwed up with his custom steel engine tin as the front section is out by a lot ,can sort that but think the engine is to far back?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 8 2016, 04:58 AM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 8 2016, 02:50 AM) *

engine in and happy guy......a huge milestone

Congratulations, Porschetub. That's a very good looking ride. Look forward to hearing more.
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Mar 8 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

congrats on the progress... summer is just around the corner and it looks like you might be on the road in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Mar 8 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #4

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

What mount did you use? Looking good.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 8 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 9 2016, 01:14 AM) *

What mount did you use? Looking good.

John the mount is a copy of the stock one,seam and plug welded to the bulkhead,very nicely done by the PO's restorer,it uses NOS rubber mount and plates.
The carrier mount bolted to the case is a 911 one modified as the original ,this came with the car when I bought it.

lowbridge ,summer is nearing the end in my part of the word,very hot this year and record high temps....not always the best for this work,looks of ice water drunk during this work and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) after (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

beatnavy,this work has taken a long time to get to this point as I always seems to find something to do on the motor before it went in or work in the empty engine space.
Engine is in as a test fit to establish placement of engine oil hoses and pipes,measurements will be made for the engine wiring loom at the same time.
My intention is to do one more refit with everything sorted then drive.
Working @ the moment to get the clutch sorted,throttle cable shortened and do final fit of muffler on to my headers.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Mar 8 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #6

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(LowBridge @ Mar 8 2016, 07:14 AM) *

.. summer is just around the corner and it looks like you might be on the road in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

Winter is just around the corner for him.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 8 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 9 2016, 01:08 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:49 AM) *

.. summer is just around the corner and it looks like you might be on the road in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

Winter is just around the corner for him.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No issue Joe we have halfass winters here,I can wear overalls and not sweat my ass off under the car,good progress today as not helping builder on my ongoing house reno,car time rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
Got clutch cable (too long) sorted and working on throttle cable ,I was a cheap ass and used a 911 throttle arm modified and drilled the trans for the bell crank pivot,bellcrank (a 911 part) was cut/rewelded
to suit full throttle movement.
Fixed rubber lined stainless loops to hold cables up on engine case found to be handy and in the right place.
Pics to follow and cheers for the comments all.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 9 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2016, 08:08 PM) *

No issue Joe we have halfass winters here,I can wear overalls and not sweat my ass off under the car,good progress today as not helping builder on my ongoing house reno,car time rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
Got clutch cable (too long) sorted and working on throttle cable ,I was a cheap ass and used a 911 throttle arm modified and drilled the trans for the bell crank pivot,bellcrank (a 911 part) was cut/rewelded
Fixed rubber lined stainless loops to hold cables up on engine case found to be handy and in the right place.

Clutch cable sorted by cutting 12mm of clevis end,sorta found my issue as the clutch lever shaft is pretty worn or is a larger for a reason ? certainly not "slotted out" due to wear,changes little as the cable was too long.
Kind of went out of the square with the throttle setup ,drilled the trans case and fitted bellcrank pivot,then modded a 911 bellcrank to suit.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Locking grubscrews to fit in to cable end and found a heater cable rubber bellows to keep some of the dirt out.
Throttle pedal feels good but a little firm,can fine tune that.
Its a pain lying on the sandy ground under the car but my nearest shed is full of ever diminishing building materials so will have space soon...I hope.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 10 2016, 07:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

Looks nice. I could be wrong but the seasons are "flipped" down under...

Tony

congrats on the progress... summer is just around the corner and it looks like you might be on the road in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Mar 10 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,045

that will teach me to look at the posters "location" before I comment going forward...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) .. I'll stick with something I am good at (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 10 2016, 12:51 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 11 2016, 02:02 AM) *

Looks nice. I could be wrong but the seasons are "flipped" down under...

Tony

Thanks Tony,yes correct,November it starts to warm up again,January to March can be hot,theres normally a winter chance early April,Easter seems to bring on that change .
Climate in my area is great really...only snows on the hills in winter.

lowbridge don't worry about getting it wrong ,most people don't even know where New Zealand is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
post Mar 10 2016, 01:02 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats! You will have a smile from one ear to the other when you open her up.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 10 2016, 01:11 PM
Post #14

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2016, 08:57 PM) *

Clutch cable sorted by cutting 12mm of clevis end,sorta found my issue as the clutch lever shaft is pretty worn or is a larger for a reason ? certainly not "slotted out" due to wear,changes little as the cable was too long.
Kind of went out of the square with the throttle setup ,drilled the trans case and fitted bellcrank pivot,then modded a 911 bellcrank to suit.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Locking grubscrews to fit in to cable end and found a heater cable rubber bellows to keep some of the dirt out.
Its a pain lying on the sandy ground under the car but my nearest shed is full of ever diminishing building materials so will have space soon...I hope.

You might compare your bellcrank operation to mine. Notice that mine pulls from the top with the cable and the crank pivots down to pull the shaft.

I don't get any stiffness or resistance.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 10 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

You might want to have someone operate the clutch when you're observing the linkage...I've seen more than once where there is excessive movement/bending of the
brackets when engaged.

Tony
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 10 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #16

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=142274
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 11 2016, 03:13 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 11 2016, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2016, 08:57 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

You might compare your bellcrank operation to mine. Notice that mine pulls from the top with the cable and the crank pivots down to pull the shaft.

I don't get any stiffness or resistance.

no its all good can move it with foot fine but did this yesterday with my hand,as I said fine tuning required,I did it my way cause couldn't justify the conversion kit which INMO is overpriced from 2 suppliers I looked @,perhaps that's the tightass engineer coming out in me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .
Got the bellcrank from Brad @914ltd and the 911 throttle rod off local auction site,total cost around $70.
Welding the cable retainer on the back of the clutch cable roller bracket isn't my idea but is a good solution.
I see you are running a bronze/brass roller cable any issues with metal to metal wear? cheers.

+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 11 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #18

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I mirrored mine after this photo. It's not from my car but mine looks exactly like it.

I used the plastic roller.
+Quote Post
post Mar 11 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Again, looking good. I have a question about the engine.
Is it a 2.0 , 2.2 , 2.4, 2.7, 3.0,3.2 ( with early by valve covers) ...T, E or S with 40s ?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 14 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 11 2016, 03:15 PM) *

Yep u caught me out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ,I liked this idea and went that way and it works....funny others are looking @ it really easy,thanks.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:43 AM