Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chalon Kit or GT kit Which one ? Feedback
Larmo63
post Mar 12 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

"Shalom"

LOLOLOL.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 12 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 12 2016, 07:07 PM) *

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to convert every 1.7L car I find into a 3.2L six cyllinder with a chalon kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

There's a 2.7 rayco around here that was for sale for $10K not long ago.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 12 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #23

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 12 2016, 08:02 PM) *

The GT is a mod with a real world purpose. The Chalon changes what was a 914 into something that looks different but doesn't add any driving enhancement.

Brett

I owned an '84 RX-7 GSL-SE and whenever I see a Chalon, I know what inspired them to design the Mazda... Not a bad looking Mazda. Terrible thing to do to a 914...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 12 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Shall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) The shalooof... ShaLame....shall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) was always questionable, and when it was the least-questionable, was some time ago.

The GT style has always been awesome and will remain timeless.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 13 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 12 2016, 04:54 PM) *

Shall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) The shalooof... ShaLame....shall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) was always questionable, and when it was the least-questionable, was some time ago.

The GT style has always been awesome and will remain timeless.

I liked the shalom and rayco conversions back in the 80's, but I always liked the GT style better. I just hated fiberglass fenders and couldn't afford the steel GT flairs. Thanks to everyone's best friend at AA, we now have lower cost steel replica GT fenders. Say what you want about George, but I'm happy he made the GT steel flairs happen. People say they will never sell there car, but crap happens. A rayco or shalom, will be a lot harder to sell versus a GT clone.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Mar 13 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #26

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 12 2016, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 12 2016, 07:07 PM) *

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to convert every 1.7L car I find into a 3.2L six cyllinder with a chalon kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

There's a 2.7 rayco around here that was for sale for $10K not long ago.

I'm still waiting on my winning lottery tickets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 25 2017, 12:56 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Resurrecting an old thread.

I realize I am in the minority here but I like the Chalon kit. The problem is that almost none of them are done right.

The wheel openings are bigger than the factory 914 openings but people typically use the same size wheels and tires as they would on a normal 914 and it makes the whole car look like a clown car.

Here are a couple Chalon kits. One that looks like a clown car and one that does not.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The project I am building with my son will have a Chalon kit on it. All four corners need serious body work and it will be cheaper and easier to remove the trouble spots and install the kit than it will be to fix all the issues the car has now. I've included a picture of how it looked when I bought it so you can see that "diminishing the value" is pretty close to impossible with this car.

Attached Image

The plans I have for it will be unlike any Chalon conversion done in the past. I know I am not going to change most peoples opinion but I guarantee it will be different than any Chalon you have seen before.
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Apr 25 2017, 06:37 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 25 2017, 12:56 AM) *

I realize I am in the minority here but I like the Chalon kit. The problem is that almost none of them are done right.

The wheel openings are bigger than the factory 914 openings but people typically use the same size wheels and tires as they would on a normal 914 and it makes the whole car look like a clown car.

Here are a couple Chalon kits. One that looks like a clown car and one that does not.

The project I am building with my son will have a Chalon kit on it. All four corners need serious body work and it will be cheaper and easier to remove the trouble spots and install the kit than it will be to fix all the issues the car has now. I've included a picture of how it looked when I bought it so you can see that "diminishing the value" is pretty close to impossible with this car.

The plans I have for it will be unlike any Chalon conversion done in the past. I know I am not going to change most peoples opinion but I guarantee it will be different than any Chalon you have seen before.

Does anyone know how large and wide a wheel a 5-lug 911 converted Chalon bodied car can accept? To eliminate that Clown Car look.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Apr 25 2017, 06:43 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 25 2017, 02:56 AM) *

I know it's blasphemy to like Chalon kits, but I'm with you here.
Here's mine which has been modified somewhat by deleting the accordion bumper extensions and adding air scoops in front of rear wheel wells (like this when i got it)
I've put the external oil cooler behind the passenger side air intake. Made the plumbing very easy. Now with 17" wheels:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 25 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I don't dislike the shalom, but I like the GT look better. Plus the GT is steel versus fiber glass and it's factory designed / race inspired.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Apr 25 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #31

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

GT for me Chalon kit looks like an old RX7. It's all about how you feel. It's all about the mind though if you feel like your the man in the Chalon kit then go for it. Do what you like.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 25 2017, 10:35 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(motorvated @ Apr 25 2017, 05:37 AM) *

Does anyone know how large and wide a wheel a 5-lug 911 converted Chalon bodied car can accept? To eliminate that Clown Car look.

I don't have that information now but I will be doing a lot of testing once I have the kit installed and a 5 lug conversion completed. I've seen pictures of a Chalon with 18" wheels from a 996.

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 25 2017, 06:39 AM) *

I don't dislike the shalom, but I like the GT look better. Plus the GT is steel versus fiber glass and it's factory designed / race inspired.

I like the GT look as well.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 25 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 12 2016, 05:51 PM) *

I owned an '84 RX-7 GSL-SE and whenever I see a Chalon, I know what inspired them to design the Mazda... Not a bad looking Mazda. Terrible thing to do to a 914...

That would make the design progression look like this:

930 Slant Nose -> 914 Chalon -> RX-7

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

It's an interesting theory but I disagree. The rx-7 was a copy of the 924 and the second gen rx-7 was an almost line for line copy of the 944 Turbo.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Apr 25 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #34

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 25 2017, 09:47 AM) *

Attached Image

It's an interesting theory but I disagree. The rx-7 was a copy of the 924 and the second gen rx-7 was an almost line for line copy of the 944 Turbo.

I'd take that 914 Chalon any day of the week....except I would lose the paint stripes. That particular car shows that if done right and the right attention to detail, that the Chalon kit can look quite well.

Who's car is that by the way? And is it for sale? ;-)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 30 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 25 2017, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 25 2017, 09:47 AM) *

Attached Image

I'd take that 914 Chalon any day of the week....except I would lose the paint stripes. That particular car shows that if done right and the right attention to detail, that the Chalon kit can look quite well.

Who's car is that by the way? And is it for sale? ;-)

I/we will not be doing stripes. I am thinking about smoothing/removing the three vertical/curved lines from the sail panel area.

I don't know who owns the one it the picture. I found the image doing a google search for "914 Chalon". There are several pictures of it floating around and I think some of them come from a "for sale" post somewhere but I have no idea how old the post is. Sorry I can't be more help.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 30 2017, 01:50 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

If you have a good running junk car with issues in all four corners ,go for it...really dated conversion now.
Really (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) if you look @ it for too long,not everyones taste.
+Quote Post
canaus
post Mar 18 2021, 10:33 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 24,766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Resurrecting an old thread. Is anyone out there?

Looking at purchasing a 914 with a Chalon kit. The car is in good shape but I would have trouble sleeping at night with its Chalon looks.

Yes find another car is an option, but not many around and this one is in good shape.

What needs to be done to return the car to body lines or maybe there is a halfway compromise. Leave the Chalon fenders and replace the front & rear bumpers. The scalloped sail would need to go.

Has anyone done anything like this? Just trying to get an idea of the extent of work.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 18 2021, 11:09 PM
Post #38

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Many have tried to undo the shame of the chalame. It's not the best starting place.

Since you are in a place where it's hard to find a good car.... I see your dilemma. A good chalon could have good bones. Either way, it's a lot of work. Are you up for it? It will be a huge amount of metal fab and body work. What's your background on such?
+Quote Post
canaus
post Mar 18 2021, 11:18 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 24,766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 19 2021, 03:09 PM) *

Many have tried to undo the shame of the chalame. It's not the best starting place.

Since you are in a place where it's hard to find a good car.... I see your dilemma. A good chalon could have good bones. Either way, it's a lot of work. Are you up for it?

Not knowing how the Chalon body bits were installed and trying to figure out how to remove them.

Fenders - are the Chalon fender glassed onto the original metal fenders and sheet metal cut out?

Bumpers - front and rear should be easy to remove as I would think they are bolted on. But there looks like a valence, between the pop up head lights
And under bumper cowling
And returns on the ends of the bumper, where the rubber accordion is.

The Chalon sail looks like it would require cutting out

Yup, bit of work.
Can anyone shed anymore light on the matter?
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Mar 18 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

If it were a good rust free chassis, then putting stock fenders or quarter panels could be cheaper than fixing a rusty chassis.
Rust free doesn't really exist and a chalon is not a likely place to find it.

Buy the best condition 914 you can find/afford and enjoy it.

Jim
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:03 AM