Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My slow-paced, mundane progress thread
RoadGlue
post Dec 7 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #161

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 7 2017, 04:23 PM) *

nice work.
funny, I have the exact same paint in my garage, just waiting for me to finally prep the same parts and paint them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I thought it was a good product to work with, but I'd be curious to see what you think after you've used it.

I sprayed the primer in cold weather too. Somewhere in the low 40s, and didn't have any issues. It _might_ have been in the 50s when I sprayed the urethane. Again, no issues whatsoever.

Good luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 18 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #162

Sonoma County Gear Head

Been a week or so since I last posted an update.

Tried starting the car last weekend. However my new battery acted like it was dead, though it tested fine. Almost my new ign. switch stopped working after a few tries. WTF? Turns out I hadn't tightened the ground strap to the gearbox. From what I can tell I only fried the start position on the ign switch and cooked my CHT gauge. Thankfully I have another NIB gauge and my replacement switch just arrived today.

Used a momentary switch to make a starter-switch in the engine bay just for getting her going. Once the grounding issues was resolved I found that I was only getting back fires when trying to start it up. Checked and double-checked that the rotor was pointing where it needed to be at TDC, wire order, etc. Eventually had to call it quits until Tuesday. Had my friend and the person who built the motor come by to check my work and found that he had installed the distributor drive gear 180 deg out.

Once that was sorted she fired right up, but I had some terrible exhaust leaks so we shut her down.

Pro Tip - Always fit the exhaust on the stand. I didn't because I didn't see an easy way to get the motor off the stand with it upside down or sideways.

I paid the price for that. While tightening the exhaust I pulled a stud and broke another. I take full responsibility for the snapped stud, but the once that pulled never got close to being torqued.

Long story short, I was able to to get the stud out using a Snap On CJ700-1 stud extractor. Really dodged a bullet there. Just barely had enough thread left and clearance to make that work.

Fixing the pulled stud with a helicoil this week and hopefully we'll be in better shape to actually drive the car by next weekend.

Attached Image
New Ignighter III

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 18 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #163

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 7 2017, 01:16 AM) *
It's getting down into the 30s and my garage is in the 50s at night, maybe lower.
Well, isn't that cute? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Looks like you're making great progress. It's the ol' 90/10 rule. But keep after it. You're almost there.

BTW, I really don't think that was a Triad. At the very least the actual tailpipes are huge, and I don't remember a Triad being like that.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 19 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #164

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 18 2017, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 7 2017, 01:16 AM) *
It's getting down into the 30s and my garage is in the 50s at night, maybe lower.
Well, isn't that cute? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Looks like you're making great progress. It's the ol' 90/10 rule. But keep after it. You're almost there.

BTW, I really don't think that was a Triad. At the very least the actual tailpipes are huge, and I don't remember a Triad being like that.

Hey, I'm a proud Californian wuss. :-)

You know how large my garage is. It's pretty well insulated too. Any ideas for a relatively economical way to heat it up?

I'm inclined to agree that it's a a Triad copy.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 19 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #165

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 19 2017, 08:58 AM) *
It's pretty well insulated too. Any ideas for a relatively economical way to heat it up?

If it's well insulated you can get one of them electric oil-filled radiators and set it to 65ish. Once it gets there it won't take much energy to keep it at that level.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 19 2017, 11:51 AM
Post #166

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 19 2017, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 19 2017, 08:58 AM) *
It's pretty well insulated too. Any ideas for a relatively economical way to heat it up?

If it's well insulated you can get one of them electric oil-filled radiators and set it to 65ish. Once it gets there it won't take much energy to keep it at that level.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I can try! I actually have one already, but didn't feel it would have enough oomph to do the job.

I'm usually only out there in spurts and often right after work. I wouldn't want to leave it on while I'm away, so having something that could be more "on demand" would be helpful.

Good idea though and it could turn out to be useful during the upcoming holiday break.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 19 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #167

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Propane heaters work well. I had one at my dads place and it was nice. I'm looking into the small Reznor hanging shop heaters for my garage at home. They're available used all the time for ~$100.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.homedepot.com-419-1513706054.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 26 2017, 12:20 PM
Post #168

Sonoma County Gear Head

That oil-filled radiator style heater worked great in the garage. Took the edge off and if I was close to it I'd find myself pushing it out of the way.

Fixed both exhaust studs on Thurs evening and then drove around the neighborhood for the first time in seven or so years Saturday. Happy Christmas to me!

Still have an exhaust leak I haven't been able to totally adjust out. This set of HE's I have might not me totally true/straight. IDK... Think I'll heat cycle it a few more times and carefully try to add a bit more torque. If that doesn't work I'll pull them and put a straight edge on it and see how it looks. Might need a new set though. These are pretty ratty anyways.

Also installed another ign switch. Think I can swap it out and put it all back together in about 25 min now, while sleeping. Anyways, didn't fix the START position problem. Pulled the fuse block, fixed a few little issues, cleaned up the main ground lug. Still no dice.

Pulled the passenger seat. Put the switch into START and wiggled the sea tbelt interlock wires and BOOM, it wanted to turn over. Didn't have chance to investigate further, but at least I know where the issue is.

Tonight I'm having my neighbor come over to TIG weld the engine lid hinge mounts. I installed Sergio's GT lid and the springs appear to have a lot more tension. Both hinge mounts ripped on the first close. DOH.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 26 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #169

Sonoma County Gear Head

Also mounted the front LE Dam and bumper, rear valance and bumper and the two rocker panels.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 26 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #170

Sonoma County Gear Head

In other news, my buddy Dug snagged a set of 15 x 7 ATS 4-lug wheels that were listed on the classifieds here for me this past week - Probably won't have them here in Santa Rosa for at least a few weeks, but I'm so stocked. Always loved the ATS wheels.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 26 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #171

Sonoma County Gear Head

Question -

My car was originally a '74 1.8 and I wonder if the relay board cover was different for L-Jet cars as I can't for the life of me get my relay board cover to fit.

Anyone care to chime in?
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 26 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #172

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,104

Looking good Randy! I am so glad you got those wheels!
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Dec 26 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #173

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 26 2017, 12:32 PM) *

Looking good Randy! I am so glad you got those wheels!

Thanks buddy!
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 5 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #174

Sonoma County Gear Head

So last weekend she officially roared to life, sans exhaust leaks. The HE I picked up from a fellow member years ago, for whatever reason, wouldn't quiet down. Pulled it again, put a straight edge across both surfaces and couldn't see any problems. I had one spare in my stash, but it's a SS and has a slightly larger ID. I either need to pick a new HE that matches one or the other.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 5 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #175

Sonoma County Gear Head

So last weekend she officially roared to life, sans exhaust leaks. The HE I picked up from a fellow member years ago, for whatever reason, wouldn't quiet down. Pulled it again, put a straight edge across both surfaces and couldn't see any problems. I had one spare in my stash, but it's a SS and has a slightly larger ID. I either need to pick a new HE that matches one or the other.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 5 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #176

Sonoma County Gear Head

Really wasn't happy with Mark's throttle cable support being on the passenger side of the case (sorry Mark!) as it meant that the linkage rods weren't parallel to one another. After some heavy tweaking in the vise I got it to fit on the other side of the case -

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gms
post Jan 5 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #177

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 5 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #178

Sonoma County Gear Head

Still fiddling with gauges. Fuel gauge isn't working, though the reserve light does operate. Hmmm.

Really digging the A/F ratio gauge. More on that later though.

Installing and oil pressure gauge this weekend.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 5 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #179

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(gms @ Jan 5 2018, 12:52 PM) *

Thanks Glenn! Think I beat my Sept '18 deadline. Just gotta be sure not to break it before then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 5 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #180

Sonoma County Gear Head

Awesome neighbor came by and TIG welded both of the cracking/separating engine lid hinges -

Attached Image
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:17 AM