Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Go Big or Go Home: Clay's 914-6, MS3Pro Wiring in Progress
Should I paint the flat fan shroud?
Paint or not
Paint it Red to match the car [ 15 ] ** [24.19%]
Paint it some other color. [ 3 ] ** [4.84%]
Leave it the current amber fiberglass color [ 44 ] ** [70.97%]
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
scottthephotog
post Sep 20 2019, 09:02 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,667
Region Association: Southwest Region

That sounds right. He was driving without a clutch for the first couple of hours of the return trip.

QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 20 2019, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Sep 20 2019, 07:18 PM) *

Was the clutch working when it failed or were you matching revs to gears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Did that make sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

They were separate events from my understanding. Clutch failed, he was going to make the trip back home driving without a clutch (matching revs), then the transmission failed at a later point.

Clay's on the plane right now to Charlotte NC, maybe he'll clarify if he checks World later...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 22 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #242

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I am home from picking up the SUV. I did a 2 day banzi run from Denver, NC to Hurst, TX. Left Saturday noon. Got home Sunday 1:30. Long drive, no problems.

I will continue to update this as I fix the issues, both major and minor, with my car.

Stay tuned.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 27 2019, 06:31 AM
Post #243

So last night I got out and pulled the pedal box out of my car to see what happened to the clutch.

Sheared a roll pin. But the attachment point for the clutch master cylinder rod was fatigued and would have broken anyway.

So I am reworking the pedal box to fix both these issues. I almost have it, but I need a few more hours to get it right. I will post pictures when I get it done.

As for the trans, it was suggested that the nut holding the cable connections onto the shift rod possibly backed off. That would cause the move but no gears. I checked the nut. It is tight. So Saturday I am going to pull the trans mount and remove the back of the transmission so I can see what happened.

Hopefully nothing major... fingers crossed......

Clay
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 28 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #244

I fixed the pedals...

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I turned around the shaft, straightened up the arm, and shortened it so it wouldn't hit the pedal arm. New pin made from solid steel, not a spiral pin. Heated both ends with the torch and flattened them so it won't come out.

The right end had the tube in the pedal base shortened and the bushing reinstalled. Then I put a washer and cotter key in to make sure it doesn't come out.

Now to see what's wrong in the transmission...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Opened it up and found nothing wrong. With the cables disconnected, it shifts fine through all the gears. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Hooked up the cables and shifted it to first at the trans. The shifter was in first. Pulled the shifter to second, and the trans won't engage second gear. At the trans, I am able to put it into second. So now I think there is a problem with the shfiter.

I am going to put the trans back together after lunch and pull the shifter to see what is wrong.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

But at least I know what it looks like inside now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 28 2019, 12:54 PM
Post #245

Member No.: 1,419

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 28 2019, 10:03 AM) *

But at least I know what it looks like inside now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, clean! Glad to hear it’s in the shifter and not the box.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 28 2019, 04:56 PM
Post #246

So I found the problem.....

Attached Image

This is the bracket that is supposed to hold the shift cable in the tunnel. It was made from part of the Toyota shifter, and I kinda under-engineered it for my use.

So tomorrow I make a new cable mount.

+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 28 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 1,419

I’m not sure exactly what that looked like when it was tabbed up. But it looks pretty beat up now.

I’m sure it’s a bit frustrating. But if you think about it, if this is your only issue after this build I’d say this is minor.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 28 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #248

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 28 2019, 08:22 PM) *

I’m not sure exactly what that looked like when it was tabbed up. But it looks pretty beat up now.

I’m sure it’s a bit frustrating. But if you think about it, if this is your only issue after this build I’d say this is minor.

The bent parts were a flat ring with a notch cut in it. The new one is going to me made a LOT stouter to accommodate my "aggressive" shifting style.

And that is not the only issue. I have a leaking timing box cover. I suspect it is warped. The timing boxes and covers are magnesium, and are really prone to warping and leaking. I am going to try to tighten it up.

+Quote Post
wvspin2
post Sep 28 2019, 08:10 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 21,737
Region Association: None

First of all, I am glad you had a safe trip to pick up your suv (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) .
Secondly, you really dodged a bullet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) finding a pin in the peddle box and adapter in the tunnel box. You certainly deserved a good break after all you went through coming home from NC. I was so glad you had all the joy of making the drive at Okteenerfest with your 4.0 mod machine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) It's a wonderful machine. Looks like you'll have it back running soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 28 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #250

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Sep 28 2019, 09:10 PM) *

Looks like you'll have it back running soon.

Tomorrow...... It will be running tomorrow.
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Sep 29 2019, 10:03 AM
Post #251

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 28 2019, 09:44 PM) *

And that is not the only issue. I have a leaking timing box cover. I suspect it is warped. The timing boxes and covers are magnesium, and are really prone to warping and leaking. I am going to try to tighten it up.

Ah, yes all 964's leak there. Mine did
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 29 2019, 06:14 PM
Post #252

So I got the cable mount for the shifter fixed. Got everything buttoned up and tried to back out of the garage. The clutch works great, but I got the shifter mis-adjusted.

I also don't have an oil pressure idiot light. I can see oil pressure on the gauge, but no light.

Oh well... As Scarlet O'Hara said "I'll think about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day."

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 2 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #253

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 28 2019, 02:03 PM) *

I fixed the pedals...

I turned around the shaft, straightened up the arm, and shortened it so it wouldn't hit the pedal arm. New pin made from solid steel, not a spiral pin. Heated both ends with the torch and flattened them so it won't come out.

The right end had the tube in the pedal base shortened and the bushing reinstalled. Then I put a washer and cotter key in to make sure it doesn't come out.

Now to see what's wrong in the transmission...

Opened it up and found nothing wrong. With the cables disconnected, it shifts fine through all the gears. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Hooked up the cables and shifted it to first at the trans. The shifter was in first. Pulled the shifter to second, and the trans won't engage second gear. At the trans, I am able to put it into second. So now I think there is a problem with the shfiter.

I am going to put the trans back together after lunch and pull the shifter to see what is wrong.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Those picks make me feel funny in a good way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 2 2019, 07:14 PM
Post #254

So this evening I fixed the oil light. Broken wire in the 14 pin plug to the relay board.

Fixed the shifter, and still didn't have reverse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Got online and searched the 987 forums on Pelican and Rennlist. Found lots of posts about no reverse gear that said to adjust the shift linkage. Considering that I am not running a Cayman shifter, I wasn't able to use the procedures they outlined. But I was able to disconnect the cable at the transmission, then put it in reverse by moving the input shaft. I know it was working because the backup lights came on. I adjusted the cable on the transmission end so it would hook up correctly.

TA-DA!!! Now I have reverse. I start the car up, and back it out of the garage. I put it in first and start to pull away down the driveway, and it dies.

I don't hear the fuel pump running. The cheap aftermarket replacement 964 pump died. I have power and ground to it. I tried tapping it with a hammer. Nothing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

What the H3LL do I have to do to catch a break???? The tank is completely full of premium unleaded. So now I have to drain the tank to replace the cheap pump with a real Bosch pump that I should have bought in the first place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Off to email Aaron@allzim.com to order a 964 factory pump.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 2 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #255

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 2 2019, 11:18 AM) *

Those picks make me feel funny in a good way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So... are you going to start rebuilding Cayman transmissions now??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Oct 2 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #256

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 2 2019, 05:14 PM) *

So this evening I fixed the oil light. Broken wire in the 14 pin plug to the relay board.

Fixed the shifter, and still didn't have reverse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Got online and searched the 987 forums on Pelican and Rennlist. Found lots of posts about no reverse gear that said to adjust the shift linkage. Considering that I am not running a Cayman shifter, I wasn't able to use the procedures they outlined. But I was able to disconnect the cable at the transmission, then put it in reverse by moving the input shaft. I know it was working because the backup lights came on. I adjusted the cable on the transmission end so it would hook up correctly.

TA-DA!!! Now I have reverse. I start the car up, and back it out of the garage. I put it in first and start to pull away down the driveway, and it dies.

I don't hear the fuel pump running. The cheap aftermarket replacement 964 pump died. I have power and ground to it. I tried tapping it with a hammer. Nothing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

What the H3LL do I have to do to catch a break???? The tank is completely full of premium unleaded. So now I have to drain the tank to replace the cheap pump with a real Bosch pump that I should have bought in the first place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Why don't you just put a clamp on the fuel line out of the tank, saves a lot of fuel draining except for the rest of the fuel system? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 3 2019, 05:56 AM
Post #257

QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 2 2019, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 2 2019, 05:14 PM) *

Why don't you just put a clamp on the fuel line out of the tank, saves a lot of fuel draining except for the rest of the fuel system? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

The fuel pump is under the tank. I have to take the tank out of the chassis to replace the pump. Gasoline weighs 6lbs /gallon, so that is almost 100LBS to pull out of that hole.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 3 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #258

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) And that is why I got a 75-76 cover to build a pump mount in the earlier chassis. You can also mount it to the steering rack, and just have to pull a dust shield. Done it both ways. I hate having to pull a tank to get to a fuel pump.

Cut a hole in the floor of an Astro Van once so I did not have to drop the tank for a third time. Crappy GM design
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 3 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #259

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 3 2019, 03:10 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) And that is why I got a 75-76 cover to build a pump mount in the earlier chassis. You can also mount it to the steering rack, and just have to pull a dust shield. Done it both ways. I hate having to pull a tank to get to a fuel pump.

Cut a hole in the floor of an Astro Van once so I did not have to drop the tank for a third time. Crappy GM design

I have a 75 fuel pump mount cover in my parts stash. It's missing the actual mount. I used it for the 964 fuel filter in the engine compartment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 10 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #260

Today I drove it to work. I lost the gauges when I hit a bump coming into the airport. Drove the last 1/2 mile in with all the gauges pegged at the bottom.

Lunch will be spent troubleshooting the gauge power issue. I suspect a blown fuse.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:56 PM