Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> where does this go??, pictures
Schnell944
post Jun 17 2003, 04:32 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

ok, do u kno where the clear hose for it goes then? there is a hold in the psngr rear of the manifold but the hose doesnt seem to really fit in there...nore can i see a place to plug it in (used a flash light to look in there)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 17 2003, 04:43 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There should be a hose for the drivers side, and a hose for a passengers side, both with the metal sleeve to slide into the hole in the engine tin.

Then both of these should meet at a T at the front left side of the fan shroud, the flame trap goes here I believe. I think one of the hoses for that T goes to the air cleaner.

I'm going from memory, my car does not have the breather setup (early 1.7) but I have played the "where does this hose go" game on a late 1.7 before.
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Jun 17 2003, 06:45 PM
Post #23

there was a hose missing in a plug that goes to a little canister that is behind the oil filler area. I took a picture and will post it when i get on my other comp tonight. i have no idea if this is where is should go, but its the only logical place i could see.
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Jun 17 2003, 08:05 PM
Post #24

hey there......here's the picture i was talking about...sorry for the low quality. hopefully u can tell where it went. there's sort of a Y shaped attachment to the metal thingw/ another hose going off.
(IMG:http://members.roadfly.com/schnell944/00_00034.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 20 2003, 12:33 PM
Post #25

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The MPS has one vacuum line. It hooks to the manifold. (Or "plenum". Or "intake air distributor". Or "the thing that the throttle body bolts up to.")

The Decel Valve acts as a way for air to bypass the throttle body--one large hose hooks up to the rubber pipe "in front of" the throttle body (between the air filter and TB), and the other large hose hooks to the manifold. The bypass is controlled by manifold pressure as well. The small hose hooks up to the manifold. Actually, it hooks up to a "stacked elbow" (a rubber F-shaped piece where the top of the F is much more skinny than the bottom of the F) that is plugged into the manifold. You can fake up something similar with brass (or even plastic) plumbing supplies.

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system that everyone else is talking about has a couple of pieces. There are little pipes sticking out of the cylinder head just aft (right side) or in front (left side) of the intake runner pipes. Hoses go on those and connect to the "flashback valve" (AKA "flame trap", AKA "funny-shaped T") on the left side of the motor by the fan shroud and thermostat flaps cross-shaft. The third connection on that T goes to the air cleaner. The other piece goes from the PCV valve (on the oil filler box) to the manifold directly.

On some early cars and some 75-76 cars (all?) there was no actual PCV valve in the oil filler box, just a hose fitting. In that case, the hose runs to the air cleaner and not to the manifold.

--DD
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 22 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #26

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Look at the middle of the motor where the cases mate, below and in front of the air cleaner and to the rear of the oil filler cap. There is an intake air temp sensor there. could be this one. Does the motor run without it? If so, its a breater hose.

Curt
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:32 PM