Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> motormeister six conversion
DrifterJay
post Jun 16 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #1

I break stuff...

Group: Members
Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/914_6/914_6engines.htm
http://www.motormeister.com/suz/914_6/914_..._6engines_2.htm
http://www.motormeister.com/suz/914_6/914_..._6engines_3.htm
http://www.motormeister.com/suz/914_6/914_..._6engines_4.htm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Jun 17 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #2

I break stuff...

oops well I accidentally posted early...well ok. As you know, I am a kid young/dumb and willing to spend a lot of money.. In about 7 months I will be finishing my tech school for the military (leave for basic in 2ish weeks). By that time, I will be able to save close to 15,000. Plus will have about 4 grand that I already have now. I am thinking the rebuilt 3.2 conversion. Brad and others, do you think 11grand is good for the price of parts and entire install (also is this a reputable place?). I am aware that I will end up spending another 3-4 grand in upgrading brakes/suspension/wheels and stiffening kit. What do you think? Also I want to autocross and eventually maybe 3/4 years road race. What categories will I have to race in with this size motor? Is it worth it? Do I have to ask..lol. How reliable are these big motor swaps? Thanx for attempting to answer my 600+ questions. I seem to have a tendency to write big posts sometimes...
Jared (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post Jun 17 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 438

Everytime a question about Motormeister arises on 'another' forum, the answer is always "do a search on the 911 board about opinions regarding MM." That inherently means, buyer beware. Personally, I've had no experience with the company whatsoever.. but I would like to chime in my opinion about something else:

The question that I'd like to ask is, are you sure of what you're getting yourself into? I'm certain that six conversions are very beautiful things, but I think you're getting in a little over your head by going straight for a 3.2-six as your very first 914. The type-iv that the car came with is a great 'starting' motor.. it's fairly non-complex (so it's a good place to learn about basic engine dynamics), parts are less expensive (comparatively speaking), and nearly all the repairs can be done by yourself (with enough research and patience.) The six is considerably more complicated, parts and labor are very expensive, and not all the work can be done by yourself. It just doesn't seem like a great starting point.. UNLESS you're just in this to spend money on a car that you drive and you let someone else (= big bucks) take care of everything else.

I'm also going to add: many people say that this car is all about the handling. There's a lot of merit when they say that you should learn to drive the car first in its 'weaker' form, then upgrade it as your skill requires. Besides, my gut tells me that someone brand new to 914's with a 3.2-6 is not going to hold up well in an AX class full of wild sixes and veterans... but I could be terribly mistaken.

Finally: are you sure you want to put all your eggs (which means dollars in this case) into the proverbial 'one basket' (this car.) These are fun cars.. I love mine to death!.. but are you sure you want to take all of your savings, which sounds like pretty much all the money that you have right now, and drop it into this car? A $19,000 914 will be an awesome 914.. but a $9000 914, or even a $5000 914 can be pretty awesome too. And if you spend $9k on a really good 914, what can you use the other $10k towards? How about savings for the projects and upgrades that you'll inevitably want to do on the car, or for that unexpected repair which is undoubtedly bound to happen to every 30+ year old car out there?

Now I'm just rambling.. bottomline: I think it all depends on what you're in it for..
+Quote Post
Don Wohlfarth
post Jun 17 2003, 07:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 117

Drifter Jay, don't do anything to your car that the car doesn't need. I think you'll find that even a 1.7 914 can be a lot of fun. Learn to drive the car as it sits. Run every ax you can, don't even put R type tires on it. After a half dozen ax's I think you'll find that you have more car than driver. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) And that's a big step.
You want to join the Army in the next couple months. Might not be able to take your car with you. That will also give you a chance to save a little money.
But it will also give you a chance to find out that little things like life get in the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Save your money and wait until you get out of the Army. Then, if you want a hot rod 914 go for it.
+Quote Post
si2t3m
post Jun 17 2003, 08:37 AM
Post #5

914 addict

Member No.: 119

IMHO, you might learn more ' on being a better driver' with a 914 in the /4 config than with a /6 with mucho power.

As my instructor told me at my last DE, 914/4's are momentum cars. You will learn how to carry all that speed in the corners as you will need every mph at the exit to keep up with the 'big boys'. The learning curve is faster in an 'low hp' car.

A guy from my part of the woods does vintage racing with a bone stock 2.0L. Another 914 driver took his car on the same track and did 4 seconds better with it. He told me that this was good news, and that he wouldn't change anything to the car before he could drive it to that 4 seconds faster.

A 3.2 powered 914 should be a big grin factor (heck my 3.0L webered 914 is one) and the available power on demand is fun to have, but i'm betting that I would already learned to carryway much more speed in the turns than i'm doing now if i was running the original 1.7 that was in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Marc-André
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 17 2003, 08:53 AM
Post #6

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

I agree with what the others said... learn to drive your car, then pour money into it. It's the most difficult thing you can do - resisting the swan song to upgrade.

Spend that time and energy getting your car CLEAN, and learning every inch of it. How clean? Concours clean. You'll be better for it, and the car will, too. Every time I disassemble something, I learn an incredible amount.

To answer your question: I've bought a few things from MM. Never had a problem with them.
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Jun 17 2003, 09:29 AM
Post #7

I break stuff...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_wirdgut.gif) Arg. lol.
Jared.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 21 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I agree with all the above.
I have also heard stories about MM but I have never bought anything from them.
Back in 86 I started with a 4 banger 2.0 and never learned how to drive it.
Within 6 months I put in a 2.7 SIX with 185-70-15 tires.
My six pretty much power slided through the autoX and the 4 banger 914's kicked my but.
I would also recommend learning how to drive the car stock before thinking about a six.
I am now running a 3.2 six and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
It was also a total money pit.
About 20k with all costs added up.
We're talking swap meets and wrecking yard parts.
It does kick but on most BMW's and Porsches for a lot less money.
My 3.2 is a daily driver.
I also recommend the following:
1. The Rich Johnson weld in motor mount so you can run stock 914-6 heat exchangers.
2. The weldin reinforcements in the rear to handle all the extra torque of the motor.
3. 911 brakes
4. For a 3.2 a KEP conversion for the 901 trans and baby first gear.
5. Flair the rear fenders.
The 3.2 gets very Squirely in a 914 unless you tame the beast with the following:
Front
21 mm torsion bars/
22 mm adjustable sway bar
205-50-16 on 7" rims
Rear
140Ibs springs
stock rear sway bar
245-45-16" Tires on 9" rims.
I cut off my rear fenders and riveted on fiberglass gt flairs.

You could also run bigger front torsion bars with smaller rear tires.
Very bumpy on the street!!!
I would also recommend a front oil cooler and thermostat.
You will also need tank lines etc....
The 3.2 motor with the DME is a joke to wire into the 914.
I have the dme brain behind the drivers seat.
The DME is a lot less hasle than carbs or CIS.

As you can see from the above do your home work its very expensive.
I wouldn't buy a kit I would either buy a car already done or piece it together.
Even if you put in a 2.7 you still need to do the above.
With the 2.7 you can get away with the 911 2.0 flywheel and a stock 2.0 clutch and it will work fine.
But you will still need at least 225 series tires in the rear or big torsion bars in the front to help eliminate throttle induced over steer.

Best of luck

Steve
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 21 2003, 03:25 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I agree with everybody above... learn to drive.

Now.. about the money.

When your ready..buy one that is already converted with a 3.2. You can pick them up in the 12-15 k range usually. Save yourself the pain of spending 15k just on the conversion itself and buy a complete nice driver that somebody is losing their ass on (when it comes time for resale)

B
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Jun 21 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #10

I break stuff...

thanx guys, and hey Brad, maybe a year from now, I will be asking for help on finding a complete car...who knows? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Jared
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 01:23 PM