Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New engine tragedy, Broken valve stem
Jetsetsurfshop
post Apr 2 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

On my first outing with the new engine tragedy struck. While giving it a little bit of RPM the engine made a noise I never heard before and then dropped a cylinder. Limped it home and this is what I found today.
That's the top of the valve you see still with the keeper! Damn.
Anyone have any thoughts on what happened here?
Everything we did was the same as the last build except we installed a more aggressive camshaft.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
HAM Inc
post Apr 3 2016, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

The valve breaking in that position is a classic symptom of valve float and launch and/or coil bind. With a big heavy valve and aggressive cam all of those situations can occur at the same time.

The spring may not have been in coil bind at lower revs, but a heavy valve and aggressive cam can easily put a valve in a launch condition.

What were you turning it when it let go?

I noticed in the pic that the keepers appear to butt, meaning they are floating in the keeper grooves. That will contribute in a big way to this type of failure in a valve float, launch situation.

If those are the springs I think they are they are very unsuited for 48mm valves and an aggressive cam when fresh, much less when they have some hard track miles on them. Around 15 hours of hard track time is max for them. They typically lose around 8-10% of open pressure by then.

A failure of a rocker and valve at the keeper grooves is almost certain to be preceded by float, coil bind or geometry problems. Generally all of the above happen when a major misapplication of components occurs.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:27 PM