Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Getting the gas lines right
ntmatter
post Apr 15 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,049
Region Association: None

After 6 months of rust and body work, the motor's back in and now runs like crap. Sounds like it's missing on at least one cylinder, possibly two, and blowing all kinds of smoke out. This is for a '76 2.0. As part of the troubleshooting, I have a question about how I routed my gas lines:

1. Part of the project was to replace the fuel lines with SS.
2. I'm pretty sure I routed them correctly, but I have this horrible worry that I didn't and I don't want to pull the gas tank again to troubleshoot. So, I'm trying to figure confirm that they're done correctly.
3. From the tank, I routed the lines like this:
a. tank screen sock fitting --> fuel filter --> fuel pump --> SS line --> passenger intake side
b. other tank fitting --> SS line --> driver side fuel return line
4. Before connecting up the hoses to the intake/outflow connections, I switched the key to "on" and did notice a bit of gas squirt out of what would have been the "return" side, which seemed weird. Because everything was out, the only way I could figure out that happened is if that was fuel trapped in the fuel pump (tank was completely emptied and treated). This seemed to indicate that maybe the lines were switched
5. I went under the car and disconnected the fuel hose from the tunnel SS lines. A bit of gas came out one of the lines, and a constant flow came out of the other. (the gas also seemed quite dirty, which is odd since the tank was treated and everything except the fuel pump is totally new in the car).

So after all that, two questions:
1. Can someone confirm it's correct to route the sock-fitting to the fuel filter and fuel pump?
2. Can I deduce which SS line is which by the gas that comes out of them when disconnected?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:18 AM