Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What A Day!- New teener(Long), Sorry for the dual forum post!
Eric Taylor
post Jun 17 2003, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

Well what a day monday was! So last saturday I was out in the valley looking at replacement teeners. I was up in portland found this ravenna green one, and it eyeballed ok, but there was rust everywhere. The full meal deal, longs, rear trunk, battery tray, and a crappy respray. The guy wanted $2700 so I walked away from that without pictures or anything. Why even bother. So on the way home through salem I found a 72 in the paper. Went and checked it out. It was nice. Barley any rust, a little at the door, but totally surface rust, new battery tray clean trunk, It was great. When I drove it it ran really stong, and shifted well, but was sloppy, which I attributed to it being a tail shifter, because I've only driven a side shifter. The deal was it was at a shop on consingment for this wierd old man. The guy I dealt with was named Dan he owned the shop, and a viper which I got to sit in. Very cool. A great guy who was just into cars. A friend of mine who does a lot of car deals was there to help me out , he's really into american stuff, but has a soft spot for German cars. Any way we bs'd for an hour, and had a really great experience. I took a bunch of Dig pic's and went home. When I showed my dad the car he nearly wet himself. So obviously we were going to buy it. Becuse the car I wrecked was his. As far as I knew the guy wanted $1875 for the car. Sounded good to me.

The next day I talked to the owner of the car and got the story. He had bought the car about 6 years ago and let it sit, so when he took it out of storage it didn't run and the brakes didn't work, so he took it to dan. He got it running again. Well anyway we got down to making the deal, and he bumped me up to $2200. Which I thought was a crappy thing to do, but my dad thought the price was still fair. The seller's reasoning was the he had an $1800 bill at dan's and had just put on new tires, whooptie freaking doo, I hate your wheels anyway. I felt a little ripped, but the price was still fair, so the deal was on. So early Monday morning I go up with the same friend to dan's shop and we start to make the deal with the owner. He is an older guy who was clearly unsure about selling his car. I could tell because his wife was yelling at him on the phone not to sell it so "cheap" cheap, my ass. Oh well. SO I start filling out paper work and my friend is asking the owner about reciepts and normal stuff and the guy get's very wierd, he say's he's not getting a good feeling about this and " you know what I'm not gona sell the car". At this point we have been there maybe 10 minutes and I'm thinking, something is up. So he grabs the key's and try's to take the car home, but can't shift a 914 nor drive a clutch in general. So after grinding every gear, and stalling a lot, he finally get's out of there. In 1 minute he's back, and re-offers the car to me, I say it's to wierd no thank you. He drive's off. So my friend and I are going to eat and I give my dad a call. I tell him the story, he goes- " WHAT GO GET THE CAR!!" It was obvious that he wanted this one and he wanted it bad! So I eat a little crow and go back and get the car. Pay $2200. Luckly dan who had done the work told me that it was really clean engine, and that it looked like maybe a rebulid. So that was good. But no one thought the bump was fair. Oh well I'm an owner.

So i'm on my way home right outside of salem and the car start's to buck and loose power. Lucky my friend was follwing right behiend me so we pull over, check the oil, no go. Looks like a dirty injector. Spitting black stuff out every once in a while. So we go onto Dallas and get a bottle of injector cleaner. Poor it in the tank. At this point the car dies every time you stop or let off the gas. Oh well If I can just get the dam thing home. So finally I get going again, but second is a bitch, so i'm just starting out in 2nd. Finally I get going again, I've decided to keep the rev's up to burn the carp out of the injector's . It's getting it's power back thing's are looking up. So I go to shift 4th to third, and when I go to let the clutch out it drops to the floor. I go "shit" the clutch cable snapped. Luckly it happened by a rest stop. The rest of the story involves a tow truck alll the way home. Thank you AAA! Overall it was one of the most intresting experiences that I have ever had. The car is gona be a good project and with all the 73 parts I have, plus the 2.0 i'm gona rebuild and mod, it's gona be great. Although I would have normally walked, my dad relaly wanted it, so I got it. Emotion really can make a deal wierd. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share the fun with you all
Eric Taylor

P.S.
Here it is in my driveway. I'm not sure where the color when is from, but it's a respray, it was originally white. You can only see it in the floor boards.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Jun 17 2003, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Eric, that was an entertaining story. Good luck with your project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 17 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks like Guards Red to me. Nice story and good looking car for a good price.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Jun 17 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 770

Geoff- I was thinking it was guards, it looks really great in the sun! By the way thanks for the help with the PPI on the other car. The guy just never wanted to go less then $1500. So I went and got this one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Eric
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:04 AM