Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CB Antenna - anyone mounted one on a 914?
tomeric914
post Apr 15 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #1

One Lap of America in a 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

Seeing that we'll be putting 2800+ miles on the 914 a couple of weeks (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=278089) from now at, ahem, highway speeds and may need another form of entertainment besides the 500 watt Bluetooth amp. Has anyone mounted a CB antenna on a 914? If so, what worked for you?

I'm thinking I can fabricate a mount to bolt up to the threaded inserts under the factory "roll bar" meant for the accessory ski rack and easily run the wire inside from there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 15 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 15 2016, 02:03 PM) *

Seeing that we'll be putting 2800+ miles on the 914 a couple of weeks (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=278089) from now at, ahem, highway speeds and may need another form of entertainment besides the 500 watt Bluetooth amp. Has anyone mounted a CB antenna on a 914? If so, what worked for you?

I'm thinking I can fabricate a mount to bolt up to the threaded inserts under the factory "roll bar" meant for the accessory ski rack and easily run the wire inside from there.

Why not use one with a magnetic base?

Midlands

Great reviews:
Lil Wilson
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Apr 15 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 15 2016, 01:08 PM) *

The roof is fiberglass?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 15 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 15 2016, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 15 2016, 01:08 PM) *

The roof is fiberglass?

You can mount it on the engine lid, rear trunk, front fender, etc.

I assume you want something you can easily remove later.

If you want a permanent mount then that's a different issue.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Apr 15 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #5

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 15 2016, 11:03 AM) *

10-4 good buddy
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 15 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

CB? Do people still use those? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 15 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss

Can we play this song on the way to Flagstaff?
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Apr 15 2016, 03:41 PM
Post #8

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 15 2016, 02:03 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That's exactly how I had mine set up for ~15 years. Used a generic aluminum mount that I drilled for the holes on the underside of the roll bar (neoprene washers kept it from rubbing against the paint). The wire for the tunable antenna came in behind the driver's seat from between the top and the roll bar. The mount for the radio fit inside the metal bracket for the "cubby" on the center tunnel; power cord plugged into the radio, was tucked up in lower dash when not in use. The only cutting/drill was to non-914 parts.

FWIW, I had a magnetic mount antenna on the trunk lid of on of our old Volvos--the magnetic base marred the paint . . . .

Hope this helps!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 15 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #9

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bumper mount via the tow hook hole? Then get one of them 12' antennas.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Apr 15 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

About 2 years ago I hooked a CB up in my SUV for a long trip. Basically discovered that these days they are pretty much useless. The only people who seem to use them any more are those with illegally hacked radios. Thus, instead of getting the local "smokey report" you are listening to static or some clown three states away. I do use it occasionally when "convoying" with other drivers on scouting trips.

I actually have an NOS Blaupunkt Koblenz CB radio sitting on the shelf. I was going to put it in the 914 as it looks period correct. Decided against doing so for two reasons. 1. Did not want to mount the antenna. 2. The Koblenz does not have channel 19 as it was never marketed in the USA. You could take it apart and change one of the crystals but they are soldered on so it did not seem worth the effort.
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 15 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 15 2016, 02:07 PM) *

CB? Do people still use those? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm with Elliot. Do they even use them anymore?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #12

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 15 2016, 11:03 AM) *

I had one in my 914 12/75 - 5/85 & just used an adapter from RS that hooked up in-line with the regular radio antenna, with 2 outs - 1 to the radio & other to the CB.

That would be your cleanest & least invasive & least fugly install - if they still make them.

The other option is one of the thru the glass magnet CB antennas which are still available, which is what I got for the Westy Van, where that CB radio has "lived" since 88. You could mount it at the windshield. but the radio adapter would be better.

But don't hack up your 914 with mounting an antenna.

I agree that the CBs are far less used nowadays, but some of the truckers are still old school, so it will depend on where your road trip takes you.

Safe Travels! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Apr 19 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #13

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had the CB in an FJ Cruiser that we did a lot of offroading with a club. Was very handy in those situations to understand where everyone was in the group or if someone was in stuck and needed assistance. While driving to and from events it was mildly entertaining to listen to CB traffic. Once in a while you learned of the location of a radar trap, but those were few and somewhat unreliable.

The CB is purely for entertainment purposes and potential conversation between vehicles if we happen to team up with anyone. My One Lap goal is to finish with no speeding tickets and a fully functioning vehicle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:37 AM