Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uhh-Ohh…., My Ongoing 914 Build Adventures....
Larmo63
post Sep 25 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #601

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

MFI prices are downright scary. People are usually selling parts and pieces of various year systems separately. It seems like a monkey puzzle to go back and try to put a whole system together unless you luck into it. Plus, the whole pulley and belt on the back of the cam business....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 26 2017, 09:53 AM
Post #602

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 25 2017, 03:46 PM) *

MFI prices are downright scary. People are usually selling parts and pieces of various year systems separately. It seems like a monkey puzzle to go back and try to put a whole system together unless you luck into it. Plus, the whole pulley and belt on the back of the cam business....

Looked like MFI was gonna cost me what I had in the whole conversion, or at least a good chunk of the way there. And, as you note, there's the hassle of piecing a system together. Unless I luck into one somehow, I think I'll be running Webers for some time to come—or convert to Motec, Link, Rasant, etc.

Curious: Is your now-carbureted 914 super smelly compared to its old fuel-injected four-cylinder self? Mine is. My better half doesn't like it when the car stays in the home garage overnight, and I have to admit it is indeed smelly when I go out into the garage. Reminds me of my childhood garage, with two carbureted, air-cooled VWs in the garage. The world has come a long way since then in terms of auto emissions...
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 26 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #603

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pete that is what my experience is with it. I kept my mfi heads so I can go fuel injection at some Point as there are folks who make injector adapters for the mfi ports.. I have thought about just using my carbs as throttle body's then..
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 26 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #604

Advanced Member

My car does smell a bit, a cross between oil & gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I'm not so sure what it holds more of; gasoline, or oil.....!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 26 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #605

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 26 2017, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 25 2017, 03:46 PM) *

Looked like MFI was gonna cost me what I had in the whole conversion, or at least a good chunk of the way there. And, as you note, there's the hassle of piecing a system together. Unless I luck into one somehow, I think I'll be running Webers for some time to come—or convert to Motec, Link, Rasant, etc.

Curious: Is your now-carbureted 914 super smelly compared to its old fuel-injected four-cylinder self? Mine is. My better half doesn't like it when the car stays in the home garage overnight, and I have to admit it is indeed smelly when I go out into the garage. Reminds me of my childhood garage, with two carbureted, air-cooled VWs in the garage. The world has come a long way since then in terms of auto emissions...

Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to look at a 2.7 with MFI throttle bodies and air cleaner, but with modern FI and coil on plug ignition. I'll take lots of pics
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 26 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #606

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 27 2017, 09:48 AM) *

My car smells of gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I noticed a reduction in smell when I went back to the stock aircleaner from the K&N's,seems the fumes don't get out as much.maybe they just hang over the top of the carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
Lawrence you can tell us the results when you get your aircleaner ?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 26 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #607

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 26 2017, 01:48 PM) *

My car does smell a bit, a cross between oil & gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I'm not so sure what it holds more of; gasoline, or oil.....!

Yep. PRECISELY what I've experienced. So I guess it's part of old carbureted cars, which really were dirty in more ways than one, and one more reason I like fuel injection. Then again, carbs sure sound gud. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 26 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #608

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 26 2017, 01:51 PM) *

Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to look at a 2.7 with MFI throttle bodies and air cleaner, but with modern FI and coil on plug ignition. I'll take lots of pics

Please do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Curious about a potential induction change down the road. I like the 2.2 a LOT, and it makes great power with—to my complete surprise—really nice torque low down. So the engine is pretty efficient. But the carbs are smelly, and my sense is they are to blame for pretty awful fuel economy. A teener shouldn't be in the teens when it comes to MPG.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 26 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #609

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

With today's fuels, I think carb's lives are coming to an end. Even the venerable Quadrajets are being replaced with simple bolt-on, self tuning, electronic fuel injection systems.

However, fewer things sound as good as Weber sucking down air right behind your head in a 914-6!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 26 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #610

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 26 2017, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 27 2017, 09:48 AM) *

My car smells of gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I noticed a reduction in smell when I went back to the stock aircleaner from the K&N's,seems the fumes don't get out as much.maybe they just hang over the top of the carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
Lawrence you can tell us the results when you get your aircleaner ?

Makes sense with the K&N as I believe the carb float bowl is vented to atmosphere.
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Sep 26 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #611

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

I really never noticed the gas smell from my 3.2 short stroke 911sc track car except when it running because it was rich on the bottom to smoothly get thru the transition to the mains.

I bought a couple of 2.4 MFI systems when all of my friends were ripping off the MFI to replace it with Webers back in the 1980s. How far we have come. I used the the 2.4E system on our 73 911T when I upgraded the original engine to E spec. I always loved the way that engine ran. Great power but very driveable. I still have a complete 2.4S system that I was planning to use but I would rather trade it for a complete running 3.0 SC engine or a complete 3.2 engine.

Charlie
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 29 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #612

Advanced Member

I ordered these new from Partsklassik and in the meantime the stock airbox popped up in the classifieds here. I can now give Ethan's K & Ns back to him (and get him to put a little tune on my carbs?) soon.

I know that the different air cleaners/airboxes have differing effects on the torque curve on these engines. I can't wait to try the big stock box on my engine.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 29 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #613

Advanced Member

I'm driving the car regularly, and I can now say it was all worth it. The pissing, moaning, head scratching, and complaining.

It's already a pretty good little driver, all in all.

I may do a little body work next, but I'm enjoying it immensely, it's a bit surreal that it really works.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 29 2017, 10:25 AM
Post #614

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2017, 09:12 AM) *

I'm driving the car regularly, and I can now say it was all worth it. The pissing, moaning, head scratching, and complaining.

It's already a pretty good little driver, all in all.

I may do a little body work next, but I'm enjoying it immensely, it's a bit surreal that it really works.

Attached Image

It's got to be a real sense of accomplishment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) I was fortunate to see the car in person it came out great! Jealous of the seats!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 29 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #615

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Good to hear ur enjoying the conversion after that long patience! Last Temecula Fun day I thought ur just moving the car but I noticed you, Keith and Forrest living the place. Didn’t get the chance to drive ur car!!! hehehe
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Sep 29 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #616

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2017, 08:08 AM) *

I ordered these new from Partsklassik and in the meantime the stock airbox popped up in the classifieds here. I can now give Ethan's K & Ns back to him (and get him to put a little tune on my carbs?) soon.

I know that the different air cleaners/airboxes have differing effects on the torque curve on these engines. I can't wait to try the big stock box on my engine.

Attached Image

I found that the rain hats were only about 3/4 inches above the velocity stacks with the "stock" standoffs....suspect they were shrouding the airflow & so went to ITG's. Can you get dyno runs with these and then the big stock airbox? Would sure be nice to see....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 29 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #617

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

ITG's are good, as long as your car will never sit parked in the rain. 914-6 have been known to hydro-lock.

The stock air filter housing flows amazingly well. Of course it was designed by Porsche after all.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Sep 29 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #618

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Glad it all worked out. Hopefully we can meet up and cruise PCH together.
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Sep 29 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #619

Member No.: 12,969

Congrats dude as you have to be beyond happy about now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Can't wait to hear it in person (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 5 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #620

Advanced Member

I'm doing euro front lenses with a switch to turn these on independently. The warts will be getting removed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 08:28 PM