Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> WOT: TAG Kart Starter
yeahmag
post Apr 26 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

These damn karts will be the death of me...

I have a Motori Seven TAG motor(s) with electric start and I think I face 2 gremlins:

1. Starter cranks over too slow (if at all)
2. Stator and Coil/CDI combo fires off at too high an rpm (1200 RPM)

On a good day I can get the starter to spin the motor at 400-700 rpm. I've tried several starters, rebuilt one of the three starters (new brushes anyway), and direct connected the starter to HUGE, AGM batteries. No change. Presumably this isn't a current issue then...

What DID make a change was upping the voltage. I started with 24V (2 - 12V in series) and then went to the track with my Dewalt Li-ion battery from my impact gun strapped to the kart (20V). The starter JUMPS to life with that thing and all is well in the world.

But...

What on earth is wrong with the 12V starters? I have two motors and 3 starters. Any combo of starter, batter, engine, and any connection method all do the same thing. Can I have some sort of failure in all there starters that wouldn't show up in ohm tests and visual inspections that would require them to need more voltage?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:16 PM