Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 1973 2.0 Flared Restoration, A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step...and Lots of Bondo Removal
VWTortuga336
post Apr 29 2016, 08:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,979
Region Association: None

So here's my 2nd 914 in 2 years. And I've still never driven one! Here's to hoping I have the intestinal fortitude to take this one across the finish line within a few years. My 1st 914 was a 1974 that hadn't moved in ~15 years. After doing some of the fun stuff (engine removal, started the rebuild process, new brakes, etc.), I realized it was too far gone for me at that time. I had a small garage, no welder and no time to work on it. Now, I have a much bigger work space, more tools and I just competed my MBA, so lots more free time (more is a relative term here). Now I have a 1973 2.0L with steel flares.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I haven't had time yet to take a real deep dive into it yet (still unpacking stuff in our new house) but here's what I can tell so far:

The good:
1. 2.0L engine with new "Webers" (I was told they were legit, but they aren't)
2. Steel flares. They actually look like they were installed pretty decently
3. Interior looks to be in decent shape
4. Center gauge console with 2 CHT gauges, oil pressure and oil temp
5. Momo steering wheel
6. Wide 4 lug wheels - not sure what kind
7. Floors and trunks look to be solid
8. Hell hole isn't totally shot - still some repair work needed
9. Battery already relocated to front trunk

The bad:
1. Longs are totally shot - going to install Brad Mayeur kit
2. Paint/body work is HORRIBLE
3. Engine only has compression on 3 cylinders and smoked BADLY
4. Steel rocker covers are welded to the car
5. Lots and lots and lots of bondo on the joints between the car and the rocker covers
6. Passenger side door is rusty

Here's my plan of attack, at least until I find lots more issues that may make me change course:

1. Fix all the rust
2. Finish building my 2366 engine
3. Do body work and paint prep
4. Paint Ravenna green
5. Do 5 lug conversion w/ 5 spoke Fuchs

I'll have tons of questions for this great group as I go through this project, so thank you everyone in advance for your advice and encouragement.

So here's are the first, but far from the last, questions I have: has anyone had any experience removing rockers like this? Aside from measure twice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) once, any other pieces of advice as I start this rust repair? Will it be better for me to leave the doors installed to set the gap, or weld in braces?

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
struckn
post Apr 29 2016, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Over all impression is it looks to be a very nice 914 with some well done features. Remember that few if any 914's are without rust. You'll get a lot of responces to the rust issues but it might be faster to just begin by searching the many strings of posts that will lead you through the process's used in the past, including pictures.

I suggest also that you first begin finding out what the engine problem is, in hopes that there are not major problems, it might be a quick fix, such as just adjusting the valves. Once it's running and if there are no major problems......DRIVE THAT BABY and enjoy the ride for a while as you continue to sort things out. As you probibly already know, once they go up on the Jack Stands they tend to resist coming down.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 29 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Apr 29 2016, 09:40 AM) *

4. Paint Ravenna green

Hooray for Ravenna Green!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 29 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Please do a complete chassis inspection for rust that is not readily apparent. Before you invest a ton of time doing other things, make sure the "foundation" is good.

I would consider putting it on all 4 wheels and opening both doors with the top off and having someone stand on the door threshold while you look for deflection and sagging. That will be your real indicator of how bad the rust is.

I don't necessarily think welding a stiffening kit on is the correct fix if the underlying structure is bad. That is just covering up the problem with a band aide. I am not saying you would do that, just saying I have seen some cars "fixed" that way and in the long run it may not be the best result.

I agree that from 15' it appears to be a reasonable starting point. But bondo can cover up a ton of crap. It really depends upon what your goal is for the car.

Congrats on your MBA and the car. Now have some fun and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 29 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Good plan. Chip all that bondo off and see where you're at. What's it look like underneath? Is the original color Ravenna Green? Either way great choice.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Apr 29 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(struckn @ Apr 29 2016, 10:14 AM) *

I suggest also that you first begin finding out what the engine problem is, in hopes that there are not major problems, it might be a quick fix, such as just adjusting the valves. Once it's running and if there are no major problems......DRIVE THAT BABY and enjoy the ride for a while as you continue to sort things out. As you probibly already know, once they go up on the Jack Stands they tend to resist coming down.

Unfortunately, the longs are bad enough that I don't trust them enough to drive it before they are fixed. On the up side, I have almost all the parts for my 2366 build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 29 2016, 10:52 AM) *

Please do a complete chassis inspection for rust that is not readily apparent. Before you invest a ton of time doing other things, make sure the "foundation" is good.

I don't necessarily think welding a stiffening kit on is the correct fix if the underlying structure is bad. That is just covering up the problem with a band aide. I am not saying you would do that, just saying I have seen some cars "fixed" that way and in the long run it may not be the best result.

Definitely going to fix all the rust issues before trying to do anything else. That was my mistake on my last 914. I had to learn my lesson the hard way. I was under the impression that Brad's kit was designed for repairing the longs. I was going to cut out all the rot, treat the metal with anti-rust product and install the kit. Is that the wrong way to go?

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 29 2016, 11:09 AM) *

Is the original color Ravenna Green? Either way great choice.

I don't think it was the original color. But definitely my favorite! When it's all said and done, it'll be a '73 flared Ravenna green car with a 2.4L engine, Supertrapp muffler, headers and matte re-pop Fuchs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jor
post Apr 29 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #7

Just happy to be here.

Member No.: 17,693
Region Association: Southern California

I can't wait to see this one; I'm up to a similar thing right now.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 29 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Godspeed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 29 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Michael

I am sure Brad's kit will work so long as you have something to weld to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) He is well respected in our community and has been making and installing that kit for years, likely decades.

I am biased in that I like to see the longs repaired to their original configuration first so if you remove the rockers it is all stock in appearance. I just believe do it once, do it right and then you never have to address it again. That is what Scotty (ScottyB) did on my car and then we added the interior chassis stiffening kit which essentially becomes invisible once the interior is installed.

However, I realize that is going to add up quickly and may likely kill your budget. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

If your car is going to be a driver street car, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I see no problems. I agree with the earlier comment about removing the bondo to see what lies beneath though. Even though it is going to be a mess, better to remove it and repair any rust or possible poor workmanship, so that once you fix and paint it you know it is not going to bubble up with rust 1 year later.

These cars really are a slippery slope... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I started off with my Six planning to just do brakes, fix oil leaks, SS fuel lines, tires, sort electrical and then drive it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) . However once I started to do the math, it just made no sense to do all that knowing it had some rust that needed to be addressed. In the end I jumped into the extremely deep end of the pool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) . Here we are coming up on 4 years in May that my car has been with Scotty and it is finally getting close to color and then assembly. I hope. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Believe me, if these cars were not in my blood since I was 18, and I had not already owned 3 other 914's, two of which were original '70 Sixes, I would likely have never embarked on my project. But I truly love these little go carts and always wanted a '71 Six. I wanted to do a complete car to my wants and wishes. Even though the prices of these cars are heading to the stratosphere I have no plans to sell my car. Once I am a dribbling old fool (maybe 10 years if I am lucky, my wife's opinion my differ on that.....) then my wife, brother or son can do what they want with it so long as I am unable to comprehend it.

Given the length of this post, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) maybe 10 years was overly optimistic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 29 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #10

Michael

Jor - I love your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 29 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #11

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Man, you got it bad. defeated the first time out, now you went and got a bigger workspace, more tools, and grabbed another project.

Good luck.
I would suggest you strip the car and send it out to get it sand blasted....it will save you a lot of time.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Apr 29 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 29 2016, 07:35 PM) *

Man, you got it bad. defeated the first time out, now you went and got a bigger workspace, more tools, and grabbed another project.

Good luck.
I would suggest you strip the car and send it out to get it sand blasted....it will save you a lot of time.

Yep, I do have it bad. My wife reminds me often (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I even went out and bought a Boxster since I had a mid-engine Porsche itch that needed scratched. I had the red car picked out before I even sold my blue one. And before moved into our new house, she loved that.

I'll call tomorrow to get a quote for blasting it. Any idea how much $$$?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 29 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

1k-1500

It's worth it...

Could be cheaper in your area.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post May 21 2016, 08:49 AM
Post #14

Well, I haven't gotten anywhere since I last posted, and I traded my Boxster for this. Progress on the 914 will only be slower now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post May 27 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #15

I was finally able to find some time to work on the 914 and got the interior stripped. I was amazed I didn't find anything that needs to be addressed. Looks like the PO actually did a pretty good job welding in new metal in the typical rusty spots. Looks like the only thing they didn't do was take the time to re-mount the seat belts.

I know this is still quite a ways out, but I'm wondering if the 40 IDF carbs that came with the car will be enough for the 2366 I'm planning on building, or will I need bigger carbs?
+Quote Post
post May 27 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats with your new project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
Looks like you have a great list of to do before you just in any further.
Lastly, congrats with completion of your MBA.
I'm sure you know that it will pay you dividends.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 27 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #17

Custom Member

Get the 80's out of that classic mustang.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post May 27 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Get the 80's out of that classic mustang.

Working on it...
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 27 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ May 28 2016, 02:19 AM) *

I was finally able to find some time to work on the 914 and got the interior stripped. I was amazed I didn't find anything that needs to be addressed. Looks like the PO actually did a pretty good job welding in new metal in the typical rusty spots. Looks like the only thing they didn't do was take the time to re-mount the seat belts.

I know this is still quite a ways out, but I'm wondering if the 40 IDF carbs that came with the car will be enough for the 2366 I'm planning on building, or will I need bigger carbs?

Good finding the positive on interior rust,appears someone has gone to some effort on the car but some not in the right direction (ie bondo).
Those 40's you have will be fine with that engine combo no need to go bigger,its the correct tuning of these that really matters not the throat size as much.
Hope you don't find too many nasties under all the filler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 27 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:36 PM