Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pedal area repair help
gisound
post May 2 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,584

Can someone point me to a thread that shows repairing the pedal box area? Finally pulled my 914 out of storage where its been for the last 10+ years to start the repairs that made me put it away all those years ago! I'm 47 now and have owned this car since I was bitten by the bug at 13! Time to get her back on the road! Still got all the other typical southern rust to take care of. Passenger long, lower firewall, rear trunk area, drivers jack post area, etc., etc, etc, This site and its members are truly inspirational and in invaluable wealth of experience and knowledge!

Thanks,

Blair
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 2 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You may want to post pictures of what you're trying to repair. The floor plan under the pedal cluster? The bulkhead where the master cylinder meets the pedal cluster? The pedal cluster itself? I don't know a thread off the top of my head that shows fixing the floor pan where the pedal cluster bracket is, but with enough digging (and/or someone's help) I'm sure one can be found.

I just got through replacing that whole area. The floor pan is completely new, but I had to fab the section where the master cylinder connects to that section of the floor plan. I could provide a picture if that would help.
+Quote Post
gisound
post May 2 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #3

If you have a picture that you could share that would be very helpful. I havent gotten in there to take it apart an see exactly whats going on but I do know the pedal assembly is VERY loose where it attaches (or used to attach) to the floor. So there will be pan work I know. Just trying to see what else may be involved.

Thanks again!
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post May 2 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 2 2016, 11:43 AM) *

You may want to post pictures of what you're trying to repair. The floor plan under the pedal cluster? The bulkhead where the master cylinder meets the pedal cluster? The pedal cluster itself? I don't know a thread off the top of my head that shows fixing the floor pan where the pedal cluster bracket is, but with enough digging (and/or someone's help) I'm sure one can be found.

I just got through replacing that whole area. The floor pan is completely new, but I had to fab the section where the master cylinder connects to that section of the floor plan. I could provide a picture if that would help.

If you have the time please Post some pictures I have the same issue and need some help

Thanks
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 2 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Ok, here's the reader's digest view of my front floor pan area repair (what it looked like before and after).

Here's the PO's attempt at fiberglass repairing what was left of the pedal cluster bracket on bottom of the floor pan. You can see the mess of sticky black stuff just below the tunnel outline (driver's side below tunnel in this view, obviously). I'd say that repair was very well done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Attached Image

And here's what was left of the metal at the master cylinder bulkhead after I removed the "repair." There was really no metal left. Nope, no safety issues here:

Attached Image

I purchased the entire floor pan from Reston Design. The only problem is, it ends about where that yellow line is spray painted in the picture above. Everything forward of that had to be fabricated or repaired. Fabricating the master cylinder piece was tough for me because a) it's a complex shape, and b) I suck at this. Here it is with the new front floor pan and the master cylinder mount.

Attached Image

I "reconditioned" the other large complex piece of metal forward of the floor pan, and fabbed one other small piece. The large complex piece is not in great shape, but I think I reconditioned it to the point where it will work. Here's the semi-finished piece prior to welding on the pedal cluster bracket (bottom picture) which I did this weekend (but don't have a picture yet). That bracket is part of the floor pan kit from Resto Design. I think it looks slightly better than the black blob of goo that was on there before.

Attached Image
Attached Image

If you need another angle or picture, let me know. The car is still vertical and will be for a little while longer.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post May 2 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like the the same problem if not a little worse than my car.

I will give it a go...... it will be fun
+Quote Post
gisound
post May 2 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #7

Thanks! Thats exactly what I thought! Looks like I'm in for a lot of the same repairs. On the drivers side at least. Didnt think there would be a pre made piece for the forward area where the master cyl. mounts. Looks like its time to break out the hammer and slide rule!

Thanks again,

Blair
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 2 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,741

I suffer the same fate in my silver car - rest of the floor is solid thankfully. Agree, I haven't found an aftermarket panel, so it took a while, but was able to get the panel cut from a parts car thanks to a fellow World member. Now to do the work...

Also, give Restoration Design a call. I had talked to them one time about this, and though they don't make the panel, they offered to look for a parts car to cut one from. Plus, if enough people inquire, perhaps they'll start manufacturing them...
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post May 2 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I don't have any good pictures of how we did it, other than to use the support bracket and pedal cluster as a sort of template to get an idea of how to transition the metal from the floor pan to the vertical master cylinder piece. Then I carved out a wooden "buck" of sorts to hammer the shape into the repair metal. Then, just welded it in. As long as you're careful to make sure that the bolt holes for the M/C and pedal cluster all line up as you go, you'll be fine.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 2 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(somd914 @ May 2 2016, 06:21 PM) *

I suffer the same fate in my silver car - rest of the floor is solid thankfully. Agree, I haven't found an aftermarket panel, so it took a while, but was able to get the panel cut from a parts car thanks to a fellow World member. Now to do the work...

Also, give Restoration Design a call. I had talked to them one time about this, and though they don't make the panel, they offered to look for a parts car to cut one from. Plus, if enough people inquire, perhaps they'll start manufacturing them...

It's good you had access to a parts car. It would have been preferable to use a solid donor piece.

Good idea about calling Restoration Design, as well, either for donor or for a fabbed piece. I think I recall a few months ago that they were planning on adding more metal pieces to their catalog.
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 2 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,741

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 2 2016, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ May 2 2016, 06:21 PM) *

It's good you had access to a parts car. It would have been preferable to use a solid donor piece.

Good idea about calling Restoration Design, as well, either for donor or for a fabbed piece. I think I recall a few months ago that they were planning on adding more metal pieces to their catalog.

We still need to do the work, on our schedule for this summer once it gets hot and humid and don't won't to drive the teener...

Nice write up by the way, thanks for sharing.
+Quote Post
cary
post May 3 2016, 08:40 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 2 2016, 03:49 PM) *

As long as you're careful to make sure that the bolt holes for the M/C and pedal cluster all line up as you go, you'll be fine.

Most important and hardest part.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 3 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(cary @ May 3 2016, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 2 2016, 03:49 PM) *

As long as you're careful to make sure that the bolt holes for the M/C and pedal cluster all line up as you go, you'll be fine.

Most important and hardest part.

I think I test fit everything 10 times. Even then the bolt holes for the bracket weren't perfectly lined up. I needed to adjust them slightly. I had the pedal cluster bolted in with the bracket and the MC attached before I actually welded the bracket to the floor pan.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post May 3 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

I have seen that area rusted out on a number of cars now, brake fluid from a leaking MC is likely the culprit. It might be a good piece for Restoration Design to make next.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post May 3 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 2 2016, 03:24 PM) *

Attached Image

Does anyone know why this piece has the hole in the front? the way it mounts it becomes a little tow loop, if you are so inclined. Seems weird and I know the Germans had a reason for it.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 3 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #16

I asked this in a separate thread a few days ago. Consensus from more experienced hands than me was that the loop serves no real purpose, German engineering aside.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post May 3 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

I rep[aired mine recently with one small insert near gas pedal and three doublers on the outside or bottom that make the pan stronger than original. A resto Design part then goes on the outside to attachj the pedal assembly and to fasten the gas pedal to. The hole or ring seems to be a drain for the front floor pan. Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post May 3 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #18

Add the resto design part outside.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post May 3 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #19

Paint and reinstall pedals. Hope to get some Bruce D Stone rebuilt pedals at some point.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:28 PM