Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Trailing Arms, Reinforcements to Resist Twisting
Heater Guy
post May 6 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,960
Region Association: Northern California

Lamont Welding & Fabrication in Antioch, CA (925) 754-7824 has a fixture to modify trailing arms. It holds the trailing arm in the correct stock alignment.

He mounts the trailing arm in the fixture, cuts it in half and welds in a 1/8" rectangular
plate. The 1/8" plate helps to reduce twisting deformation by breaking the twisting length
of the arm into two lengths instead of one long length. The charge is $80.00 per trailing arm.

I just had my trailing arms reinforced. This reinforcing method is better than plating the arms with heavy sheet metal.
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 6 2016, 11:37 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

There is a much easier way to do that.

That is cheap for $80.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 7 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ May 7 2016, 12:00 AM) *

This reinforcing method is better than plating the arms with heavy sheet metal.

Welding a bulkhead inside the trailing arm box is the most effective stiffening method IMO. Lighter than boxed, and no warpage. Stiffer than drilling and welding tubes thru. An added advantage is the fixturing - assures proper orientation of the T/A.
I've been doing it this way for many years.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 7 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 7 2016, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ May 7 2016, 12:00 AM) *

This reinforcing method is better than plating the arms with heavy sheet metal.

Welding a bulkhead inside the trailing arm box is the most effective stiffening method IMO. Lighter than boxed, and no warpage. Stiffer than drilling and welding tubes thru. An added advantage is the fixturing - assures proper orientation of the T/A.
I've been doing it this way for many years.

And when you get done installing Chris's reinforced trailing arms the car aligns correctly, unless of course you have a bent body.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 8 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I dunno........
I built my 914 AXer over a period of 15 years. I started off with a rust free 74 (or as close as it gets) stocker. It ended up with 10 inch slicks and having been gone through from end to end.

It got an alignment check every year as I jumped around for set ups but it was stable for the last few years as far as modifications went....it still got the alignment checked.
The car was light & worked out well.
Other than seam welding, needle bearings, some grinding for lightness & 275 lb rear springs, the trailing arms were untouched and never a problem.
I was never one to leave a real "problem" alone but a believer in "if it ain't broke...."
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 8 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 8 2016, 06:27 AM) *

I dunno........
I built my 914 AXer over a period of 15 years. I started off with a rust free 74 (or as close as it gets) stocker. It ended up with 10 inch slicks and having been gone through from end to end.

It got an alignment check every year as I jumped around for set ups but it was stable for the last few years as far as modifications went....it still got the alignment checked.
The car was light & worked out well.
Other than seam welding, needle bearings, some grinding for lightness & 275 lb rear springs, the trailing arms were untouched and never a problem.
I was never one to leave a real "problem" alone but a believer in "if it ain't broke...."

Seam welding is pretty smart and a great way to get a car stiff.

I never realized how important a stiff car was until after I had the complete cage built and quickly saw the performance difference at a subsequent event.

And of course the difficult part is figuring out, or finally discovering, that seam welding is good after you had the car built!

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 8 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

A cage/sub frame with the shock towers attached came to me later in the build...maybe 10 years into it. It's hard to explain to someone who's never done it, but it was the best move I ever made. The closest thing I could say was the car became a "piece".( which is meaningless to many)Attached Image
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 8 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 8 2016, 09:48 AM) *

A cage/sub frame with the shock towers attached came to me later in the build...maybe 10 years into it. It's hard to explain to someone who's never done it, but it was the best move I ever made. The closest thing I could say was the car became a "piece".( which is meaningless to many)Attached Image

By the way Thanks! JP for showing us newbies the importance of a complete cage, tied in from front to back.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 8 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

By the way Thanks! JP for showing us newbies the importance of a complete cage, tied in from front to back.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post May 9 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,985

I haven't tested the tendency of 914 arms to bend - I've just relied on the advice of others, so take my comments (or not) accordingly.

I'd like to add the point that bending of trailing arms like the 914 uses may be hard to detect, especially if it's only flexing and not permanent deformation. Deformation can be detected with an alignment job. You may not know flexing is happening, and thus not know if's an issue that needs addressing.

I believe there is an older thread in which Chris gives some detail about the mod he does, and there was some actual testing of deflection before/after?

Scott
+Quote Post
jhadler
post May 9 2016, 03:13 PM
Post #11

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

My recollection was that the trailing arm mounting ears were typically responsible for much of the flexing under load, and that reinforcing the arms themselves does not really stop that from happening... Reinforcing the mounting ears though...

-Josh
+Quote Post
brant
post May 9 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Randal @ May 8 2016, 11:15 AM) *

unfortunately not legal for 99 percent of vintage racing organizations
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 9 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(jhadler @ May 9 2016, 05:13 PM) *

My recollection was that the trailing arm mounting ears were typically responsible for much of the flexing under load, and that reinforcing the arms themselves does not really stop that from happening... Reinforcing the mounting ears though...

-Josh

Everything flexes if you put enough load on it.
Stock arms definitely flex if you have wide sticky tires, as do the outer console brackets and even the inner and outer consoles on the longitudinals.
These cars were not originally engineered to cope with 1+ lateral G force.
+Quote Post
Heater Guy
post May 9 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,960
Region Association: Northern California

I run 315 - 17 Hoosier slicks on my SCCA
track car. These hot sticky tires will torque
stress the trailing arms and cause them to
Flex. The thin walls of my trailing arms
have stressed to the point of
taking a perminent set. Tired of pulling out and putting in shims to correct geometry.

I have always believed it was better to reinforce the
chassis connetions than plate the trailing arms to the extent that if the trailing arm gets hit, it rips out the chassis connections. Used trailing arms are relatively cheap compared to chassis repair.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 10 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #15

Irrelevant old fart

I found the most Gawd awful welding on the 914 Right at the mounting points area for the trailing arms. lit myself on fire while rewelding/grinding overhead....not my best position when welding, but after grinding most of that mess out of there , the reweld looked pretty good....... a separate issue from torque tube twist. I too would rather replace a torque tube IF something has to fail.

I have no doubts the tubes twist under load. . Mine never twisted enough to take a set, but since I couldn't feel it, it didn't happen. I'm a butt dyno kinda guy.

Pick your own poison.
+Quote Post
old914dog
post May 10 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,643

Brant and Chris,
Since Vintage racing does not allow "cage to suspension pick-up points," what is your opinion on the inner ear reinforcement which goes forward to the lower firewall. Can be welded or bolt-in as small radius rod. I also think the inner ear problems are partially due to the outer ear becoming loose or ?? Please opine for us vintage cars and more vintage drivers!!
+Quote Post
old914dog
post May 10 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,643

WOW!!
I just noticed that I am a "newbie"!! Only joined in 2004. As my memory fades, everything is new the next day...
+Quote Post
brant
post May 10 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard

QUOTE(old914dog @ May 10 2016, 08:58 AM) *

Brant and Chris,
Since Vintage racing does not allow "cage to suspension pick-up points," what is your opinion on the inner ear reinforcement which goes forward to the lower firewall. Can be welded or bolt-in as small radius rod. I also think the inner ear problems are partially due to the outer ear becoming loose or ?? Please opine for us vintage cars and more vintage drivers!!

I depends on the specific rules of each club
my club allows bolt in reinforcements, but not weld in reinforcements

I run bolt in console braces on both of the 914 race cars I've built

I ripped out 2 suspension consoles within about a year, before adding my first bolt in reinforcement

I consider it mandatory

prior to reinforcement the trailing arm shaft lock nuts would be loose each and every day the car was tracked. it was a daily ritual to re-torque these and would lead to a tear if not tightened.

since adding the reinforcements I haven't had a shaft nut come loose in 15 years.

I believe a cage to the suspension points would make the car handle better
but arm bolt in reinforcements make it not tear itself apart

brant
+Quote Post
brant
post May 10 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

QUOTE(old914dog @ May 10 2016, 09:03 AM) *

WOW!!
I just noticed that I am a "newbie"!! Only joined in 2004. As my memory fades, everything is new the next day...

you need more posts to move out of the newbie status
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 11 2016, 07:20 AM
Post #20

Irrelevant old fart

A bit of drift on the trailing arm, but we are still in the area.

I march to the beat of my own drummer. Sure I listen (or read) what other folks are doing to their cars and take interest in how /what they are dealing with problems.
Some times I even say "hay, that is pretty slick"......some times NOT.

News Flash!!!

Failure of the trailing arm mount is a larger problem than the arm itself and effects all, not just racers.

Marching to my drummer....
Attached Image
Looks pretty simple, no?. It ain't. There is a 3/16 piece of plate replacing the inner half of the mount. The reinforcement tube goes to the frame and not the skimpy fwd bulkhead for a reason. No, not a perfect fix, but that ain't going anywhere. I think I have detailed pictures of the process if you want em'.....but it will cost you a PM.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:31 AM