Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got a scare today, Thought the Megasquirt bought it
DNHunt
post Jun 18 2003, 09:24 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Pulled away from a stop sign the car coughed and died. Tried to start it it would sputter and die. Ok I'll let it cool down. Waited 5 minutes tried to start it, it ran for a few seconds and died. Panic my new fuel injection unit must have cooked a component. WRONG

I ran outa gas. Stupid idiot wouldn't believe the orange light in the fuel gauge. Got out took the cap off seemed pretty dry. I had plenty of time to call myself names as I humped about a mile to the gas station, then another half mile to the Auto parts store for a gas can and the back. Put a couple of gallons in it and it fired right up, ran fine all the way home. Tomorrow after work I get to change the fuel filter. I hate that job but I guess I earned it for being so stupid.

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jun 19 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #2

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Keeps you humble huh? I had an injector contact disconnected, and I was beside myself because it was backfiring like crazy, and had no power. Figured my mistake, and looked around to make sure nobody saw me throwing my tantrum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jun 19 2003, 07:26 AM
Post #3

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Glasshoppa... better to throw Pizza than tantrum
with tantrum you get egg on face (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
with Pizza it easier to clean up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) bruce
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jun 19 2003, 07:33 AM
Post #4

Hey Bruce, isn't it funny that we are always learning the same lessons in life over and over. I always thought that as I got older I would acquire some wisdom. Maybe I'll learn this one. PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAUGES, THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON.

Dave
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jun 19 2003, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

Ya Dave, I found that out while traveling thru Montana at 6 in the morning. way back in the early spring of the 70's. 15 degrees and my thumb out for a ride to the next town 20 miles away!!! The 62 Buick Special convertible didn't get as good a gas mileage as I'd thought! The biggest bummer of that story is... the gas station that I saw a hundred yds of in the field was open... he just didn't have his lightes on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) When I got back with gas I drove over to it and found him open. I asked him why he didn't have lights on & his reply was, "whuddaya need lights on in the daytime for, boy?"
I wanted gas so I jest smiled & said, " filler up puhleese"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jun 19 2003, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Bruce,

Maybe if my previous experiences with running outa gas would have been as dreadful as yours I woulda learned. I use to run my 74 Superbeetle outa gas all the time but, that was in town. No big deal.

I felt kinda lucky that I didn't pull a bunch a crap from the tank into the fuel filter. I was very thankful when I got across the Narrows Bridge with no problem. The fuel filter was new so maybe thats why I got away with it. Still I think I,ll pull it out and replace it. I've had fuel filter problems before and they can be real confusing so I don't think I'll take any chances.

Dave
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 19 2003, 09:11 AM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Good idea to change that filter, Dave. If you run em out of gas they can try to suck whatever crap is on the bottom of the tank. When you do you suspension fixes this winter pull the gas tank and clean it.
I was having a good laugh reading your post, Thanks
Geoff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:27 AM