Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dist. vacuum advance, retard, ported, manifold?, Anybody know the real story?
JPA914
post May 15 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,905
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'd like to test the vacuum canister on my 1974 2.0. It just has the one line going to the TB, the other vacuum port is open to the atmosphere. TB has only one port, the other is blocked off for my year model. Now, from all I've heard, this is a retard ONLY setup with no vacuum advance.

However, if I'm understanding correctly how vacuum retard works, I think the canister should be connected to a ported vacuum on the TB. And a ported vacuum source is one that is above the closed throttle plate, so that timing is not advanced at idle (no vacuum above the plate) but advanced at part throttle (source is now below the slightly open plate, creating vacuum).

The problem with this model is that the only vacuum port on the TB is clearly below the closed throttle plate. This would be a manifold vacuum source, usually used for advance only, as the advance would be highest at idle (most vacuum) and less and less as the throttle is opened further. There is no "ported" source. Anybody know if this really is a "retard only" system and, if so, how it's supposed to work? I probably need to know that before I test it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:24 PM