Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turbo Tie Rods, steering still fells loose!, Loose on center feel at 40+ MPH
ken914
post Apr 3 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Whole lot 'O 914/6

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,122

I just had a set of turbo tie rods put on. I expected go kart like steering afterwards, but it didn't feel much better.

I think the steering rack may be worn or loose?? Does that make any sense. It isn't suspension, it just isn't as precise on center as I expect it to be.

Any recommendations?

Here is a photo of something loose...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 3 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Maybe theres a loose nut behind the steering wheel? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Ok, Someone had to say it.

Seriously, what do you mean by "it just isn't as precise on center as I expect it to be" ? Do you mean it won't go straight down the road? Did you set the toe after installation?
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Apr 3 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just a simple question Did you get it aligned after you did the job? That alone can effect the feel of the steering.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 3 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

balljoints are new?????

racks hardly are "worn and need to be replaced"

after an alignemnt, fresh bushings, and balljoints along with turbo tierods.... i get the gokart status
+Quote Post
ken914
post Apr 3 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Whole lot 'O 914/6

What I mean by loose is if you are going 40ish or more, you can turn the steering wheel back and forth but the car does not change direction. I can move the top of the wheel about 3/4 of an inch back and forth without effecting the direction the car is going. You can feel when it hits resistance and then starts to affect the path.

Yes, the car was aligned afterwards.

I think that there is something loose either in the rack or in the steering between the rack and the wheel. I have not put it up on ramps myself to try to see what is going on. I guess it can only be 1) the rack not tied to the car tight (loose bolts) 2) the rack has slack inside it or 3) the linkage to the steering wheel has some slack in it somewhere uphill from the rack.

I was hoping someone would say, "Oh, use a 10mm wrench on the third bolt from the left"...

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 3 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #6

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Oh, use a 10mm wrench on the third bolt from the left...
+Quote Post
JohnM
post Apr 3 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #7

914 enduro driver

Member No.: 2,387

I check my rack bolts often after I found it hanging on by only one bolt and it was half way out! Driving with this condition produced slightly more play but not as much as you would imagine, slightly mushy-- rack was moving a bit with input so steering response was not as tight, front end would "bump off track" meaning when hitting any abrupt bump-- even the lane marker bumps car would move offline ever so slightly and would need slight 1/2 inch or less counter wheel input to bring back on line. I found the bumping off track the most annoying and it was what prompted me to see if something was loose up there. John
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Apr 3 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wheel bearings, ball joints, alignment settings, tire pressure etc.

They all make up for some slop, there is a rag joint that attaches to the steering rack that maybe a little wallered out too.
+Quote Post
nickg
post Apr 3 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,652

check the universal joint in the steering shaft...this will cause that. you will need to have someone turn the wheel back and forth too see if the joint be loose
+Quote Post
ken914
post Apr 3 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #10

Whole lot 'O 914/6

Thanks for all the help (except for Eric_Shea (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) ). I will rip into it and see where it leads.

Ken
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 3 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #11

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

But you saaaaaaiiiiiiiiiid... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Honestly, it looks like you've got all the advice you need. I was going to say "strut bottoms" when you mentioned it felt loose at 40mph. If it's an early car then those have been known to waller out as well. Then you clarified in later posts and that doesn't sound like your problem.

I'd start back at the rack and make sure it's bolted up properly. I think the torque was something like 35 ftlbs. On top of the rack (gotta take it out to get at it) is a rubber donut... maybe but unlikely. Move further up the signal chain up and you'll have the u-joints. Check the one closest to the firewall and then the one under the steering column. I believe a 13mm and a 12mm (believe it or not) are needed.

If you've done all that then you probably do need a new rack. It's not unlikely. I have one I'll loan you for 80 years for $40.00 plus shipping. (that's $0.50 cents a year... what a bargin (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) )

How's that? Better this time? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 3 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

double check everything, pull the dust boots back. did you locktite the rack ends? check the wheel bearings, do the wheels rock if you shake them? check the crossmember bolts (4). everything. did you lower and rack space? how are the bushings? lots-o-? first.

k
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:05 AM