Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electronic Ignition, XR3000
meares
post Apr 3 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,800

just bought a Crane XR 3000 Fireball Sys., LX 91 E Core Coil, with the locking coil wire, 5800 Rev. limiter, and finally distributor grease!!! it says not to use points....is this all i need to replace the stock system? to make it a point-less sys.? Also i'll get new plugs, any recommendations would be nice! Lastly, are the Magnacore K85 wires a good fit for what i'm doing? basically what i'm doing is replacing my 1.7 with a 2 and i think i'll get better performance with these upgrades..... Lots of questions so THANKS for answers in advance!!!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 3 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (meares @ Apr 3 2005, 04:26 PM)
just bought a Crane XR 3000 Fireball Sys., LX 91 E Core Coil, with the locking coil wire, 5800 Rev. limiter, and finally distributor grease!!! it says not to use points....is this all i need to replace the stock system? to make it a point-less sys.?

yes, which means you probably no longer have a need for the distributor grease. keep it as a souvenir - all the really good mechanics have a tube of that stuff tucked away in the back of a drawer somewhere ...

Also i'll get new plugs, any recommendations would be nice! Lastly, are the Magnacore K85 wires a good fit for what i'm doing?

Bosch copper or silver-tipped 'C' or 'S' plugs work well; lots of guys like NKG's as well. Bosch fine-wire platinums don't work well, no matter how many electrodes they stick on 'em. the Magnecor's will be fine.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 3 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

the XR 3000 replaces the points inside the distributor if I am correct, so it sounds like you have everything you need.....I know with the Mallory stuff, the coil has to be a certain Ohm range to work properly, hopefully with the Crane stuff it is all matched to work together....
+Quote Post
KenH
post Apr 3 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 156

Yes thats all you need.

I found installation of the shutter and distributer parts easier to install by removing the distributer. It takes a bit of time to place the bracket inside the distributor.

Be sure the LED module clears everthing before you reinstall the distributer.

If you use the Magnacore wires, which I recommend, I found the one for the 2.0 were way too long. I used the ones for the 1.7. I do not know why they make two different lenghts - neither did they when I asked.

FYI - I mounted the module and coil in the trunk high up on the fire wall.

Ken
+Quote Post
meares
post Apr 3 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #5

thanks gents!!! should i use the stock distributor or buy a ( i'm fuzzy on the #s) Bosch 009 or 050? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 3 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (meares @ Apr 3 2005, 05:50 PM)
thanks gents!!! should i use the stock distributor or buy a ( i'm fuzzy on the #s) Bosch 009 or 050? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

if using the stock D-Jet fuel injection, you must use the factory distributor....

if carbs or aftermarket Fuel injection, get a Mallory Unilite (of course you wouldn't need the Crane XR 3000 box)

+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 4 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #7

rich herzog

QUOTE (meares @ Apr 3 2005, 07:50 PM)
should i use the stock distributor

yes, you should use the stock distributor.
+Quote Post
p914
post Apr 4 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,117

Check out the http://www.supersonicspark.com
and tell them your setup and they will suggest a proper plug, usually bosch or NGK. combined with the electronic ignition the plugs add the final touch.
+Quote Post
meares
post Apr 4 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #9

BTW p914....GREAT pic beside your post!!!! is the stuff i bought REALLY worth it on a stock 2L?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 4 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #10

rich herzog

QUOTE (meares @ Apr 4 2005, 06:33 PM)
is the stuff i bought REALLY worth it on a stock 2L?

if you mean, "will it release dozens of untapped HP" the answer is no. a really good CD ignition sometimes makes the car easier to start in the winter, idle a little better, and act a little crisper through the midrange. and you know you're not giving up anything on top. might be good for a couple of HP.

if you mean "am i now relieved of having to d!ck with setting and replacing points forever" the answer is yes. some of us have time to 'commune' with the car, and i didn't begrudge it when i did, but my life has changed since those days ...
+Quote Post
p914
post Apr 4 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,117

Thanks I love Marylin (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

I think it is. I have a Jacobs I.C.E. Pak on my 2.0 75.
I had a bit of a problem some time ago with a hiccup I could not get rid of. It had multiple problems that my mechanic was able to solve about 97%. The electronic ignition helped that out and overall made the car run smoother and get better milage.
I then put in those plugs. There was a notable difference in the smooth running and milage as those plugs burn the gas in the chamber more efficiently. I talked with the folks at Supersonic and they made recommendations for colder running plugs as my Jacobs puts out 45-60K volts. I think that 914 fuel injectors are probably not the most efficient in spraying after a period of time so the plugs help atomize the fuel at the burn instead of having to rely on the injector making the proper spray. Just my 2 pennies worth.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:19 PM