Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interest in Billet Tuna Group Buy? Brexit sale last days
cgnj
post May 20 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

My last update.

I contacted Neil. He is certain the tunacan will fit in a small flat rate box. If you paid too much, I will reimbuse you for the difference.

This is the current pricing.
Tunacan $56.17
Tacoplate $39.73
Tunacan cover $28.77
Shipping/insurance across pond = $3.43 per unit.
US shipping looks to be a small flat rate box $6.80
Paypal to 7394teen@gmail.com. I am placing this order tommorrow 7/6/2016 @ 12:00 edst.

Thanks for your patience

Carlos

I have contacted each person who PMed or posted to this date. If I missed you I apologize, please PM me.

I realized that with the brexit vote, the exchange had a chance to turn to our favor.
Waiting saved 8%.

This is the current pricing with todays exchamge $1.37=1 GBP
I am at 13 of each piece. I do't think it will be possible to reach the next discount level, which would required 25/unit.

Tunacan $56.17
Tacoplate $39.73
Tunacan cover $28.77
Shipping/insurance across pond = $3.43 per unit.

My zip is 19111. You can I expect a med flate rate box is required if you order a tunacan, otherwise a small flat rate will work. It is easier for you to calc your own US shipping.

PM me if you are a last minute buyer. I will forward my paypal to you and confirm the pricing with you.

Please don't post here, PM me. Please don't make me do your math. I have a headache already.

As soon as I hit 50% I am ordering. Hopefully I'm not eating them.

Carlos

Hi,
You may remember the billet tuna can group buy. I have been in contact with Neil and he would be willing to offer it again.
He also offers a Taco plate. He sent me his newest catalog and it is attached here.
I have no idea what the pricing will be, depends on volume, but at least shipping will be less.

CarlosAttached File  Engine_parts_catalogue___Type_4___rev.01.pdf ( 121.27k ) Number of downloads: 741

Update, I believe that I have enough commitments to reach the following pricing I believe im am at 10 for tuna can, tunacan cover and tacoplate. I think it will be pretty tough to reach 25 of any particular piece.

tuna can @ £41=$59.60 at todays exchange
tuna can cover @ £21=30.51
Taco plate @ £29=42.13

There will be shipping, and possibly duties, I'm not aware of what they will be at the moment. Figure a small/med flat rate box, Plus a share of getting the box over the pond.

I will contact each of you who has expressed interest to this point. I will keep this alive till 6/12.

Again, Please PM me if you are interested. I may miss contacting you.

Carlos
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post May 20 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #2

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I was in on the last group buy, the products are outstanding, especially the taco plate.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 20 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

I'm interested, but would need a price to commit.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 20 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I was going to make these at one time and was told by MarkD that some folk had issues with aluminum being too good of a heat sink in that application?
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 20 2016, 02:52 PM
Post #5

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 20 2016, 01:50 PM) *

I was going to make these at one time and was told by MarkD that some folk had issues with aluminum being too good of a heat sink in that application?

Too good of a heat sink? Please elaborate. In my head a heat sink is another place for heat to be radiated away which is normally a good thing. I must be missing something. :-)
+Quote Post
cgnj
post May 20 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 403

I can already tell that this is the only time I will do this. I am going to purchase 2 of each no matter how many peeps join. I have no idea what the goal number is for the best deal.

Well, I'm not a engineer, but I'm guessing that the delta specifc heat of this Al disk vs. the stock disk isn't going to have a material effect on the resolution of your 40 year old guage and sender and at some point it will reach equilbrium, and have no effect on your guage at all.
I paid big bucks for for two engineering degrees, should I make the kids do the the math?
Carlos
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 20 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

[/quote]

Too good of a heat sink? Please elaborate. In my head a heat sink is another place for heat to be radiated away which is normally a good thing. I must be missing something. :-)
[/quote]

I think that what mean the the AL dissipates heat better than steel an will influence the temperature of the sender which screws into it giving a low reading. Even if it is off 10-20 degrees you are looking for temperatures out of the norm. Remember the original have a cover on the plate to protect the sender from air that would cool it and send low readings.
Bruce
+Quote Post
PotterPorsche
post May 20 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,628

Im interested
+Quote Post
barefoot
post May 21 2016, 06:05 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

For the Tuna can, more heat dissipation would be a good thing. Note how the bottom of the engine case is finned, part of that reasoning is the same dissipation.
If i build a tuna can (i just might) I'd put external fins on it for more heat transfer.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 21 2016, 06:09 AM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 20 2016, 01:40 PM) *

I was in on the last group buy, the products are outstanding, especially the taco plate.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Excellent quality products; both my tuna can and temp sender plate have been trouble free
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 21 2016, 06:23 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

After battling a leaking taco plate for years, I got in touch with Neil and bought his billet taco plate for my fresh 2056.

I'm completely impressed with the fit & quality. Most importantly...no leaks!
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post May 21 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,557
Region Association: Southern California

I'm interested. Was already considering one in the near future.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post May 22 2016, 04:38 AM
Post #13

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I would be interested as well!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 22 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'm interested as well....
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 22 2016, 08:29 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 20 2016, 04:52 PM) *

One of my customers installed a stock oil temp sensor in a stock oil temp mount (taco plate), but without the outer cover piece. So the sensor hex portion was exposed to air flow. He installed a styrofoam cover as a quick test and noticed a significant difference in the temperature reading. The airflow directly on the sensor hex portion was cooling it enough to make the reading inaccurate. Adding an aluminum taco plate would exacerbate the problem. The plate would cool the sensor significantly and your oil temps would read low. You could get away with an aluminum taco plate if you found a sensor that was insulated from the mount (a plastic housing, instead of brass, for example).

Heat being radiated away is a good thing for the oil. And a bad thing for the sensor.
+Quote Post
struckn
post May 22 2016, 08:45 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

FYI... I have a Tuna Can on mine and just wanted to let you know that when you get yours don't over tork the bolt. Just snug it on because you can easiely strip the threads in the case if you over tighten. Also compensate for the slightly more oil the Tuna can will add which will not be seen on the dip stick.
+Quote Post
jonesy
post May 30 2016, 07:25 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 15,293

QUOTE(cgnj @ May 20 2016, 12:15 PM) *

Hi,
You may remember the billet tuna can group buy. I have been in contact with Neil and he would be willing to offer it again.

He also offers a Taco plate. He sent me his newest catalog and it is attached here.

I have no idea what the pricing will be, depends on volume, but at least shipping will be less.

CarlosAttached File  Engine_parts_catalogue___Type_4___rev.01.pdf ( 121.27k ) Number of downloads: 741

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 20 2016, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 21 2016, 04:09 AM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 20 2016, 01:40 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Excellent quality products; both my tuna can and temp sender plate have been trouble free

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 21 2016, 04:23 AM) *

After battling a leaking taco plate for years, I got in touch with Neil and bought his billet taco plate for my fresh 2056.

I'm completely impressed with the fit & quality. Most importantly...no leaks!

Thanks Guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hello all and thanks for your interest.

Heres some figures for you;

Taco plate
£32 each for 1-4
£31 each for 5-9
£29 each for 10-24
£27 each for 25-49
£25 each for 50+

Tuna can
£45 each for 1-4
£43 each for 5-9
£41 each for 10-24
£39 each for 25-49
£36 each for 50+

Shipping
£8 for 1 Part
£2 for each additional part up to 10 parts
£1 for each additional part over 10 parts

Shipping Insurance
£1 for each part for shipping insurance.

As an example if you order 10 taco plates and have them shipped to the same address they will work out to £31.60 each including shipping, which is less than the £32 for just the part. Or better still if i can make 25 for you then they will be £28.64 each including shipping. But for 50 they work out to just £26.32 each including shipping.

This is the same pricing as i offered for the last group buy. I really should have increased it as the shipping certainly stung me. That was my fault for not calculating in the insurance. So this time i have added it separately. i wouldn't want to ship a group buy without insurance so please bear in mind that the example prices from before will be increased by £1 each part to cover the shipping insurance.

Considering that the last group buy was over 3 years ago, a £1 increase (that should have been on there 3 years ago anyway) is a pretty good deal for you guys.

I hope you think this is fair. I'm sure that you will be very happy with the parts you receive from me, if an order is placed.

Cheers,
Neil
+Quote Post
HansJan
post May 30 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

I love to have one. Or maybe even one of each. But can some one explain what we mean with Tuna-can and Taco-plate?

Br,
Hans Jan
+Quote Post
jonesy
post May 31 2016, 01:57 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Hans Jan @ May 30 2016, 04:28 PM) *

I love to have one. Or maybe even one of each. But can some one explain what we mean with Tuna-can and Taco-plate?

Br,
Hans Jan

Taco plate pics and details; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=978324

Tuna can pics and details; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=978326

Cheers,
Neil

+Quote Post
jonesy
post May 31 2016, 02:03 AM
Post #20

I should have also added the Tuna can oil sump cover plate (item 5 on the catalogue that Carlos kindly attached)

£23 each for 1-4
£22 each for 5-9
£21 each for 10-24
£19 each for 25-49
£17 each for 50+
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 PM