Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rubber rubbing blocks around gas-tank., Looking for position of rubber blocks.
HansJan
post May 20 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

To prepare for the installation of the Tangerine solid fuel lines, I pulled the tank out of the car. Two large rubber blocks fell out. Now I am trying to figure out where to place these blocks when the tank goes back in. Does anyone know?

Additionally Im am looking for new lug nuts. The car has five-lug fuchs rims. But the seller put mismathed nuts on. Mismatched meaning; the conical part of the nuts do not match the concaves in the rims. I still have some aluminum nuts (from my 911 days), but these used to break. Looking on the web I cant find steel black nuts to match the rims. Does anyone here have a solution for this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Garland
post May 20 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Both sides of the tank, near the top of the strut tower.
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 21 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Garland @ May 21 2016, 12:32 AM) *

Both sides of the tank, near the top of the strut tower.
Attached Image

Attached Image

You will notice a slot running down the length of the rubber block. Those fit on the side of the tank near the top.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 21 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Hans Jan @ May 21 2016, 03:51 PM) *

To prepare for the installation of the Tangerine solid fuel lines, I pulled the tank out of the car. Two large rubber blocks fell out. Now I am trying to figure out where to place these blocks when the tank goes back in. Does anyone know?

Additionally Im am looking for new lug nuts. The car has five-lug fuchs rims. But the seller put mismathed nuts on. Mismatched meaning; the conical part of the nuts do not match the concaves in the rims. I still have some aluminum nuts (from my 911 days), but these used to break. Looking on the web I cant find steel black nuts to match the rims. Does anyone here have a solution for this?

As the picture shows,my car is silver and the rubber had left black marks on the body,there isn't really a lot of other places for them to go just make sure you bed the tank into them before tightening the strap.

Never had an issue with the alloy nuts as you have mentioned.
+Quote Post
HansJan
post May 21 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the good explanation and pictures. Without your help I would have thrown them on the bottom of this area (where they were when I first noticed them).

Br,
Hans Jan
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 21 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here is a tip for when you put tank back in. The rubber fuel lines will want to kink, especially near where they connect to tank.

The trick I discovered ,the second time I pulled the tank, is to loop the hose which a lot of folks will tell you. I put a loop right near where the hose connect to the tank. I then used a loose fitting zip tie to secure the loop to the metal that the hose connects to. Unlike the first time around, dropping it back in without kinking the hose was a piece of cake.

You did not mention the year of your car but if you have the 3 port pump, now is a good time to replace it with a new 2-port. They are inexpensive and doing it now will avoid the second tank pull while eliminating the Y-connection also means one less hose to deal with and fewer clamped connections likely to leak.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 21 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

If you have a helper on one end of the tank, you both can adjust the rubber blocks so the tank sits perfect and the hood closes properly. After getting to this point, carefully mark the tank where the rubber block sits.
The next time the tank is pulled, the rubber blocks can be taped to the tank using the Mark's as a guide.
I've been able to drop I the tank back in without help on the first try
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 22 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I put neoprene pads under the gas tank to replace the carpet. You want the tank to sit down appropriately and not hang up because of the rubber. Wiggling it back and forth helps it to sit.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 22 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #9

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Several sources for the 911 lug nuts in aluminum. Never seen one break.
Only steel ones I know of are open end in yellow.
+Quote Post
HansJan
post May 26 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Ok. Finished the installarion of Chriss fuel lines today and reinstalled the tank. Because of the help from all of you it went really easy.

Thanks
Hans Ja
+Quote Post
mikesjunk
post May 28 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,423
Region Association: None

Blocks, what blocks. Well of course my car doesn't have these so off to see if I can find some. More things for the todo list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:34 AM