Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> WCR 2016 - Thanks for the Memories, It's Not a Car, it's an Adventure
relentless
post May 21 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,636

First, thanks to Jamie for all his efforts for a successful WCR event this year. As usual, there are so many unexpected things that change plans by the minute, it is amazing that somehow the show goes on.

My ending to WCR 2016 was unexpected as well. On Thursday I had trailered the car down to Medford from Cave Junction, some 60 miles, so I could leave it at the event. I had taken the car out on a shakedown drive the day before, and it ran OK. So what could go wrong? Right??

This morning, my wife and I drove back from CJ to the event for the Show & Shine. Some brave souls helped me adjust my timing (thanks Greenie) and pointed out my MAF sensor was disconnected. Well, connecting the vacuum hose to the MAF made the car stall out at idle. So I decided to drive with the car running... crappily.

After leaving the motel with the group to tour the Applegate and surrounding area, my car up and quit in the middle of downtown Jacksonville. The car had been running rich and belching a lot of black smoke, but there was also some smoke (?) seen by the front of the driver's rear wheel. The odor was strange, and I didn't recognize it right off the bat.

Now what? Rubbing tires? Burning brakes? I got on my back and finally deduced it was the newly powdercoated underside tins that attach to the heat exchangers! 400 degrees doesn't cure the parts when subject to 7 or 800 degree temps, at least for a while.

So some good souls gave my wife a lift back to the motel to get our truck (thanks) so I could get my trailer and bring the 914 home.

While waiting for my wife to arrive, a car backed into the space in front of me, and the Oregon license was 914 GGV. Seriously. An omen, would it be good or bad?

By the time my wife returned with our truck, the 914's engine had cooled down, and it started back up. I instructed my wife to follow me and if I thought I could make it home, I would nurse the car back. Just another 80 miles or so. Otherwise I would go get the trailer.

I found I could keep the car going if I kept the revs up, so I used the e-brake and kept goosing the throttle and was able to make it onto Rt. 238 towards Grants Pass. I kept the revs over 3000 and was able to drive OK, but there was a serious lack of power. I now know what the old 40HP VW's must feel like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The main challenge on the way back was when I went to stop, as keeping the revs up, braking, clutching, and shifting simultaneously was not easy. A couple times I stalled the motor and had to pop the clutch before the car came to a stop to get it running again. How did I ever do that in my younger days? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Once on 199 and 30 miles from home, I thought I had it made. Then, by the Wonder store, I crested a rise and there was a mama Goose with a dozen or more babies smack dab in the middle of my lane! I had a split second to decide whether to brake to a stop and risk stalling and be stranded, or keeping the car moving.

I hit the brakes hard and almost got rear ended! I somehow was able to keep revving the engine and the little goslings and mama scattered. I was SURE I was going to stall the engine and pay the price for being a good person, but somehow I was able to continue and I looked in my rear view mirror and I hadn't ran over any of the babies. There was still one out in the middle of the road, but the car behind me let it run back to its family.

I made it home without incident except for the fa**ot who got on my tail and flipped me off for going the speed limit when he blasted past on Sours Flat. My wife never did catch up to me as there was a truck/trailer between us and the driver of said vehicle managed to side swipe an oncoming car and then stopped, blocking highway 238.

I have owned a 914 for 40 years, but this was my (and my wife's) first West Coast Rally. We really enjoyed meeting the attendees, and it is nice to put a face to a lot of the people I see out on 914World. Great bunch of 914 fanatics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

So, lesson learned. Next year, if I attend, the car stays on the trailer!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Or maybe I will get the car running like a champ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Or maybe I will let my wife do the driving! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Until then, happy teening!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i921.photobucket.com-7636-1463871130.1.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:24 AM