Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official COTM Poll July/Aug, POLL CLOSED: Congrats wndsnd!
COTM July/Aug
COTM July/Aug
wndsnd [ 45 ] ** [35.71%]
Reverend Troublemaker [ 18 ] ** [14.29%]
tomeric914 [ 30 ] ** [23.81%]
PanelBilly [ 33 ] ** [26.19%]
Total Votes: 126
Guests cannot vote 
Andyrew
post May 22 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

CONGRATS wndsnd!

POLL CLOSED!!

Each contestant will be encouraged to post one picture as well as a description of your car. I will put that in the top post for the members to vote. If no information or picture is provided I will put their name and find a picture of their car.

Each contestant is then encouraged to post as much as they want within this thread to support their car, or they may link to their own threads.

Voters... Remember this is not a popularity contest, this is about which car is your favorite build, which means the most to you, which you find the most impressive, which you simply like the most.

The winner will then be required to provide 3 pictures of their car that will be used on the home page and a 25 word description of their car, and their car will be on display on the home page until the next car is appointed! This is due by one week after poll closes to avoid delays and allow Andy enough time to edit the home page for the next month.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 22 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

wndsnd
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-14124-1463967945.jpeg)

Reverend Troublemakers
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1315.photobucket.com-15718-1463840456.1.jpg)

Tomeric914
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-13308-1463948747.jpg)

PanelBilly
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-129-1463957267.jpg)

+Quote Post
steuspeed
post May 23 2016, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Although the 3 contenders are all nicer cars, One Lap of America contestant deserves this COTM hands down IMHO.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post May 23 2016, 07:18 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Wow. What an amazing group of cars - all 914 sixes too! I am really impressed with each of the cars - the ideas implemented into each build was really impressive. Whoever is selected - a sincere congratulations to you!

I did build mine to drive and drive it does, and quickly. I did most, but not all, of the work on the car. Whether on the open-road or at the track...I will continue to represent the 914 in a positive light.

Cheers.

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nBg507dlcs
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 23 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

They are all outstanding this round. I hope to see 3 of them (all) nominated again.
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post May 23 2016, 12:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,630
Region Association: Southern California

removed.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 23 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #7

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

These are all wonderful cars and I would like to own everyone of them, but only one has my blood and sweat in it.

It comes with a couple of funny stories I will share.

When I answered the Craigslist ad, the car was 4 hours away. I talked to the son of the man who had owned it and had passed away. The car was in storage in his garage.

I purchased the car sight unseen, and sent a flatbed up to pick it up. I met the driver of the truck there and they opened the door.

This is the rusty bucket I found.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

As it made its way down the highway on the trip home, parts were falling off the car into the road. Not good.

Story 2 -

As I looked for a running 1.7, I found one while on a business trip to PA. I paid the man and it was to be delivered. Never happened. I will not post the links, but the engine we first installed was the infamous dANNY engine. Search is your friend! Your vote is earned right here!

I have met many good friends through 914 World, and many have helped me restore this car.

I called Al (Gandalf_025) one night and said "What are you doing tomorrow? Want to take a drive to PA with me and get an engine? It might involve violence."

"Why not." He said. Never mind it was about a 12 hour round trip run.

I restored this car over two years as therapy from health issues. I am not sure it helped me physically inhaling all the chemicals I used, but it gave me something to obsess over.

I lost my dog and my wife. The dog turns up at night, and I think he has been under the car bench all day, while I work on my projects. I find grease and oil on his head at night when I pat him.

My wife is another matter.

When I finish the conversion, I will have to take a look around for her. The oil and grease did not work for her.

Here are a couple of shots from Hershey 2014.

Bling by Zach.

Attached Image

and the parking lot picture posted above.

A vote for this car is a vote for the 914 World Members from the Northeast that have helped me on the way.

Back to the first day,

We had to drag the car out of the garage with the winch from the tow truck. All the wheels on the car had siezed. I found out later, that when I first posted that I was buying the car, Rich Towle had checked around looking for wheels and tires for me. I knew they were flat, I didn't know they were siezed. He did not know me, he just offered help.

Al comes by regularly to help me when he knows I am about to attempt something by myself that I should not be doing. Usually bringing parts that he knows I could use, after I do something stupid.

Steve (74Ravena) stops by offering encouragement and support. He is now the owner of the 1.7 that I have enjoyed for years.

When I bought a set of wheels "Fits 914" and they did not. Scott (Scott_in_NH) came by with his 2.0, and offered his wheels for fitment. We jacked up his car in the driveway and took them right off his car. He had bigger tires, and his wheels fit perfectly. This is how I learned my lesson about offset.

Mark (mksala) has an original 914-6 in Adriatic Blue and he lives in a town a few miles away. One night when I was traveling I got a call from my frantic wife. A friend had seen my car running around town. She thought someone had broke into the garage and was taking the car for joy rides. She felt unsafe, she felt violated. Later we figured it out.
Mark patiently tried to teach me autox techniques. He is fast. Very fast. I am not. Mark sends me notes now and then offering up parts and advice.

Eric (partsman) invited us to parade at the local Santa's Parade. We bump into him at shows and at Limerock Park. These little cars like to be driven!

And, I can not forget the gang that shows up at the Tangerine Open House and Rally, Hopefully we will bump into one another over the summer.

So, I respecfully ask for your vote, for the Northeast Group and the Canadian mooks I goof around with on CLUBNARP, Drive on!

+Quote Post
Cracker
post May 23 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

John (Wndsnd),

I am truly impressed and sorry to hear of your enormous loss...PEACE to you and congratulations on your build Sir!

Tony/Reverend Troublemaker

**Others**
Should anyone even think of voting for my car in the coming days - I ask you kindly "transfer" that vote to John (Wndsnd) instead. Thank you.

+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 23 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #9

Tony,

Race on!

I can not imagine what it is like to drive a car like yours. You have an impressive vision and I respect what you have done with it. Your car has a WOW factor that is unrivaled.

Stomp those GT 3's!

+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 23 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #10

P.S.

Wife and dog are in the kitchen. Don't fall for that. I am just looking for votes!

Friend stories are real..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 23 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(steuspeed @ May 23 2016, 02:24 AM) *

Although the 3 contenders are all nicer cars, One Lap of America contestant deserves this COTM hands down IMHO.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) way to represent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 23 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

I voted for tomeric914 for sheer guts and glory on their race effort and cool pics.....driving in the rain et all.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post May 23 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

LMAO!!! Oh well...reading on an iphone didn't help! Sounded good...glad to hear the family is alive and well! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tony

QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 23 2016, 09:12 PM) *

P.S.

Wife and dog are in the kitchen. Don't fall for that. I am just looking for votes!

Friend stories are real..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 23 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Attached Image

Over the top? You bet! My vision for this car was to make it the best I could imagine. While it might not be the right 914 for everyone, my only goal was to do the best work I was capable of doing.

Attached Image

From the beginning, I jumped into rebuilding the car that had been my daily driver until it was too worn and rusty to perform that task. A total tear down was the only way to do it justice.

Attached Image

I enrolled in autobody at the local community college and developed the skills needed to do fix the rust and add the flairs.

Attached Image

I've been teased about my painting adventures, but if seen the final finish on the car, you can attest to perfection of my effort. If seeing isn't believing, then you need to slide your hand over the finish with a thin cotton cloth and feel for any imperfections, because that's what I did to test my wet sanding.

Attached Image

I had a friend who does commercial upholstry do the seats in a supple leather and use memory foam to keep it comfy. Mark (914Rubber) helped me out with new skins on everything from the dash to the trim around the sail panels. The old gauges are destine to be upgraded with a set of Tim's custom units, thanks to the set I got at this years WCR auction.

Attached Image

The engine is a 3.0 that was totally rebuilt. The pistons were made to spec as well as the grind on the cams. The carbs are new PMOs and the exhaust is a product of Triad. I'm still working on oil leaks but I'm close to calling it finished. All the gears were changed on the tranny to allow me to make use of all five of them. Its fun to have a first that I can use and the result of the rations gives me a fifth that makes for high speed cruising. I wanted a drive train that matched the technology of the age when the car was made.

Attached Image

Its not done yet, but it makes me smile, just the same!

+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 24 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #15

Super nice car Billy.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 24 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I have to give my vote to the Tomeric One Lap car. What an effort to do One Lap in a no creature comfort 40 year old car and the car is beautiful to boot! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 24 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #17

Attached Image

Out at Devans, I like this shot.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 24 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 23 2016, 07:25 PM) *

John (Wndsnd),

I am truly impressed and sorry to hear of your enormous loss...PEACE to you and congratulations on your build Sir!

**Others**
Should anyone even think of voting for my car in the coming days - I ask you kindly "transfer" that vote to John (Wndsnd) instead. Thank you.

Sorry, already voted for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
1stworks
post May 24 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,718
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 24 2016, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 23 2016, 07:25 PM) *

John (Wndsnd),

**Others**

Sorry, already voted for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 25 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #20

Finished the engine today, ready to go in this weekend.

Waiting on one car part and then a call to Gandalf....

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:46 AM