Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster Engine swaps, Good luck
Brett W
post Apr 3 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

I spent several hours today talking with the instructor for all Porsche factory technicians in the US. Bob is also a Porsche Master Tech. Anyway. He had a new 997 at the track this weekend and also had the Porsche Diagnostic computer with him. Seems as though he was trouble shooting the car. (Some problem with the Navigational system.) SO he gave me the rundown on the computer and engine management system that the 987 and 997 use.

It seems as though the computers are engine and car specific. The computer has to recognize the car, instrument cluster and such in order to work. First I ask about swapping the engine from 997 (3.8) he said it would not be feasable using all factory parts. The ECU would not work. You might be able to run the engine with a standalone but you couldn't run the cluster and all the other stuff.

The amount of things that the ECU and such runs and references is vast. The drive by wire system is redudant and will be very hard to work around. The PSM and ABS units and the ECU talk and reference each other so trying to seperate them will be very hard.

I ask what my options were if I bought a Boxster and the answer was "you better be satisfied with that 285HP".

We better find another option.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 3 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that. Now there's a real challange for you mega squirt guy's.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 3 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #3

neo life

Member No.: 159

I have no doubt Jason, a Nasa engineer living in the land of engineers will solve this... He has the complete ECU, wiring, and instrument cluster from the donor Boxster.

Sonu uses the Audi ECU and instrument cluster in his 1.8T swap (he did avoid the throttle by wire version). He found most of the emissions, rear doors, airbags, etc. wires weren't needed anyway.

You would have to think creatively out of the Porsche box to do this project... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

BTW, how's your Lexus conversion?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Apr 3 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #4

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

heres a question for thought.

why could you not take a ecu and harness from another car or model year and retro fit it. either something from a dohc v6 or an older 911 6 cylinder. it would not be that hard as long as you stayed in the same displacement and hp range, the ecu shoud be able to adjust to minor variations in ve and stuff. you probably coudl even fool the ecu a little with larger injectors
+Quote Post
Series9
post Apr 3 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #5

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

There are so many incredible air-cooled sixes (up to and beyond 600hp) that will fit easily, without the problems of adding water cooling, that I am unconcerned with the difficulties potentially associated with fitting a 987 engine to a 914.
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Apr 4 2005, 05:02 AM
Post #6

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi
Revercing the ecm is not imposuble.
A couple active friends in europe con take car of the immo, its the other options on the can bus, other modules that need to be ignored, and the communication factor can't be ingnored.
It can be done, but like the other guys said and as you have confirmed, its just easier and cheaper for something else, with less hassles. The Honda boys have been retro fitting the older non OBD2 Ecms, for this reason.
Thanx for the info
Regards
Joe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Apr 4 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

The Honda computer doesn't have near a complex architecture as the Porsche ECU. I hacked my Honda ECU. It is chipped so I can change all of the internal paramemeters. The Porsche ECU is much more complicated as so much is interconnected.

I wasn't necessarily talking about putting watercooled in a 914. I was referring to upgrading the boxster motor. The Cayenne motor looks like a potential swap for us though. Maybe a swap into a 928 as well.

Remember Porsche works very hard to maximize there computer controls. Everything on their ECUs has redundancy and overlap that you don't see on many other vehicles. I am not saying it can't be done, but it will take lots of work to get it right.
+Quote Post
physician
post Apr 4 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #8

still looking for a teener....

Member No.: 1,819

the fact that it need the cluster to work is not hard, where it is harder to me, is when you said it need to recognise the psm and abs unit..... yeah you can swap those but way to much work..... maybe you can put a computer and and cable throttle from an early boxster or 996? they are similar car and engine.....
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 4 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Pretty sure Porsche did it on purpose to lessen the value on stolen engines....or just to piss off 914 owners.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 4 2005, 08:58 AM
Post #10

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I think it will devalue the cars as they get older (996 and986).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:17 PM