Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travel advice needed for road trip to CFR! car finally getting rust repair!, going past DC, Baltimore, NYC to CT(tangerine racing)
injunmort
post May 24 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

or for some scenic backroad twisties, take i87 to route 6 east to bear mountain, bear mountain bridge to 9w east. then taconic pkwy north to i 84.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 24 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #22

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(injunmort @ May 24 2016, 11:36 AM) *

if you are coming up 287/garden state, just continue up i 87 to newburg and get on i84. newburg/beacon bridge does not have the congestion the tappan zee does. a friday afternoon crossing of the taipan zee can be very onerous.

i was looking at that as an option too, if i don't make my timeframe of being at that location by 8 or 9 in themorning, then i will probably go up to 84 on that parkway, looks like a nice drive
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 24 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #23

Dr. Phil

right now my tentative route:

Beginning at Bluffton, SC:
-I95 to DC Getting off and going up to
Hershey/harrisburg, catching 78 there, taking 78 to 287 ,
287 outside NYC around and up north to 87,
87 to 84 and across: OR
87 to 6
or Pallisaides parkway up to 6 and cross over on 6
then on to Harford
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 24 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #24

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I always go up to I-84 rather than following I-95 to I-91 in Connecticut.
Although if you do come into CT on I-95 you can get onto the Merritt Parkway and avoid the snarls of I-95 along the coastline.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 25 2016, 06:48 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

if I hit the 287 at the south west corner just coming in on 95, it should be early enough in the morning, @4-5am, so I am hoping that will be early enough to avoid the beginning traffic rush,
at that point 287,ogolden state parkway up to 87, to 6, and that that 6 route to Bear Mountain, should be about breakfast time , find somewhere to stop, but then take the 6 across to Brewster, catch I84 there and then up to Manchester.

that sounds like the plan right now anyway.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 25 2016, 07:07 AM
Post #26

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 25 2016, 08:48 AM) *

Bear Mountain, should be about breakfast time , find somewhere to stop.

At Bear Mountain you're about 10 to 15 minutes from West Point (Highland Falls) and a pretty cool military museum. I know it's not a sightseeing trip per se, but just in case you were looking for time to kill. The Bear Mountain area and the Hudson "highlands" in general are also very pretty (spectacular in the fall). And if you REALLY wanted to see some cool views, take 9W from there up over "Storm King" mountain to Newburgh and get on I-84 there. From scenic overlooks on 9W you can see almost all of West Point and practically all the way down the Hudson.

That would be a really fun drive in a teener (there's some twisties on that road).

EDIT: Actually you'd get off of 9W and take 218 up over the mountain. That's the one that has the best views (and twists and turns for a teener).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post May 25 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #27

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387

That would be 287 to the Palisades Parkway to Bear Mountain. When you get across the Bear Mtn Bridge, make a left going north. When you reach Rt 301 stop on the corner of for breakfast, then head north to I84 east into Ct. Or, take I84 east to Rt22 north and stop at the Red Rooster for some GREAT ice cream. Continue North to "Big W" for BBQ lunch. Once you're in the Westchester / Putnam area, you can hit me up for where to eat or how to get there. You won't go hungry and you won't get lost.

+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post May 25 2016, 08:02 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ May 25 2016, 09:46 AM) *

That would be 287 to the Palisades Parkway to Bear Mountain. When you get across the Bear Mtn Bridge, make a left going north. When you reach Rt 301 stop on the corner of for breakfast, then head north to I84 east into Ct. Or, take I84 east to Rt22 north and stop at the Red Rooster for some GREAT ice cream. Continue North to "Big W" for BBQ lunch. Once you're in the Westchester / Putnam area, you can hit me up for where to eat or how to get there. You won't go hungry and you won't get lost.

Check that... After breakfast go 301 to 9N to I84. Or 301 to end then Rt on 6 continue 1/2 mile and continue LEFT on 6 to Brewster.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 25 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ May 25 2016, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ May 25 2016, 09:46 AM) *

Check that... After breakfast go 301 to 9N to I84. Or 301 to end then Rt on 6 continue 1/2 mile and continue LEFT on 6 to Brewster.

cool, is that the 9D ? so intersection of 9D and 301? do you know the exact address of the RED ROOSTER? which road it is on,
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 25 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #30

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Is the car there yet?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 25 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #31

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Is the car there yet?

nope-- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) driving it there , leaving it and flying home, coming back to get it once its done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post May 25 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #32

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

If you're anywhere near the 684/84 interchange, the RedRooster is only a couple miles north of 84 on Rte 22.

You might need some ice cream right about now, looks like the summer switch got turned on today... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post May 25 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(Porschef @ May 25 2016, 12:04 PM) *

If you're anywhere near the 684/84 interchange, the RedRooster is only a couple miles north of 84 on Rte 22.

You might need some ice cream right about now, looks like the summer switch got turned on today... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Yes, The Red Rooster is on Rt 22 on the right. If you're adventurous, you can continue up 22 and weave your way thru Ct to get to Chris. Some nice country roads.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 25 2016, 10:49 AM
Post #34

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Porschef @ May 25 2016, 12:04 PM) *

wild! as of right now you are 2 degrees warmer than here in SC!!
difference is you have it cooler at night
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 25 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

I tow to Virginia Int'l Raceway and Road Atlanta from central (Middletown) CT. You have two choices:

- Make it a trip, a tour, and stop at places along the East Coast to enjoy such as Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles, Washington DC in general (a great place to spend time), Baltimore, and other historical sites up the coast. But make sure time is not a concern.

Pros: nice fun things to stop and see.
Cons: you're going to hate yourself for driving that route.

- "I need to get there with the least amount of hassle, time, and expense":

Take your fav route to Charlotte, then I-77 north to I-81 all the way to Wilkes-Barre Scranton PA, then I-84 East through CT. I-84 will take you to exit 60 where you'll use Google to find Chris' shop.

Pros: you'll get there within reasonable time, minimal traffic, and no tolls except for $1.50 crossing the Newburgh Bridge eastbound.
Cons: you'll get there faster than you may want, with less hassle than expected, and at less expenses for tolls. It is a typical boring Interstate drive all the way.

Alternatively, because CT traffic on I-84 totally sucks ass on a weekday: after crossing the Hudson at Newburgh, you'll take the Taconic State Parkway north and then Rt 44 east to drive by Lime Rock Park and check it out - because, after all, a diversion like that to see Lime Rock Park is way better than being stuck in Danbury and Waterbury stop-and-go and getting there at the same time - and then continue on 44 through Hartford to I-84 and prior-said exit 60.

And if you're driving through this weekend, World Challenge is at Lime Rock Friday and Saturday. Had I noticed this earlier, I could have encouraged you to sign up for tomorrow's Track Night in America TrackPass and you could have even driven LRP for the afternoon for $195:

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/...ime-rock-may-26

(I'm running the show. If you're in the area, let me know I'm sure we can get you in.)

I would personally never, ever, ever, EVER drive through NYC and/or down/up the I-95 corridor if I had any semblance of a schedule or goal time to arrive. I don't do it with my car, let alone pulling a trailer. And if I did decide to do that, after I sobered up and stuck a fork in my eye to bludgeon the pain, I'd ensure I kept a lot of money on hand for tolls.

Just my 2 cents.

- GA
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post May 25 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 25 2016, 02:21 PM) *

I tow to Virginia Int'l Raceway and Road Atlanta from central (Middletown) CT. You have two choices:

- Make it a trip, a tour, and stop at places along the East Coast to enjoy such as Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles, Washington DC in general (a great place to spend time), Baltimore, and other historical sites up the coast. But make sure time is not a concern.

Pros: nice fun things to stop and see.
Cons: you're going to hate yourself for driving that route.

- "I need to get there with the least amount of hassle, time, and expense":

Take your fav route to Charlotte, then I-77 north to I-81 all the way to Wilkes-Barre Scranton PA, then I-84 East through CT. I-84 will take you to exit 60 where you'll use Google to find Chris' shop.

Pros: you'll get there within reasonable time, minimal traffic, and no tolls except for $1.50 crossing the Newburgh Bridge eastbound.
Cons: you'll get there faster than you may want, with less hassle than expected, and at less expenses for tolls. It is a typical boring Interstate drive all the way.

Alternatively, because CT traffic on I-84 totally sucks ass on a weekday: after crossing the Hudson at Newburgh, you'll take the Taconic State Parkway north and then Rt 44 east to drive by Lime Rock Park and check it out - because, after all, a diversion like that to see Lime Rock Park is way better than being stuck in Danbury and Waterbury stop-and-go and getting there at the same time - and then continue on 44 through Hartford to I-84 and prior-said exit 60.

And if you're driving through this weekend, World Challenge is at Lime Rock Friday and Saturday. Had I noticed this earlier, I could have encouraged you to sign up for tomorrow's Track Night in America TrackPass and you could have even driven LRP for the afternoon for $195:

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/...ime-rock-may-26

(I'm running the show. If you're in the area, let me know I'm sure we can get you in.)

I would personally never, ever, ever, EVER drive through NYC and/or down/up the I-95 corridor if I had any semblance of a schedule or goal time to arrive. I don't do it with my car, let alone pulling a trailer. And if I did decide to do that, after I sobered up and stuck a fork in my eye to bludgeon the pain, I'd ensure I kept a lot of money on hand for tolls.

Just my 2 cents.

- GA

If you go Taconic Pkwy, and you find yourself there in the evening, try Charolette's for dinner (just outside of Millbrook and on the way). I don't know about you, but I like to know where's good to eat along the way.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 25 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #37

Custom Member

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 25 2016, 11:58 AM) *

Is the car there yet?

nope-- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) driving it there , leaving it and flying home, coming back to get it once its done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When are you leaving so we can end this?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 25 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #38

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Is the car there yet?

That time of the month towle?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 25 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #39

Custom Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2016, 04:41 PM) *

Is the car there yet?

That time of the month towle?

Time of life.....
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 25 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #40

Dr. Phil

Is the car there yet?

Seriously? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I appreciate the info from the locals
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:35 AM