Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travel advice needed for road trip to CFR! car finally getting rust repair!, going past DC, Baltimore, NYC to CT(tangerine racing)
r_towle
post May 25 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #41

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 25 2016, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 25 2016, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Is the car there yet?

nope-- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) driving it there , leaving it and flying home, coming back to get it once its done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When are you leaving so we can end this?

Seriously? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I appreciate the info from the locals

Sorry,

Never mind me, having a shitty month.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 25 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #42

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 25 2016, 02:21 PM) *

I tow to Virginia Int'l Raceway and Road Atlanta from central (Middletown) CT. You have two choices:

- Make it a trip, a tour, and stop at places along the East Coast to enjoy such as Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles, Washington DC in general (a great place to spend time), Baltimore, and other historical sites up the coast. But make sure time is not a concern.

Pros: nice fun things to stop and see.
Cons: you're going to hate yourself for driving that route.

- "I need to get there with the least amount of hassle, time, and expense":

Take your fav route to Charlotte, then I-77 north to I-81 all the way to Wilkes-Barre Scranton PA, then I-84 East through CT. I-84 will take you to exit 60 where you'll use Google to find Chris' shop.

Pros: you'll get there within reasonable time, minimal traffic, and no tolls except for $1.50 crossing the Newburgh Bridge eastbound.
Cons: you'll get there faster than you may want, with less hassle than expected, and at less expenses for tolls. It is a typical boring Interstate drive all the way.

Alternatively, because CT traffic on I-84 totally sucks ass on a weekday: after crossing the Hudson at Newburgh, you'll take the Taconic State Parkway north and then Rt 44 east to drive by Lime Rock Park and check it out - because, after all, a diversion like that to see Lime Rock Park is way better than being stuck in Danbury and Waterbury stop-and-go and getting there at the same time - and then continue on 44 through Hartford to I-84 and prior-said exit 60.

And if you're driving through this weekend, World Challenge is at Lime Rock Friday and Saturday. Had I noticed this earlier, I could have encouraged you to sign up for tomorrow's Track Night in America TrackPass and you could have even driven LRP for the afternoon for $195:

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/...ime-rock-may-26

(I'm running the show. If you're in the area, let me know I'm sure we can get you in.)

I would personally never, ever, ever, EVER drive through NYC and/or down/up the I-95 corridor if I had any semblance of a schedule or goal time to arrive. I don't do it with my car, let alone pulling a trailer. And if I did decide to do that, after I sobered up and stuck a fork in my eye to bludgeon the pain, I'd ensure I kept a lot of money on hand for tolls.

Just my 2 cents.

- GA

Lime Rock Hell Yes. Interlaken Inn.
Going through Scranton Adds some time, and the stretch to Scranton then to Pt,Jervis is desolute at best.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 25 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 25 2016, 02:21 PM) *

I tow to Virginia Int'l Raceway and Road Atlanta from central (Middletown) CT. You have two choices:

- Make it a trip, a tour, and stop at places along the East Coast to enjoy such as Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles, Washington DC in general (a great place to spend time), Baltimore, and other historical sites up the coast. But make sure time is not a concern.

Pros: nice fun things to stop and see.
Cons: you're going to hate yourself for driving that route.

- "I need to get there with the least amount of hassle, time, and expense":

Take your fav route to Charlotte, then I-77 north to I-81 all the way to Wilkes-Barre Scranton PA, then I-84 East through CT. I-84 will take you to exit 60 where you'll use Google to find Chris' shop.

Pros: you'll get there within reasonable time, minimal traffic, and no tolls except for $1.50 crossing the Newburgh Bridge eastbound.
Cons: you'll get there faster than you may want, with less hassle than expected, and at less expenses for tolls. It is a typical boring Interstate drive all the way.

Alternatively, because CT traffic on I-84 totally sucks ass on a weekday: after crossing the Hudson at Newburgh, you'll take the Taconic State Parkway north and then Rt 44 east to drive by Lime Rock Park and check it out - because, after all, a diversion like that to see Lime Rock Park is way better than being stuck in Danbury and Waterbury stop-and-go and getting there at the same time - and then continue on 44 through Hartford to I-84 and prior-said exit 60.

And if you're driving through this weekend, World Challenge is at Lime Rock Friday and Saturday. Had I noticed this earlier, I could have encouraged you to sign up for tomorrow's Track Night in America TrackPass and you could have even driven LRP for the afternoon for $195:

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/...ime-rock-may-26

(I'm running the show. If you're in the area, let me know I'm sure we can get you in.)

I would personally never, ever, ever, EVER drive through NYC and/or down/up the I-95 corridor if I had any semblance of a schedule or goal time to arrive. I don't do it with my car, let alone pulling a trailer. And if I did decide to do that, after I sobered up and stuck a fork in my eye to bludgeon the pain, I'd ensure I kept a lot of money on hand for tolls.

Just my 2 cents.

- GA

I did it 2x last month. GW bridge was $84 with a trailer. Yes I was stupid. Yes I will probably forget and do it again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

But if you get the chance to drive through DC at 4-5am it looks great and traffic is almost non-existent.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rmital
post May 26 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #44

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 25 2016, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 25 2016, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Is the car there yet?

nope-- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) driving it there , leaving it and flying home, coming back to get it once its done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When are you leaving so we can end this?

Seriously? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I appreciate the info from the locals

Sorry,

Never mind me, having a shitty month.

...somebody needs a hug... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post May 26 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #45

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Phil's on his way. Should be somewhere in NC at this point....
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 26 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #46

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

Just stopped for gas in Virginia, my 400 mile point, so not quite half way. Traffic is light, and it's cooled down, these newly recovered seats are not very soft on the rear- liked my 993 seats better....
Anyway no interesting pictures to post but maybe I can get some night shots as I pass thru DC in a few hours ..
I have had a lot of people gawking at the car- at one point I'm just focused on the road ahead and I look to my left and a guy is taking a picture of the car as we are flying down the interstate at 75 mph- .......
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 26 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

take care Phil and have a nice, safe and trouble free journey! God bless!
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 26 2016, 10:36 PM
Post #48

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

Drive safe Phil,

Watch those BFT's
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 27 2016, 02:06 AM
Post #49

Dr. Phil

Thanks guys . It's 4sm hit 650 miles, and I'm finally through Baltimore my GPS I have three hours to bear mountain so far lite traffic fairly close to schedule
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 27 2016, 06:25 AM
Post #50

Dr. Phil

Just crossing over into Connecticut from NY, nice overlook of the hudson

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post May 27 2016, 06:45 AM
Post #51

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Nice! You should just stay in the area for a few weeks. Porsche Parade is in Vermont this year.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 27 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #52

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 27 2016, 08:45 AM) *

Nice! You should just stay in the area for a few weeks. Porsche Parade is in Vermont this year.

I don't have that much vacation, but that would be fun! . I'd have to bum a teenerfest or something similar off of someone while mine is undergoing surgery.
I'm at 898 miles and about an hour or so from CFR/Tangerine. Going on 1/2 hour sleep, time for a break then completing the trip. Perfect driving weather. The local 914 guys need th have a gathering in this area here!
+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 27 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #53

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 27 2016, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 27 2016, 08:45 AM) *

I don't have that much vacation, but that would be fun! . I'd have to bum a teenerfest or something similar off of someone while mine is undergoing surgery.
I'm at 898 miles and about an hour or so from CFR/Tangerine. Going on 1/2 hour sleep, time for a break then completing the trip. Perfect driving weather. The local 914 guys need th have a gathering in this area here!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Lime rock is a spiritual place. Fridays for group practices, no crowds, just the cars, a great burger...
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 27 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #54

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

In good company for the holiday weekend.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 27 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #55

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Glad you made it north before the heat came out to play.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 27 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #56

Dr. Phil

Wanted to thank chris for the hospitality. It's been a long day. I left home at 5pm yesterday, got to CFR shop at noon today! Had some fun driving back roads along the Hudson, went over to Brewster for a burger and ice cream at the Red a Rooster.
Pulled out some stuff from the car, seats rugs back pad etc to help get a jump start on the work. Once they get started we will post pictures of the work on my challenge thread! Beautiful weather and scenery too, can't wai come back---to get my car that is!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 27 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #57

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Good luck.

CHris,
What is the cool car in front of the yellow 914?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 27 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #58

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2016, 09:51 PM) *

Good luck.

CHris,
What is the cool car in front of the yellow 914?

Landlord's AH 3000.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 27 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #59

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Glad you made it safely! And that you were able to stop at the rooster. My favorite weekend destination...I live about 30 mins away. Stop by on your way back!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 28 2016, 08:06 AM
Post #60

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 27 2016, 11:11 PM) *

Glad you made it safely! And that you were able to stop at the rooster. My favorite weekend destination...I live about 30 mins away. Stop by on your way back!

Will do.
Basically car is getting rear floor pan under drivers seat fixed, with rear jack points and longs, along with the rear fender lips fixed and stretched out to fit the wider 16x7" Fuchs on there. When he's done with all that I'll come get it (also assessing engine for a upper end refresh and maybe a bit of a boost- if all that works out I'll be flying up to drive it back home in a month or two.

By the way I saw some of the cars there getting worked on- some nice stuff!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:47 AM