Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1971 914-4 Frankenstein Update It's alive
mikesjunk
post May 23 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,423
Region Association: None

Ok so got a few more things done. It runs, drives, shifts, stops, so far. I did a few laps around the neighborhood and racked up a couple of miles.

Shifting seem to take some getting used to as I seem to find 1st to 4th pretty well. Even with bushings front to back it still seems sloppy.

The idle when warmed up isn't the greatest so back to basics to make sure all is well. I'm sure no one has adjusted the valves so that is next on the list to make sure all is well.

Here's a shot from getting it out this weekend. Needs cleaned but that's a ways down the todo list. I did put it on some ramps and give the underside of the engine a good wash down. There's a small oil leak that I'll be looking for. Seems to be dripping from the front center of the pan.

Then I have a question. Are these wheels original type wheels? Anyone have a photos of what the caps may look like. I'm guessing they have a Porsche logo and were stolen over the years of various garages this has spent time in....along with the hood emblem.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464050257.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464050257.2.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 23 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Good chance cheapish Empi wheels, can still be bought brand new in the $90 per wheel range. Usually only 5.5" wide and not optimal offset for a 914.

Hood emblem was an option installed by the dealer (or not installed)

Car looks decent with the targa bar cut off.

+Quote Post
Frankvw
post May 24 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #3

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

These wheels look like the empi-8, seen a lot on beetles younger than 1967. Not expensive, commonly available from different manufacturers like Empi or American Eagle. I have never seen them with Porsche caps, but hey...a sticker is always possible :-)
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post May 24 2016, 05:14 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,140

Cool looking car! Can you post more pics showing more detail? Thanks
+Quote Post
mikesjunk
post May 24 2016, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Ok so not optimal offset, well that explains the closeness to the fender. The inner lip has been rolled by PO and it's pretty close. So it sound like no need looking for Porsche caps as these aren't original. So I just need to find some but now I have an idea what to look for.

This car did have a hood emblem at one time as the original pic from the sale ad when my sister bought it back in the day has it on the car and also the two holes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'll try to get some more pics this weekend. Maybe give it a quick bath. The Targa removal wasn't what I'd call done in the best manner. I would of done some things a little different. I'll note in any new pictures. It does have a top mechanism but I've yet to even think about looking that over yet.

This car was originally gold. They didn't do too bad of a job with the repaint but for those looking hard it can be seen. There's some minor body issues/scratches and of course being an unknown silver this would probably be tough to match. So any body fixes would likely need a whole respray....which then would allow fixing where they cut the targa off. But likely not on the todo list.

My task from my sister was can you get it running. So that's accomplished. Seems each time I scratch something off the list I add two more. Being a car guy I can't just stop with getting it running there's that voice that says fix this, fix that, make it right...... She's always entertained with my update emails.
+Quote Post
mikesjunk
post May 28 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #6

Ok, got it out today for a quick spin. And took some more photos.

On the oil leak its dripping from the center and at the front next to the crossmember/mount. Best view I can get above is I see oil up next to where the filter mount bolts to the engine. It's more to the center from the mount so I don't think it's the mounting gasket. So what's up there than can leak oil?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464476465.1.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464476466.2.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464476466.3.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464476466.4.JPG)

This is an area I would of welded in a cap to this. There is a cover that goes over this so when it's snapped on you don't see this. (see snaps on side)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464476466.5.JPG)

Not sure what would make this better. But you can see some original gold peaking out.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464476467.6.JPG)

It's back on the jackstands cooling off for a valve adjustment. Probably work on that in the morning. Then start looking at other things to help the warm idle.

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 28 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I always thought it looked good without the targa bar but ain't it a little noisy without the rear window? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mikesjunk
post May 28 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #8

As this is my sister's and I've never driven on with the targa can't really comment on the noise level. I'll say for a 4 cylinder it's pretty throaty. My world was a V8 Mustangs with flowmasters so this seems quite. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1464489424.1.JPG)
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post May 28 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,670

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 28 2016, 07:05 PM) *

I always thought it looked good without the targa bar but ain't it a little noisy without the rear window? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Besides the noise issue, I believe removing the targa roll bar and window diminishes the cars ability to cool itself. The roll bar and rear window create a area of low pressure directing fresh air into the engine compartment .
+Quote Post
mikesjunk
post May 29 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Ok, valves are now adjusted. Only one measured .006. Two had clearance but less than .006 and the rest had no clearance. Fun with POs and mechanics not knowing how to work on things. So got it back together and of course the drivers side valve cover leaks. So I have it off with a bit of silicone to hold the gasket in place drying now.

Also changed the oil/filter and cleaned the screen. Lots of sludge in this. The oil was thin and smelled a bit gassy. So something else to keep an eye on. Plus I cleaned up the front of the engine when I had the oil filter off to see if I can see where the oil leak might be from.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:33 PM