Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to verify crankcase oil level on a /6?
worn
post May 24 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #21

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 23 2016, 06:52 PM) *

I also posted this on pp however I usually get better responses here.

I recently rebuilt my 2.7l. I have the engine on a test stand. The oil tank is mounted at approximately the same level as it would be in the car. I am questioning the actual oil level in my crankcase.

I put 12qts in the tank. I cranked the engine without ignition to get the oil pressure up. The dipstick doesn't show any oil so I put a couple more quarts in and it still doesn't show on the dipstick. I suspect there is actually too much oil because I can see a little bit of standing oil in the cylinders with a scope. It is not oil from assembly cause it was a different color.

I am using a used 911 oil tank from an unknown engine.

Normally I would just wonder if my dipstick was just not correct however since the setup is on a test stand, I wonder if something else is going on and I would like to verify the oil level in the case before starting the engine. How can I do that?

With my 911 the first start of the year was always smoky. The oil seeps out of the tank and into the sump. It is really only a dry sump if the scavenge pump is running. You can get some check valves, but I would rather not. At any rate once the thing is running the scavenge pump sends any extra oil into the tank, the fire in the cylinders burns off what was past the rings and you get a nice level in the tank at idle.

At least that is how I understand it. Since I fabled the tank and use a 911 dipstick, I am not as precise as I would want. I can find oil on my dipstick before starting but it comes up farther once running.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 24 2016, 10:37 AM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(McMark @ May 24 2016, 10:30 AM) *

I'm not sure this was posted clearly.

You check a 911 engine while it's running.
The engine must be running while you're checking the oil.
You cannot check the oil with the engine off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 24 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #23

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(McMark @ May 24 2016, 10:30 AM) *

I'm not sure this was posted clearly.

You check a 911 engine while it's running.
The engine must be running while you're checking the oil.
You cannot check the oil with the engine off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
I agree too! but you dont wanna start it with out the proper amount or real close and flow
so whos gonna ask him how long his dip stick is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ...
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 24 2016, 02:09 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(6freak @ May 25 2016, 01:03 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 05:55 AM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 23 2016, 07:52 PM) *

I recently rebuilt my 2.7l. I have the engine on a test stand. The oil tank is mounted at approximately the same level as it would be in the car. I am questioning the actual oil level in my crankcase.

I put 12qts in the tank. I cranked the engine without ignition to get the oil pressure up. The dipstick doesn't show any oil so I put a couple more quarts in and it still doesn't show on the dipstick. I suspect there is actually too much oil because I can see a little bit of standing oil in the cylinders with a scope. It is not oil from assembly cause it was a different color.

Normally I would just wonder if my dipstick was just not correct however since the setup is on a test stand, I wonder if something else is going on and I would like to verify the oil level in the case before starting the engine. How can I do that?

Oil console on the tank is not right

damn triple reply off the first cell phone post .....i think its the oil console on the tank is 180 out ,,like turn it over...good luck
MikeC

On the genuine tank they only fit one way,is it different on the aftermarket ones?
+Quote Post
mskala
post May 24 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #25

R

Member No.: 79

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2016, 04:09 PM) *

On the genuine tank they only fit one way,is it different on the aftermarket ones?

Not true, the original tank and console have 3 bolts, you have a 33.3% chance of
getting it on correctly if you don't pay attention.
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 24 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #26

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2016, 01:09 PM) *

damn triple reply off the first cell phone post .....i think its the oil console on the tank is 180 out ,,like turn it over...good luck
MikeC

on original 6 tanks you can put the console on upside down.Im guessing 911s as well ,(after market i have no idea) .. and will block oil flow back to the tank and blow the seal and maybe the filter off

drain it all and start with 9qrts

just thinking outloud what if your not creating enough pressure to overcome the spring behind the detent ball, there for oils not getting back to the tank....how you building pressure?

+Quote Post
McMark
post May 24 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 01:06 PM) *

but you dont wanna start it with out the proper amount or real close
5 quarts minimum is safe. Then be smart/safe and watch the oil light when you first fire it up.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post May 24 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 01:54 PM) *

MikeC

on original 6 tanks you can put the console on upside down.Im guessing 911s as well ,(after market i have no idea) .. and will block oil flow back to the tank and blow the seal and maybe the filter off

just thinking outloud what if your not creating enough pressure to overcome the spring behind the detent ball, there for oils not getting back to the tank....how you building pressure?

Late 911 tanks (SC/Carrera) the oil filter mounting is part of the tank, not removable.

Earlier tanks use a console like the 914/6 (probably the same part)

Jim
+Quote Post
raynekat
post May 24 2016, 03:45 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

QUOTE(mskala @ May 24 2016, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Not true, the original tank and console have 3 bolts, you have a 33.3% chance of
getting it on correctly if you don't pay attention.

But only one way for the one oil flow path to line up with the tank and console.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 24 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #30

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 04:54 PM) *

MikeC

All true, and if you are really unlucky, your oil pump will jamb the gears and then the intermediate shaft will shear. Then you will have to tear it all down and start again. Ask me how I know........ Get that console on right.....

+Quote Post
tornik550
post May 24 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,486

I have a late model 911 tank that does not have a console.

I drained the tank and there was roughly 5 qts. I also drained the engine and there was a lot of oil there! After everything was drained as though I was changing the oil, I then filled the oil tank back up with about 5 qts. I plan on just running it like that and then checking the oil level when the engine is hot.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 24 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #32

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

WCR participants got to see first hand what happens when you overfill. I paid my daughter's friend to prep the car for the trip to Medford. When I returned on Sunday, I asked him, "did you check the oil?" He said, "yes, it was two quarts low." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Pretty much every time I hit the gas hard, I blew a cloud of thick oil smoke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I haven't told Carlo yet. He's kind of sensitive... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 24 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #33

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 24 2016, 07:58 PM) *

WCR participants got to see first hand what happens when you overfill. I paid my daughter's friend to prep the car for the trip to Medford. When I returned on Sunday, I asked him, "did you check the oil?" He said, "yes, it was two quarts low." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Pretty much every time I hit the gas hard, I blew a cloud of thick oil smoke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I haven't told Carlo yet. He's kind of sensitive... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Carlo needs to learn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 28 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Oh well guess I better recheck my console position,buggered if I know why?,my console is off a 75 911 and my tank is factory 914/6,it WILL NOT fit in 3 positions...the holes only allow it to go in one place as far as I remember.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:34 PM