Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear shock replacement questions, Need to replace one of them
ammason
post Apr 3 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,758
Region Association: Hawaii

Hey all,

Just spent the weekend driving my new 73 down from CAMP to SF. I've noticed tht one of the rear shocks is gone and has started intorducing a pretty nasty body roll over bumps. It will not be driven until it's fixed, but I wanted to toss the symptoms your way and see if my diagnosis is correct. I can push down the left-rear quarter and it's much softer/springier than the other side. It's also riding a good 1/2"-3/4" lower. The shocks are aftermarket Koni Oranges and my inclination is to replace the one shock that's bad. Does that sound right? Are shocks something I should replace in pairs? is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Aaron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Korijo
post Apr 3 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #2

[]D o [] o []V[] o []D

Member No.: 914

ask craig the history of them. if new enuff, replace the bad one.

old, get 2.

better yet, get yellows (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Apr 4 2005, 02:37 AM
Post #3

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Hmmm....The shocks (struts) don't really control the ride height, that's controlled by the springs on the rear. So you may want to have a look at the springs as well........like you'd have a choice replacing the strut. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Personally, I prefer to replace the struts with new ones, and in pairs. At least you know what you've got that way (more or less).
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 4 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #4

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Are you sure they are Koni's ? I pulled some Rears from my blue(silver) car and thinking they were Koni Reds but instead they were BOGE Hyd. shocks with updated heavier progressive springs. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
I Kept the springs and replaced the shocks with some Gas KYB's.
Complete spring failures are rare, but if they are OE 30yr old its possible
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 4 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

iirc, your car does not have the external adj variety koni. give the rear sway bar bushings a look, new ones are pretty cheap and easy to put in. the fronts and all the mounting bolts too. the mention that it developed this symptom on the drive leads me to think something may have loosened up. sounds like you made it home fine other than the handling. fyi the orange rears are no longer available, new, but koni can rebuild them for you the cost is about the same as new yellows. you have options other than springing for new konis right now if you don't have the dough. i have a set of kyb (fairly new)rears that will go cheap. well al blose does, but they're taking up room at my place.

k
+Quote Post
ammason
post Apr 4 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #6

It didn't develop while I was driving - I noticed it a little when I got into the car, but I'd been driving a toyota pickup and it was raining like crazy in Portland, so I was taking it slow and didn't notice it as an issue until yesterday when the sun came out and I stopped to check out why the car was rolling.

The thing that's getting me is the ride height. I'll check the springs when I pull the struts, but do they typically go bad?

I think I'd rather replace both of the rears. Anyone got any suggestions?

rhodyguy, how much are we talking for al's KYBs? Also, if I'm going to pull the struts I'd like to put 140lb springs on the back - Got any of those liying around as well?

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 4 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #7

hit the classifieds. other than shot springs/rear struts the ride height, side to side in the rear, is dictated by the front torsion bar adjusters. new car, new parts, welcome to owning a 914. i'll see what al has to say. pm being sent.

k
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Apr 4 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #8

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Shocks should not affect ride height. They do not hold the chassis up. The springs do that. You either have a broken/collapsed spring or some other issue with the trailing arm. Also, possible that one rear spring or the other is not properly seated. Sometimes, with non-stock springs (shorter) they come out of the upper cap or lower perch when the car is jacked up, and then do not seat properly when the car is lowered. Take a good look at the bottom of each spring and see if both are sitting in their perches evenly. Probably can't see the upper end very easily. You can jack up the car and check to see if either spring can be moved around when the arm/wheel fully extended.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Apr 4 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 4 2005, 05:35 PM)
Also, possible that one rear spring or the other is not properly seated. Sometimes, with non-stock springs (shorter) they come out of the upper cap or lower perch when the car is jacked up, and then do not seat properly when the car is lowered.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ammason
post Apr 4 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #10

So I found a guy with bilsteins/140lb struts for sale and am going to replace both sides in the rear. Hooray.

Hopefully this will also cure the ride height issue, but if it doesn't, what are some other possible reason for this to happen?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 4 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #11

see above. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

k
+Quote Post
ammason
post Apr 4 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #12

I'm guessing it's just a shot shock and a tired spring... I'll pop in the new struts and see what happens...

Thanks again! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:24 AM