Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - visiting New Hampshire, Off topic of where to visit
ssuperflyoldguy
post May 26 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,364
Region Association: None

OT - where to visit when in New Hampshire/Boston in July? We are going out to drop daughter at Uni New Hamp for a volleyball camp in the middle of July - the boy (15) n I will have a couple of days with a renta car so we can bop around. Boston, Portsmouth, any suggestions? I'd like to visit the historical stuff, boy doesn't really care except for the constant need to eat....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post May 26 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

Portsmouth, Mt. Washington, Kangamangus Highway, Hampton Beach...
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 26 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #3

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

I am 20 minutes out of Portsmouth if you want someone to show you around.
+Quote Post
74ravenna
post May 27 2016, 04:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,032

Portsmouth is a great town for the simple reason is, you can park your car and walk the entire town and get a lot of history.
The restaurants are numerous.
Take a ride to Hampton and head north up Rte 1a. When you get to Rte 1b take it and ride through Newcastle and that'll take you straight into Portsmouth.
Its a postcard ride when you see the waterfront of Portsmouth.
As you enter the town when you see a huge tan stone building just across the river you're looking at the famous (or infamous) Portsmouth Prison.

After that you should consider a trip to winnipesaukee and a ride up and over the Kangamangus Highway as John suggested.
On the other side of the Kanc the town of Lincoln. Stop for lunch at the Lincoln Inn/Brewery.

Definitely try to get up Mt. Washington. Check weather conditions before you do though, if its cloudy at the top it might not be worth the ride up. Then again maybe it is and you can experience what the Mountain is famous for, BAD WEATHER!
The coldest i have ever been was on the top of Washington, in August!!!!
The wind chills that day were hovering around 10-12 degrees and i was dressed in cycling shorts and shirts with thin cotton gloves.

Steve
+Quote Post
74ravenna
post May 27 2016, 06:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,032

QUOTE(74ravenna @ May 27 2016, 06:43 AM) *

Portsmouth is a great town for the simple reason is, you can park your car and walk the entire town and get a lot of history.
The restaurants are numerous.
Take a ride to Hampton and head north up Rte 1a. When you get to Rte 1b take it and ride through Newcastle and that'll take you straight into Portsmouth.
Its a postcard ride when you see the waterfront of Portsmouth.
As you enter the town when you see a huge tan stone building just across the river you're looking at the famous (or infamous) Portsmouth Prison.

After that you should consider a trip to winnipesaukee and a ride up and over the Kangamangus Highway as John suggested.
On the other side of the Kanc the town of Lincoln. Stop for lunch at the Lincoln Inn/Brewery.

Definitely try to get up Mt. Washington. Check weather conditions before you do though, if its cloudy at the top it might not be worth the ride up. Then again maybe it is and you can experience what the Mountain is famous for, BAD WEATHER!
The coldest i have ever been was on the top of Washington, in August!!!!
The wind chills that day were hovering around 10-12 degrees and i was dressed in cycling shorts and shirts with thin cotton gloves.

Steve

Superfly, i gave you a little incorrect info.

Although Lincoln is on the other side of the Kanc, drive through Lincoln and within a mile or two you'll be in Woodstock. There is the Woodstock Inn, not the Lincoln Inn!

Nothing wrong with Lincoln, we've just always done well at the Woodstock inn.

Steve
+Quote Post
MrKona
post May 27 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

UNH alumni here also living in the Bay Area now! I agree with everything said already... the White Mountains are certainly worth the trip. From North Conway, Portland, Maine is only 65 scenic miles away, and also makes for a nice destination (with a lot of food (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) ). Kinda cool how quickly you can go from mountains to ocean. From there, head down I-95 back to the NH seacoast. It would be a full day, but worth it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:27 AM