Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 smog testing, Whats required in your area?
ConeDodger
post May 29 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #41

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(RobW @ May 29 2016, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2016, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ May 29 2016, 09:49 AM) *

I crack up at this BS.

Met the CA director for air quality. Interesting facts: there are no emissions standards for cows, yet cows produce a massive amount of methane gas.

Jet airplanes, trains, ships, etc.. no smog. Ever see how many planes are in the air?

While I am ALL for clean air, clean environment, etc. I think the CA gas, CA smog, etc is just an overblown profit center with the over reaching goal of getting your out of old cars, and into new cars, with the side effect of putting you in debt, and more sales tax in the coffers.

Just IMHO

Normally I agree with you just to get you to shut up Rob, but... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

There is a dramatic difference in air quality between say the 1980 - 1990's and now, particularly in Southern California. There is no sales tax on the smog test. There is an $8.25 cent charge for the "certificate." I suppose that funds the program.
Not sure the gas makes as big a difference but, as I said, look at the air quality. LA looked like Bejing in the 1980's... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Aircraft performance is so strictly regulated that it's a virtual certainty they are running their best.

Cows? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Then just keep agreeing....

We do have cleaner burning in modern cars with FI and CCs.

I would agree more with curbs on industrial pollution vs cars. 80's Burbank is just like today's Silicon Valley on a hot day. I think its the dudes smoking and vaping from their Prius cars.

I paid over $3000 in sales tax for a new car. If the car changes hands 3 times in its lifetime, it will generate $5-6K in income for the state. You may disagree, but the government isn't stupid when it comes to pulling money into its coffers. Since its in the business of selling carbon credits, you have to wonder if my 914 is really THE problem, or just not a lucrative enough solution.

still IMHO.

I was actually kind of surprised that you bought a car here in Reno. Our sales tax is higher and the dealerships have less competition. I agree though that the government is raping, robbing, and pillaging. I want to do an accounting sometime of haw much I pay to the government. I suspect it's much more than I pay in 'taxes.'
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 29 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2016, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ May 29 2016, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2016, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ May 29 2016, 09:49 AM) *

I crack up at this BS.

Met the CA director for air quality. Interesting facts: there are no emissions standards for cows, yet cows produce a massive amount of methane gas.

Jet airplanes, trains, ships, etc.. no smog. Ever see how many planes are in the air?

While I am ALL for clean air, clean environment, etc. I think the CA gas, CA smog, etc is just an overblown profit center with the over reaching goal of getting your out of old cars, and into new cars, with the side effect of putting you in debt, and more sales tax in the coffers.

Just IMHO

Normally I agree with you just to get you to shut up Rob, but... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

There is a dramatic difference in air quality between say the 1980 - 1990's and now, particularly in Southern California. There is no sales tax on the smog test. There is an $8.25 cent charge for the "certificate." I suppose that funds the program.
Not sure the gas makes as big a difference but, as I said, look at the air quality. LA looked like Bejing in the 1980's... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Aircraft performance is so strictly regulated that it's a virtual certainty they are running their best.

Cows? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Then just keep agreeing....

We do have cleaner burning in modern cars with FI and CCs.

I would agree more with curbs on industrial pollution vs cars. 80's Burbank is just like today's Silicon Valley on a hot day. I think its the dudes smoking and vaping from their Prius cars.

I paid over $3000 in sales tax for a new car. If the car changes hands 3 times in its lifetime, it will generate $5-6K in income for the state. You may disagree, but the government isn't stupid when it comes to pulling money into its coffers. Since its in the business of selling carbon credits, you have to wonder if my 914 is really THE problem, or just not a lucrative enough solution.

still IMHO.

I was actually kind of surprised that you bought a car here in Reno. Our sales tax is higher and the dealerships have less competition. I agree though that the government is raping, robbing, and pillaging. I want to do an accounting sometime of haw much I pay to the government. I suspect it's much more than I pay in 'taxes.'

On a related note living here in the Chesapeake Bay region, farming (including livestock) is one of the largest causes of nitrogen in the water which ultimately negatively effects aquatic life. Regulating this pollution is basically superficial - too much income for the state could be lost.

As a boat owner they proposed a $50/boat/yr pollution fee for slip holders, but not trailered boats. The theory is slipped boats have heads (toilets) and could be dumping into the Bay rather than to the holding tank and pumping out at the marina. Hmmm, never seen anyone relieving themselves overboard from their trailed boat... Yet that pollution source is minor compared to farming...

As a waterfront property owner I cannot disturb within 100 ft of the water, it has to be left natural which includes dead trees. Yet commercial developers can develop up and into the water - brings revenue to the state.

As for pollution in LA and elsewhere, let's not forget over the years industry has reduced emissions, not just cars.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 29 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #43

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Bought the truck in Reno and paid CA sales tax to my county. No problem there. About $300 in fees to CA otherwise. Worth the deal, the trip, and the truck! Next time I'll stay longer and buy you lunch Rob.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:26 PM