Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another stupid question, Instrument gauges
RacingDreamz
post May 30 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,747
Region Association: South East States

I know this is a very stupid question and I should be flogged for it but I have to ask. I've been out of the VW business or owned one in a very long time. I just got my 73 1.7L going today. Finally got it started and running.
On the instrument gauges, when first started, the "G" gauge light was flashing as well as the larger 'red' "B" light. Can anyone tell me what these are?

When we first started the car, the G light was on. We found a return fuel line leak and fixed that. Then the G light was off. But the B stayed flashing.

The car has been sitting for 8 years if this helps.

Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 30 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ May 30 2016, 06:57 PM) *

I know this is a very stupid question and I should be flogged for it but I have to ask. I've been out of the VW business or owned one in a very long time. I just got my 73 1.7L going today. Finally got it started and running.
On the instrument gauges, when first started, the "G" gauge light was flashing as well as the larger 'red' "B" light. Can anyone tell me what these are?

When we first started the car, the G light was on. We found a return fuel line leak and fixed that. Then the G light was off. But the B stayed flashing.

Thanks in advance.

The "G" is the alternator light. It goes off after you rev the engine. "B" is the brake light. If you release the emergency brake it should go off. It it doesn't it could be the reset button on the side of the master cylinder. This button is accessible behind the front left tire. Have you bleed the brakes lately or replaced the master cylinder? Either one of these could cause the brake light to flash even after the emergency brake is off, until you push the reset switch.
+Quote Post
RacingDreamz
post May 30 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,747
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Steve @ May 30 2016, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ May 30 2016, 06:57 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

The "G" is the alternator light. It goes off after you rev the engine. "B" is the brake light. If you release the emergency brake it should go off. It it doesn't it could be the reset button on the side of the master cylinder. This button is accessible behind the front left tire. Have you bleed the brakes lately or replaced the master cylinder? Either one of these could cause the brake light to flash even after the emergency brake is off, until you push the reset switch.

Thank you, Steve. I didnt take the E brake off. I'll take a look at that tomorrow and see what happens. I appreciate it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 31 2016, 10:55 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Ben,

You've got your answer above, & the "G" was an outdated use from the older 356 & VWs with generators, in the pre-alternator days.

In addition to here & in our info section, the p914.com & Jeff Bowlsby's sites are excellent resources.

for Gauges... ...also see the rest of site:
http://p914.com/p914_gauges.htm

Bowlsby's set:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/ (links to wiring diagrams at bottom also)

http://bowlsby.net/914/PartsFS/

PB Anders is another great resource for the EFI, but I don't have that link handy, so maybe someone else can oblige? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:58 AM