Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OC Region PCA Zone 8 Concours June 17, 2017, Mile Square Park, Fountain Valley CA
Tom_T
post May 31 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

>>>> If you're entering for judged classes, the deadline is 6/14.[/i] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

>> UPDATE - The 2017 Show is coming up on Sat. June 17th - Reg Link is below, & the new Poster is also at Post #62 on page 4 - so jump to there onward for posts on the 2017 Concours Show (up to there is from 2016).

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-oc...ge-coast-160197

This is a [i]CAR SHOW
folks - so come out to compete, display only, or just to "Gawk & Talk"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

We always get a bunch of really nice current, late model & classic Porsches to ogle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Again - Orange County's OCR "White Gloves" Concours is coming to Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley, OC, CA just a bit north of the 405 off at Edinger east to & right at Brookhurst coming from the north, & off at Brookhurst north coming from the south - & NO, nobody actually wears white gloves, it's just a name! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

The lunch situation is supposed to be an improved Bier Garten or something, so there will be refreshments there too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

2017 OCR CdE Info & Event "Poster":
Attached Image

2016 OCR CdE Info & Event "Poster":
http://www.pcaocr.com/?page=1&e=4202

Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//16400+Broo...33;2d33.7251695

Event registration is available online at the link below, but I'm not sure if they'll be doing on-site registration for either judged &/or display only cars.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-oc...55#.V03IEL7d42w

Concours Entrants - Divisions & Classes:
Awards are given for the best cars in each Division, as well as for each Model(s) within the Classes of each Division, usually with 1st & 2nd if enough cars entered in each Class - & for those competing for year end awards, this & the other Regions' CdE events count points towards Zone 8 overall year end awards for same.

For 2016, Z8 has now expanded the easiest Wash & Shine Division (Interior & Exterior judged - 2 areas) to have a separate Class for our 914s - as do/did the other Street & Preservation (75% original ext. & int.) Divisions, which adds Storage & Engine judged (4 areas); & for Full Concours, which adds undercarriage front & rear (technically with & without engine - 6 areas) to the prior Divisions.

Wash & Shine is the easiest to prep for, with only Exterior & Interior - so it's most used by those new to Concours & those who want to try it out, for those who DD their cars, & even by experienced CWs with limited time to prep their cars.

So do try it out if you're at all interested in Concoursing your 914.

Note that Originality is NOT judged in Zone 8 - so don't worry about those personal goodies, options & accessories that you've added! We're only judging on cleaning, detailing & preparation of your car, but you'll want to remove items like your cool Coco Mats, coffee cup holders, & other easily removable non-original stuff to aid the judging.

Also note that the new 2016 rule says you need to have your tool kits out of the car & ready for judging at 5 minutes before judging starts - i.e.: when "Light Dusting Only" &/or "5 minutes until Judging Start" is announced.

The Storage Judges in each Division will let contestants know whether they'll judge spare tires, etc. - usually based on whether all entered cars have them relatively accessible. Other variations may also come up for Storage (both trunks in 914s + Boxster/Cayman), & Interior (e.g.: if a 356 Speedster is entered, then it has no glovebox to judge, & we'd usually skip it for all other cars).

If in question - ask a judge!

See the link down below for more guidance on Concoursing.

Display Only:
This is not judged, but display only, & last year we had a dozen or more 914s show up for display alone! So bring out your beauty to show off, even if you're not interested in being judged for potential "Hardware."

It would be nice to have the 914s grouped together in display, if at all possible - so hopefully some of the early arrivals can help the later comers get their 914s into the same general vicinity, & keep it up during the day .... as a "NARPy show of force" if you will! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Box Lunches:
These are usually included for judged entrants, since they're usually there from 7 am or earlier (offsite) for prepping, through the afternoon for judging & awards.

Lunch has been optional for Display folks, since some come & go at various times, &/or don't want the Corner Bakery or whatever box lunches. So AFAIK you can register for Display with or without a lunch again this year.

BTW - these are usually enough food to share with a spouse/SO/GF/BF if you're not super hungry, so my wife & I usually share - rather than buying a 2nd - but additional lunches can be ordered in advance. There are also eateries along Brookhurst near the venue.

Vendors/Sponsors:
We always have a few sponsoring vendors with pop-ups & displays at the show, so do cruise by & at least look at their stuff & the P-dealer's new Porsches - in addition to the judged & display car gawking.

Help for Concours Contestants:
Zone 8 has a set of excellent articles, slide shows & "How To's" for Concours entrants at the link below, which are actually often used by other PCA Zones & Regions around the country. So if you're planning to compete, or just curious about how it all works, or just want tips on how to prepare & detail your 914 & other cars - take a look at the items linked on the Z8 Concours webpage at the link below....

http://www.zone8.org/events/format/concours.php

Other Parking for Visitors:
There will be ample parking for those not entered or in display at the venue, which the Concours Committee will have marked & can direct you to it, or you can just snag some on-street parking around Mile Square Park. So feel free to come over in any type of car to look & visit with folks.

Note on the Venue Change from Dana Point:
The City of Dana Point has had some water limitations due to the drought & the State enforced water limitations, so they've cancelled all of the various car shows & concours events at our usual venue by the Marriott Resort down there (at Green Lantern Park). We don't know if we'll be able to return to Dana Point in the future at this time.

So come on out & show off your 914s &/or other P-cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I will be there as one of the judges, so do come seek me out - since I tend to be running around helping out, or with a team during judging. I'll try to wear something 914-ish all day, or ask someone with the judges for me.

And do feel free to follow any of the judging teams around to see what they do, if you're not otherwise engaged.

Also, feel free to post your pix in this topic for the show! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Hope to see many of you there!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 31 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #2

TMI....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

So post yer pix here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post May 31 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,901
Region Association: None

Anyone know the cost for display only or if registration in required?
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 31 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 31 2016, 08:29 PM) *

I signed up for display only. I only saw one price option, which was $20.00 and it said it came with a $5.00 food voucher for the roach coach.
It said that registration ends June 15th. I could not find anything on just showing up and paying.
http://www.pcaocr.motorsportreg.com/
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Jun 1 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #5

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

QUOTE(Steve @ May 31 2016, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 31 2016, 08:29 PM) *

I signed up for display only. I only saw one price option, which was $20.00 and it said it came with a $5.00 food voucher for the roach coach.
It said that registration ends June 15th. I could not find anything on just showing up and paying.
http://www.pcaocr.motorsportreg.com/

Me too for display only @ $20. They said be there at 7am. The event as I understand is from 7a to 3p, While I love cars and like to chit chat some. 8 hours of a car event is a bit much for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 1 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #6

TMI....

DISPLAY ONLY FEES:

Yes, Display only for parking on the turf at the event is apparently $20 with a $5 Roach Coach coupon for lunch, rather than the box lunches of past years.

And it looks like the Concours Chair & committee took my & others' suggestion to drop the cost of Display from last year of $30 - with $10 off for no lunch IIRC. So now it's $20 with a lunch Discount.

I'd still rather see a free display only - as SDR does, but I guess they have to bring in enough to pay the event insurance & park use fees to the respective city in OC.

I've also heard that these are to top flight Food Vans - not your typical roach coaches for the lunches. I just like to call them all "roach coaches"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

TIME FOR DISPLAY ONLY CARS:

I've got an email out to the Concours Chair to confirm this & on-site registration, but AFAIK from past years - Display only cars can come & go freely at any time.

In all past years the 7 am - 8 am time slot was for entered cars only - so they can get them placed on the judging grounds & the entrants can start their final prep asap (many show up earlier & line up & start prep off-site).

ON-SITE REGISTRATION:

I'm checking if there will be on-site registration available for Display Only &/or Judged Entrants. I'll post when I know.

Thanx for registering folks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post Jun 1 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,630

Registered for concours -914 and display- 911 Carrera S. See you all there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 1 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I might actually come to this with my 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 1 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #9

TMI....

Okay .... here's the skinny from the top horse! .... pretty much as I said above.

DISPLAY CARS OKAY TO COME & GO ANYTIME:

NJF: "1. Display cars may come and go as the wish, no requirement to stay throughout the day."

ON-SITE REGISTRATION OKAY:

NJF: "2. Obviously, for concerns about the registration process I definitely prefer that all registrations be done online before the event, especially for the judged groups so that we can have enough trophies for class and division winners.

[On-line} Registration ends 6/15/16.

For someone arriving for display only the day of the event that would not be a problem.

In my experience most of the people wanting to have their cars judged will do so in advance of the registration cut off date, however if there happens to be a late entry we are not going to turn anyone away."

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 1 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2016, 05:49 PM) *

I might actually come to this with my 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Make sure to look me up Rob! It would be great to meet you in person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

.... maybe you can talk your buddy from Carlsbad to bring his 918 for display too!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 1 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Hey Folks,

Steve, Marv, Gary & possibly Rob represent some really nice 914s already showing up folks, so come on down if without your Teen-ride just to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) !!

For those who haven't seen it, Marv's 3.6 is a monster, & all 4 of these are some flavor of six or clone beast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

So come on out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 2 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #12

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 1 2016, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2016, 05:49 PM) *

Make sure to look me up Rob! It would be great to meet you in person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

.... maybe you can talk your buddy from Carlsbad to bring his 918 for display too!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Tom
///////

Tom,
Donn was offered 1.5 X his purchase price for the 918 so even though he thinks it was the best car he ever owned, he parted with it. But yes, part of the draw to come down there is to see him. He could maybe bring Morticia, his 930? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jun 2 2016, 08:29 AM
Post #13

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Just registered display.
DON'T JUDGE ME!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 2 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #14

TMI....

[quote name='ConeDodger' date='Jun 1 2016, 11:22 PM' post='2353460']
[quote name='Tom_T' post='2353340' date='Jun 1 2016, 08:53 PM']

Tom,
Donn was offered 1.5 X his purchase price for the 918 so even though he thinks it was the best car he ever owned, he parted with it. But yes, part of the draw to come down there is to see him. He could maybe bring Morticia, his 930? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
[/quote]

Dang Rob, talk about future regrets he'll be having in a few years!

Sure anything else P-car would be fine.

However, a Caroyln Jones (in her prime) "Morticia" in that tight dress would be preferable hanging on the 930 - even though the younger crowd on here would probably go for the Darryl Hannah version instead! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

They don't know what they're missing, IMHO us old guys know better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 2 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 2 2016, 07:29 AM) *

Just registered display.
DON'T JUDGE ME!

Well okay then! But you'll have to put up with folks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Happy to give any tips or insight on concoursing before or after my judging duties, to you &/or anyone else who may want to dip a toe in the CW pond.

It's really not that hard nor daunting if folks just want to do Wash-n-Shine & not get anal over hardware.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jun 9 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #16

Surf Guru

Anyone else ?
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jun 9 2016, 07:38 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Where will the entrance be to pull into the event?

What street?

Thanks
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jun 9 2016, 07:45 AM
Post #18

Surf Guru

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 9 2016, 06:38 AM) *

What street?

Thanks

Enter from brookhurst.there is a exit off the 405 fwy
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 9 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 9 2016, 06:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 9 2016, 06:38 AM) *

What street?

Thanks

Enter from brookhurst.there is a exit off the 405 fwy

Guys, this is a new location, so I can't say where in the 1 mile x 1 mile park they'll have us located exactly, nor which entry route to same will be used - but look for the P-cars & go by where it looks like they're coming in, & look for PCA-OCR Concours signs. They'll have it signed for where to enter the specific area, which may be shown on the map at Motorsportsreg linked above.

... sb914 & others coming from the HB/SB/SB/SB beach cities - you can probably catch Edinger off PCH & skip 405 coming from SB,

... Lawrence & others coming up from the south would exit 405 at Brookhurst,

... & those coming from the north would exit 405 at Edinger then right on Brookhurst.

Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//16400+Broo...33;2d33.7251695

If the map is correct, then the event will be at the flag/tab shown on the map - or near - & you'd enter on either or both of those driveways shown off of Brookhurst. However, that may just be showing the "official address" for Mile Square Park - so still look for cars & signs.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Jun 9 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #20

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

So... Question r/e display only entrants. How do you gain access to the display area? Do I bring proof I have paid? Or am I on some list with Motorsportreg ? Thanks.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:54 PM