Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remember to keep your strap clean
era vulgaris
post Jun 2 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #1

J is for Genius

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Cleaned my transmission ground strap today because...well, because I hadn't yet and figured I might as well.

The car seems to run a bit nicer and specifically the idle seems more stable.

Most interestingly though, my digital CHT gauge is showing my head temps are ~25 degrees lower! I don't believe I'm actually suddenly running cooler. I think I was running that cool all along but all the gunk on the ground strap was giving the spark plug temp sensors a higher resistance to ground and thus giving a higher temp reading.

I thought I was doing great running in the 320's on #3. I'm now running in the 290's-300's! Hot damn! That's cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 2 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

But ..... the biggest reason to keep the transaxle ground strap clean & well connected electrically, is that it prevents frying your clutch cable when the ground goes through it instead! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 2 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jun 2 2016, 07:56 PM) *

Cleaned my transmission ground strap today because...well, because I hadn't yet and figured I might as well.

The car seems to run a bit nicer and specifically the idle seems more stable.

Most interestingly though, my digital CHT gauge is showing my heads temps are ~25 degrees lower! I don't believe I'm actually suddenly running cooler. I think I was running that cool all along but all the gunk on the ground strap was giving the spark plug temp sensors a higher resistance to ground and thus giving a higher temp reading.

I thought I was doing great running in the 320's on #3. I'm now running in the 290's-300's! Hot damn! That's cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

That's excellent news....

Amazing what a good ground can do.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jun 2 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #4

J is for Genius

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2016, 09:00 PM) *

But ..... the biggest reason to keep the transaxle ground strap clean & well connected electrically, is that it prevents frying your clutch cable when the ground goes through it instead! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Tom
///////

Wow, I didn't realize that was a possibility. Yeah, definitely then!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 2 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Nice job, however I don't understand the point of cleaning it. Taylor Cable makes a brand new ground strap which is almost identical (Taylor pt. #20308) and works wonders... all for a measly ten bucks. The ground straps are almost all 40+ years old. I say replace them, IMHO.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 2 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Ground straps corrode over time and have much more resistance after 40 years.
It's one of the first things I would replace
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 2 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hey, Rich and I finally agree on something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jun 2 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 2 2016, 09:23 PM) *

Hey, Rich and I finally agree on something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Guys, I just ordered 2. An ounce of prevention.......
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 3 2016, 03:32 AM
Post #9

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2016, 09:00 PM) *

Tom
///////

Had this occur on an auto trans. Car wouldn't go into gear, removed the shift cable and found it had welded itself to the liner bracket.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jun 3 2016, 08:38 AM
Post #10

J is for Genius

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 3 2016, 12:01 AM) *

Nice job, however I don't understand the point of cleaning it. Taylor Cable makes a brand new ground strap which is almost identical (Taylor pt. #20308) and works wonders... all for a measly ten bucks. The ground straps are almost all 40+ years old. I say replace them, IMHO.

Definitely agree. I should've mentioned that this is not the car's original ground strap. It's only 5 or 6 years old. I have the receipt for it somewhere in the giant stack of receipts the PO gave me. It's different from the Taylor strap, it's actually completely jacketed except for the contacts on the ends, which had oxidized and picked up some grime as had the contact points on the body and trans. I should have clarified that it's really the contact points I was talking about, not the strap itself. Unsoldered electrical contacts could always use a cleaning every year or so, especially when they're exposed to the outside world on a regular basis. Some 220 grit sandpaper and some contact cleaner works wonders!
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 3 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jun 3 2016, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 3 2016, 12:01 AM) *

Definitely agree. I should've mentioned that this is not the car's original ground strap. It's only 5 or 6 years old. I have the receipt for it somewhere in the giant stack of receipts the PO gave me. It's different from the Taylor strap, it's actually completely jacketed except for the contacts on the ends, which had oxidized and picked up some grime as had the contact points on the body and trans. I should have clarified that it's really the contact points I was talking about, not the strap itself. Unsoldered electrical contacts could always use a cleaning every year or so, especially when they're exposed to the outside world on a regular basis. Some 220 grit sandpaper and some contact cleaner works wonders!

Can you guys tell me how long in inches " the ground strap is?? Need to know before I crawl under to measure & purchase. Trying to save myself crawling under (2) times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 3 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

A one-foot one will be too long, which just means there will be some extra wire sitting on top of the trans. Better too long than too short!

--DD
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 3 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But I'm almost positive that the Taylor Cable #20308 one I posted earlier is the closest fit. It's 8 inches, which should be plenty. At least that's what SHE said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 3 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #14

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 3 2016, 07:12 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But I'm almost positive that the Taylor Cable #20308 one I posted earlier is the closest fit. It's 8 inches, which should be plenty. At least that's what SHE said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks George,

I crawled under and it looks like 8" with a limp tape measure.

Tom
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 03:32 AM