Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why EFI?, maybe excellence was expected and they came as close as they could..
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 24 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #221

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

QUOTE(396 @ Jun 24 2016, 05:25 PM) *

I think the OP simply has too much time and would like to bump his tread up so he will be noticed as a value contributor.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 24 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #222

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:28 PM) *

I think the OP simply has too much time and would like to bump his tread up so he will be noticed as a value contributor.

What do you mean by "bump"

as simple as it sounds...you bump something it moves....in the case it moves to the top of the list..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 24 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 19,670

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 24 2016, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:04 PM) *

... but this one keeps going over the same old ground. D-jet & L-jet FI from the 70's ... it is what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

OP is working on a time machine. He will convince Porsche they should have kept carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Alright simple question

914/4 EFI. 914/6 Carburated ...why?

Obviously many here would gladly trade
Their 4 for a 6 which didn't come in a fact
EFI configuration back then....if the 6 was
Truly all Porsche then why put a set of
Garbage (?) carbs on it? And go with what
Some are saying is the far superior EFI?

I just doesnt make sense.

Either Porsche was lazy and didn't want to go all the work to inject the 6, or they thought it to be in exact and not worthy of installing on the 6.

I don't know...maybe there is another reason?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 24 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #224

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

All the reasons are in the twelve pages of YOUR thread, yet you refuse to acknowledge the obvious? I won't be reading anymore of this thread. I also won't be reading any of your post in the future. By the time you read this, you'll be on my ignore list. Good luck in life. Your gonna need it.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 24 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #225

914 Freak!

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:49 PM) *

... but this one keeps going over the same old ground. D-jet & L-jet FI from the 70's ... it is what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

OP is working on a time machine. He will convince Porsche they should have kept carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Alright simple question

Either Porsche was lazy and didn't want to go all the work to inject the 6, or they thought it to be in exact and not worthy of installing on the 6.

Bingo...Porsche is the laziest company in the world, how did they muster the energy to make the /6 models with 5 lug suspension and make the ignition switch in a different location?

They made 3332 914-6 in a period of 2 years.

They made 115,646 /4 bangers.

The /6 models where not quite flying off the showroom floors due to the increased price, for a grand or so more you could have a 911.

The factory obviously saw that there was no reason to put big R&D money into a fuel injected /6. If you notice the /6 stopped in '71.

If the /6 was that popular and a money maker the factory would have spent the money to further improve the product line and it would have had EFI sooner or later just like the 911's which had it beginning in '73

+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 24 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #226

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

The 914/6 engine is simply a 1969 911 T engine which had already been designed and was in production at the time the 914/6 started production.
They chose a low end 911 engine to avoid the 914/6 out performing the 911.

Jim
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 24 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #227

914 Freak!

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 24 2016, 04:12 PM) *

The 914/6 engine is simply a 1969 911 T engine which had already been designed and was in production at the time the 914/6 started production.
They chose a low end 911 engine to avoid the 914/6 out performing the 911.

Jim

yep,they actually did have a fuel injection setup they could have used, it was costly for the 911 and it would have been even more money for the 914 due to the lower production numbers. (sure some parts would be the same, but I'm sure there would be 914 specific parts which increases the price)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 24 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #228

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Alright simple question

Porsche DID go to all the work to inject everything. While they did the fours first, they followed with the sixes. That's just the consumer cars, don't forget the factory race cars WERE using FI back then. And since then, ALL of their cars have been FI. None of them use carbs anymore. WHY?
Please let that sink in before you rephrase the same questions again, or suggest they were lazy or "effing up" or some other ignorant nonsense, again.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 24 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #229

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:28 PM) *

What do you mean by "bump"

Use the search.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 24 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #230

Good luck in life, cause I will need it?

You'd swear I said something political.

Come on C maker.....I don't think this is life or death bud.

Don't quite understand the vitriol with the c makers comments.

Last time I checked this was a Forum, and I believe we all know what forum means.

+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 24 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #231

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 05:41 PM) *

I believe we all know what forum means.

"Dear Penthouse Forum: I never though I would be writing you! I took my car to the shop to have my EFI replaced with carbs. The mechanic turned out to be a buxom woman!. She asked what I could trade for the work....."
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 24 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #232

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Alright simple question

OK.....time out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 25 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #233

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 11 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

No they didn't eff up, they did the best they could with the new technology they had. It seems as though the technology was purchased by the folks at Bosch from the aviation component of Bendix. That said most Injection systems were originally good at idle and full open throttle, so primarily racing applications. So in there infancy not well suited for automobile applications.

Been reading on different types of fuel delivery systems and their pro and cons.

There are very few con's to todays EFI systems, there were however performance and reliability issues with the original designs. Even today Claims of increased HP, Fuel economy, drivability, reliability and so on....some still dispute
how much these differences really mean. It appears the main thing EFI does extremely well over Carbs is in the pollution factor, or in this case the ability to pollute less. Carbs are a some what open system allowing hydro carbons to escape/vent in to our atmosphere even when the engine is at rest, where as the EFI is essentially a closed system releasing no vapors or gases unless the engine is running and those gases are then coming out of the tailpipe from the exhaust cycle.

Many of the Guru's (about 5 to 1) prefer carburation.

The above Statement isn't correct, although what confuses this OP is the sheer amount of photographic evidence on this site and others including evilbay and CL showing most engine compartments with Carbs installed. Many here have spent thousands on their cars, and what do you see when the lid is lifted? a Carburated engine..... So while my intentions will be keeping my cars in their stock or near stock form, with EFI, I cannot understand why so many Carburated cars. (Because its easy isn't an answer, because its simple isn't an answer and because its cheap isn't an answer)

With this being the case, Did Porsche mess up when they went the EFI route with the 914?

I do not believe they messed up, I believe they did the best they could with the available technology they had. Granted they did sort of use the end user as of a kind of a guinea pig/test bed, but what manufacturer doesn't in some way.

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

I think that just as much as seeing the Ljet and Djet as a performance and platform to develop future EFI systems off of, Porsche and others also incorporated EFI into there products to show they were progressive company's in design and practicality.
EFI, Unibody, Targa, Mid engine, four wheel disc, and many more attributes can be cited as Porsches View into the future.

I would like to keep my car stock with the factory EFI, but increasingly getting more difficult to do with so little information backing it up.

Above statement is also incorrect. In my case I think I am fortunate because I believe I have most the parts needed to reinstall the factory EFI's on all three of my cars. There is a plethora of info on both sides, but for now.... just for originalities sake, EFI will be the way I go.

To those that added constructive comments and or facts to this thread... it is much appreciated...to those that took this thread as some sort of attack on their beliefs, or way to "clutter" the site, I can appreciate how you feel, but I just see those arguments as shutting down the free flow of ideas and the give and take of facts that get each of us to arrive at our own understanding of the information.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 25 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #234

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Enough already. I cannot ban you but I can ignore you.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 25 2016, 11:25 AM
Post #235

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 25 2016, 11:09 AM) *

Enough already. I cannot ban you but I can ignore you.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:45 AM