Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PETRONIX RANT, Bosch & Petronix don't like each other
ChrisFix
post Apr 7 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,707

QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 7 2005, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Apr 7 2005, 12:44 PM)

There is supposedly an equivalent unit with a part number ending in "V" which is just short enough to fit the vacuum advance distributors.  Haven't seen it myself.

--DD

I have a couple of "V" part number Pertronix units on the shelf. I have used the units for years and never had troubles with rubbing or even failing. But then, I know better to make sure I install the right part in the correct dist. Did you know there is also a left or right unit depending on how your points are set up? Piont is, you can't just order a pertronix unit and throw it in. You have to make sure it is the right part for the job.

That said, I always carry a set of points in my cars, just in case. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

I just checked the part number of the unit I installed two nights ago and it is 1847V and it fits perfectly. The unit height is such that its top is even with the top of the magnet ring. Since the top of the magnet ring is the below the bottom of the rotor there is no way for the rotor base to rub. The stocking label says "Fits Bosch 205, 009, and 050 Distributors".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Apr 8 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Pertronix units are great, only time I had a dead one is when i killed it by cranking the car with no spark plugs hooked up (compression test) I should have pulled the coil hot wire first!!!!

I have ran into one Bosch rotor that rubbed, on the sides of the rotor on one end. A quick file job, and it was repaired, subsequnet Bosch rotors did not have this problem! So the problem appears to be in the rotor diminsions, they were not even close to the same.

Ran one Pertronix for near eight years, worked everytime, no more points adjustment, heaven!!!

Also have ran Pertronix on my VW's, and friends cars.

As mentioined, optical system are prone to dirt issues, the Pertronix does not, and is a clean install with near stock appearnace (no extrernal boxes).

I think later Pertronix are made smaller, (can anyone confirm this???) if so, maybe all clearance issues are solved??

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:16 PM