Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Cap'n's valve adjustment procedure, Jim T and Cap'n Krusty's bestest way!
914_teener
post Mar 12 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

If John were still here....and in some way he is, I'm sure he would comment.

He was quite a mechanic.

And... it's Krusty, to be crusty.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Mar 12 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 12 2020, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 12 2020, 12:05 PM) *

The original explanation promises that this is a method that one person could perform. However, in the chart I was mystified as to why I have to look for 2 valves rocking on opposite sides of the car?????? Example: 2 AND 3, etc.

I imagined (prior to thinking about this) that there was a position where #2 Ex and #3 In may not be in sync. This is not the case. THEY CAN NEVER BE OUT OF SYNC since the lobes are 180Deg out of phase.

This is where the Sun rose above my marble head.

The logic in the chart is wrong! This is the correct Logic:

Turn until Rocking: Adjust:
#2 Ex OR #3 In #4 Ex & #1 In
#1 Ex OR #2 In #3 Ex & #4 In
#4 Ex OR #1 In #2 Ex & #3 In
#3 Ex OR #4 In #1 Ex & #2 In
There is no case where #2 Ex is rocking and #4 Ex & #1 In are NOT Seated.

I see where you have gone with this. But.
By the same token when 2EX is rocking 3IN is also rocking.

And, you want to be SURE they are rocking before you adjust the opposing valves.

It only takes a second to swing your head over and make sure.

Zach

Zach,

Thanks for the note - but it begs the question: how could they NOT both be rockin unless the cam, push-rod, rocker was broken?
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Mar 12 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 12 2020, 11:43 AM) *

If John were still here....and in some way he is, I'm sure he would comment.

He was quite a mechanic.

And... it's Krusty, to be crusty.

Got it, changed to proper spelling.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Sep 1 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 11 2010, 11:35 PM) *

After reading this a few times and having it explained a few times, and still being the un-mechanical numskull I am, I had to draw a picture. NOW it makes sense. Rock close and Adjust Open. I know you mechanics will just laugh, but someday I'll catch on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Please note that this diagram has intake & exhaust valves mis-marked, Intakes are on the inside * exhausts are on the outside !!
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 1 2020, 02:04 PM
Post #45

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

The newer guys may catch a posting but The (Captain Krusty) was quite the character on line. Good info and great style. One of the guys I liked back in the day. 2007 when I joined, seems like a very long time ago.

Bob B
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 1 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #46

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

i have the utmost respect for the Cap'n (may he rest in peace)...and his method obviously works. But this seems like the 914 equivalent of abbreviating the month of June. Why make this more complicated, just to save two turns of the engine? The TDC method is about as foolproof as it gets...and there's nothing for absent minded people like me to remember...or forget! Am I missing something?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 2 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #47

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 1 2020, 07:09 PM) *

i have the utmost respect for the Cap'n (may he rest in peace)...and his method obviously works. But this seems like the 914 equivalent of abbreviating the month of June. Why make this more complicated, just to save two turns of the engine? The TDC method is about as foolproof as it gets...and there's nothing for absent minded people like me to remember...or forget! Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something big.

You can adjust your valves in close to 1/2 the time, with no getting up and down and under the car and over the car. The whole thing is done under the car on your creeper. adjust 2 valves, push over and turn the wheel (while still on the creeper). Then push over and adjust the next 2 valves.

You never have to worry about "Am I sure I'm at TDC? Am I 180 off?" You aren't using chopsticks down your spark plug holes to test when the piston is at the top of its rise.

I made a simple chart I just keep in my shop manual that I can refer too when I do my valves. Its just that easy.

Zach
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 2 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #48

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749

I accomplish the same thing by just making a mark on the flyweel 180 degrees from the TDC notch. Both marks are viewable from the window at the base of the trans case. Never have to get out from under the car. But yes, I do need to spin the wheel two more times. For me, those extra two turns are a worthy tradeoff for not having to remember anything. But, as I mentioned, I may be more prone to A.D.D. than most. To each his own...
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 2 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 5,834

QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 2 2020, 09:49 AM) *

I accomplish the same thing by just making a mark on the flyweel 180 degrees from the TDC notch. Both marks are viewable from the window at the base of the trans case. Never have to get out from under the car. But yes, I do need to spin the wheel two more times. For me, those extra two turns are a worthy tradeoff for not having to remember anything. But, as I mentioned, I may be more prone to A.D.D. than most. To each his own...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) This is the way I prefer to go. Just did a valve adjustment this weekend and never got up off the creeper once, didnt even pull the distributor cap. Line up a mark on the flywheel, find the cyl where both I&E are not under pressure, adjust. Roll the engine 180 to the next mark and repeat in firing order.

I have done the Krusty method in the past until i discovered on one of my motors with a hotter cam while rechecking everything at TDC the clearances were different then when checking at the location used in the Krusty method. Since then, my OCD has not allowed me to adjust at anything other than TDC. Interestingly enough found that the clearances were tighter at TDC than when the opposing valve was full open meaning had i not went back and fixed it at TDC I would have potentially been tight/open valves. Wouldnt have expected that, but since discovering it I always go with the TDC method.
+Quote Post
72hardtop
post Sep 6 2020, 01:44 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 16,378
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Been a long time since I've found a T-4 with sodium filled valves. Most that were rebuilt no longer have them. The newer stainless tool steel valves are far superior. .006 for both intake and exhaust.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:53 PM