Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT, getting them home stories, Car stories
r_towle
post Jun 20 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

OT! So move it if you feel the need.

I laugh more now when thinking of the crazy stuff I did when I was young and broke just to get a car home or repaired.

One night, heading up to go skiing with a buddy, by beetle accel cable broke.
It was super cold, dark and we were in a section of NH that has about ten exits of nothing....so remote.

Thankfully there was a gas station about 2-3 miles ahead.
I put on my winter ski clothes, goggles and all.
I sat sideways on the rear bumper with my hand hugging the upright fan and I drove the carburetor while yelling when to shift etc...

What could go wrong......??

How about you guys?
I have a few more stupid stories that make me wonder why I am still here at all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
oakdalecurtis
post Jun 22 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Here's another "I can't believe it's true!" (but it is) 914 story. I was traveling out of Modesto on the the main drag, McHenry Boulevard, at about 11 pm on a Saturday night. My 16 year old son was also driving next to my yellow 914 in his new little black Toyota pickup. He was in the curbside lane, and I was in my topless teener in the center lane. As there was no other traffic, we were going side by side at about 60 mph, when a Modesto Police cruiser pulls up to McHenry from a side street on the right, about 200 feet ahead of us. My son braked fast enough to make the right turn next the the officer's cruiser and head away down the side street. Of course I sailed by right in front of the cop in the center lane, unable to do anything. I could see the officer's rooftop lights come on like a Christmas tree in my mirror. I could also see my son traveling away toward home on the side street, waving at me with a satisfied smile on his face. I pulled over under the illumination of the car dealerships on upper McHenry Boulevard. Then I shut off the 2 liter engine of my '76 teener, put my hands on the top the the yellow Momo steering wheel and waited patiently for my inevitable speeding ticket. The officer pulled up behind me, flashing lights ablaze, got out of his car, and slowly walked up beside my knee high 914. I waited for a moment to make eye contact with him, but I could tell out of the corner of my eye that he was eyeballing my street legal go cart with a grin. When we finally actually looked at each other, I'll never forget his EXACT and ONLY nine words: "Just looking for kids Sir, have a nice evening." THAT'S IT! He turned and walked slowly away as I tried to mumble "Thank you officer". He did not ask me for my license, papers, or any questions at all, just that nine word sentence, and then he was gone! When I got home and told my son what had happened, he was pissed, saying the cops would have given HIM a ticket. I said darn straight they would have. A few gray hairs and a cute car can go a long way to ease the path of life! Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 23 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 22 2016, 04:45 PM) *

Here's another "I can't believe it's true!" (but it is) 914 story. I was traveling out of Modesto on the the main drag, McHenry Boulevard, at about 11 pm on a Saturday night. My 16 year old son was also driving next to my yellow 914 in his new little black Toyota pickup. He was in the curbside lane, and I was in my topless teener in the center lane. As there was no other traffic, we were going side by side at about 60 mph, when a Modesto Police cruiser pulls up to McHenry from a side street on the right, about 200 feet ahead of us. My son braked fast enough to make the right turn next the the officer's cruiser and head away down the side street. Of course I sailed by right in front of the cop in the center lane, unable to do anything. I could see the officer's rooftop lights come on like a Christmas tree in my mirror. I could also see my son traveling away toward home on the side street, waving at me with a satisfied smile on his face. I pulled over under the illumination of the car dealerships on upper McHenry Boulevard. Then I shut off the 2 liter engine of my '76 teener, put my hands on the top the the yellow Momo steering wheel and waited patiently for my inevitable speeding ticket. The officer pulled up behind me, flashing lights ablaze, got out of his car, and slowly walked up beside my knee high 914. I waited for a moment to make eye contact with him, but I could tell out of the corner of my eye that he was eyeballing my street legal go cart with a grin. When we finally actually looked at each other, I'll never forget his EXACT and ONLY nine words: "Just looking for kids Sir, have a nice evening." THAT'S IT! He turned and walked slowly away as I tried to mumble "Thank you officer". He did not ask me for my license, papers, or any questions at all, just that nine word sentence, and then he was gone! When I got home and told my son what had happened, he was pissed, saying the cops would have given HIM a ticket. I said darn straight they would have. A few gray hairs and a cute car can go a long way to ease the path of life! Attached Image

We'll have to get together Curtis and do some drives (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My story is from when I first bought the car. I did not have a license since I was either 13 or 14 at the time. I bought the car with money I had saved up and my parents matched what I spent on the car so I could start fixing it. Yes this is my 914 that I still have (15 years later..). When I bought it my dad decided we would try driving it home. The clutch tube was broken, the heat exchangers were leaking and the engine leaked a bit of oil, also the cabin vent tubes from the heat exchangers were stuck open. So... Every time we got to a stop my dad would have to take it out of gear, turn the engine off, put it in gear with the clutch in and start it while it lurched forwards a little bit. We were able to limp it home, but I am not sure how many brain cells we lost from the fumes/smoke.

Here is a pic from when I first got the car home and spent the next 10 hours cleaning it as a proud young teenager (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1429499049.jpg)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
r_towle   OT, getting them home stories   Jun 20 2016, 02:56 PM
2mAn   My old Jetta Diesel coupe. Ignition switch died, s...   Jun 20 2016, 03:25 PM
cuddyk   I lived in the Virgin Islands for a while in the 8...   Jun 20 2016, 09:54 PM
Olympic 1.7   going up a big hill, I floored it to get around a ...   Jun 21 2016, 06:49 AM
Olympic 1.7   I was having the dreaded fuel pump vapor lock, my ...   Jun 21 2016, 07:00 AM
DBCooper   Thankfully there was a gas station about 2-3 mile...   Jun 21 2016, 07:02 AM
sb914   OT! So move it if you feel the need. I laugh...   Jun 21 2016, 07:46 AM
altitude411   Not really a "get it home story" but... ...   Jun 21 2016, 07:56 AM
Darren C   OT! So move it if you feel the need. I laugh...   Jun 21 2016, 08:21 AM
flyer86d   About six years ago I was working late at the shop...   Jun 21 2016, 08:43 AM
Mark Henry   The shakedown voyage for my freshly restored 1967 ...   Jun 21 2016, 09:33 AM
Amphicar770   Had a 1965 T-bird in the mid 1980's. Probably...   Jun 21 2016, 09:43 AM
DBCooper   No wheel, steering with vice grips on the steering...   Jun 21 2016, 10:40 AM
altitude411   Sweeping left hander coming off the Golden Gate Br...   Jun 21 2016, 10:55 AM
ThePaintedMan   Two years ago was flat towing the 914 to JetsetSur...   Jun 21 2016, 11:49 AM
Root_Werks   1990, had a buddies baja bug we swapped some wheel...   Jun 21 2016, 12:01 PM
r_towle   I once purchased a car for 75 bucks. Bolted on my ...   Jun 21 2016, 04:06 PM
rdauenhauer   >:D So this was ...some time ago. Preface: My ...   Jun 22 2016, 12:17 PM
914_teener   Here is mine...air cooled. Got this car back in 7...   Jun 22 2016, 01:45 PM
oakdalecurtis   As a newly elected Councilman in a small rural cen...   Jun 22 2016, 04:55 PM
oakdalecurtis   Here's another "I can't believe it...   Jun 22 2016, 05:45 PM
Andyrew   Here's another "I can't believe it...   Jun 23 2016, 08:24 AM
DBCooper   City councilman with a 914? And sweet-talkin...   Jun 23 2016, 07:15 AM
2mAn   didnt think there would be so many 914 owners in M...   Jun 23 2016, 03:21 PM
DirtyCossack   While I was working Public Affairs at Ft Sill, OK ...   Jun 23 2016, 03:52 PM
r_towle   While I was working Public Affairs at Ft Sill, OK...   Jun 24 2016, 12:20 AM
DirtyCossack   While I was working Public Affairs at Ft Sill, O...   Jun 24 2016, 11:32 AM
bdstone914   Back in the 70's I owned a Pinto = POS Ford. ...   Jun 24 2016, 07:02 AM
r_towle   :D   Jun 24 2016, 09:06 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 03:02 PM