Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT, getting them home stories, Car stories
oakdalecurtis
post Jun 22 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #21

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Here's another "I can't believe it's true!" (but it is) 914 story. I was traveling out of Modesto on the the main drag, McHenry Boulevard, at about 11 pm on a Saturday night. My 16 year old son was also driving next to my yellow 914 in his new little black Toyota pickup. He was in the curbside lane, and I was in my topless teener in the center lane. As there was no other traffic, we were going side by side at about 60 mph, when a Modesto Police cruiser pulls up to McHenry from a side street on the right, about 200 feet ahead of us. My son braked fast enough to make the right turn next the the officer's cruiser and head away down the side street. Of course I sailed by right in front of the cop in the center lane, unable to do anything. I could see the officer's rooftop lights come on like a Christmas tree in my mirror. I could also see my son traveling away toward home on the side street, waving at me with a satisfied smile on his face. I pulled over under the illumination of the car dealerships on upper McHenry Boulevard. Then I shut off the 2 liter engine of my '76 teener, put my hands on the top the the yellow Momo steering wheel and waited patiently for my inevitable speeding ticket. The officer pulled up behind me, flashing lights ablaze, got out of his car, and slowly walked up beside my knee high 914. I waited for a moment to make eye contact with him, but I could tell out of the corner of my eye that he was eyeballing my street legal go cart with a grin. When we finally actually looked at each other, I'll never forget his EXACT and ONLY nine words: "Just looking for kids Sir, have a nice evening." THAT'S IT! He turned and walked slowly away as I tried to mumble "Thank you officer". He did not ask me for my license, papers, or any questions at all, just that nine word sentence, and then he was gone! When I got home and told my son what had happened, he was pissed, saying the cops would have given HIM a ticket. I said darn straight they would have. A few gray hairs and a cute car can go a long way to ease the path of life! Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 23 2016, 07:15 AM
Post #22

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

City councilman with a 914? And sweet-talkin' cops out of tickets? Total respect. What's odd is that when I was young we avoided Oakdale. One of my long-haired friends at the J-C was hitch-hiking through town when a couple of cowboys sat on him and shaved his head with sheep shears. Then when visiting friends of a girlfriend we went downtown late at night to the only place still selling beer, the H-Bar-B. When we walked in the cowboys all started yelling "HYHAAA!! HYHAAA!!" at us, like when you herd cattle. The long-haired friend put his hand on the knife hanging on his hip, walked right up to the bar, bought a six-pack to go, and we walked out without turning our backs on anyone. Unless you wore a cowboy hat Oakdale was a place you passed through quickly, going to other places.

Funny thing, though. Now I'm back in Modesto after 40 years in other places (the last 25 in Houston, yeah, Stephenville, Cowboy Capitol of the World, right?), and am hearing and seeing nothing but good things about Oakdale. I have some formerly yuppie friends living there and it seems nice now, friendly, even the H-Bar-B. So good job, Mr. 914-owning Councilman, the place has mellowed. Well done.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 23 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 22 2016, 04:45 PM) *

Here's another "I can't believe it's true!" (but it is) 914 story. I was traveling out of Modesto on the the main drag, McHenry Boulevard, at about 11 pm on a Saturday night. My 16 year old son was also driving next to my yellow 914 in his new little black Toyota pickup. He was in the curbside lane, and I was in my topless teener in the center lane. As there was no other traffic, we were going side by side at about 60 mph, when a Modesto Police cruiser pulls up to McHenry from a side street on the right, about 200 feet ahead of us. My son braked fast enough to make the right turn next the the officer's cruiser and head away down the side street. Of course I sailed by right in front of the cop in the center lane, unable to do anything. I could see the officer's rooftop lights come on like a Christmas tree in my mirror. I could also see my son traveling away toward home on the side street, waving at me with a satisfied smile on his face. I pulled over under the illumination of the car dealerships on upper McHenry Boulevard. Then I shut off the 2 liter engine of my '76 teener, put my hands on the top the the yellow Momo steering wheel and waited patiently for my inevitable speeding ticket. The officer pulled up behind me, flashing lights ablaze, got out of his car, and slowly walked up beside my knee high 914. I waited for a moment to make eye contact with him, but I could tell out of the corner of my eye that he was eyeballing my street legal go cart with a grin. When we finally actually looked at each other, I'll never forget his EXACT and ONLY nine words: "Just looking for kids Sir, have a nice evening." THAT'S IT! He turned and walked slowly away as I tried to mumble "Thank you officer". He did not ask me for my license, papers, or any questions at all, just that nine word sentence, and then he was gone! When I got home and told my son what had happened, he was pissed, saying the cops would have given HIM a ticket. I said darn straight they would have. A few gray hairs and a cute car can go a long way to ease the path of life! Attached Image

We'll have to get together Curtis and do some drives (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My story is from when I first bought the car. I did not have a license since I was either 13 or 14 at the time. I bought the car with money I had saved up and my parents matched what I spent on the car so I could start fixing it. Yes this is my 914 that I still have (15 years later..). When I bought it my dad decided we would try driving it home. The clutch tube was broken, the heat exchangers were leaking and the engine leaked a bit of oil, also the cabin vent tubes from the heat exchangers were stuck open. So... Every time we got to a stop my dad would have to take it out of gear, turn the engine off, put it in gear with the clutch in and start it while it lurched forwards a little bit. We were able to limp it home, but I am not sure how many brain cells we lost from the fumes/smoke.

Here is a pic from when I first got the car home and spent the next 10 hours cleaning it as a proud young teenager (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1429499049.jpg)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 23 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #24

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

didnt think there would be so many 914 owners in Modesto! Im getting married there in 9 days. Bought my Benz on McHenry Blvd from the MB dealership because I was bored while my fiance was at work. I should've been shopping for 914s!
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jun 23 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

While I was working Public Affairs at Ft Sill, OK I used to take VIPs out to the ranges to watch the artillery fire in my 71 Super Beetle (I had off-road suspension components) since it was too much of a pain in the ass to sign out a Humvee or government vehicle. On one occasion the Major I was driving was all about the bug so we took a joy ride on the back trails. Middle of nowhere there's a puff of smoke under the dash; the ignition switch went out. Paper clips, a repurposed toggle switch that powered the radio, some old tape and a Gerber tool mixed with some hillbilly shit my dad taught me and I had a viable fix. Impressed the hell out of that Major.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 24 2016, 12:20 AM
Post #26

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 23 2016, 05:52 PM) *

While I was working Public Affairs at Ft Sill, OK I used to take VIPs out to the ranges to watch the artillery fire in my 71 Super Beetle (I had off-road suspension components) since it was too much of a pain in the ass to sign out a Humvee or government vehicle. On one occasion the Major I was driving was all about the bug so we took a joy ride on the back trails. Middle of nowhere there's a puff of smoke under the dash; the ignition switch went out. Paper clips, a repurposed toggle switch that powered the radio, some old tape and a Gerber tool mixed with some hillbilly shit my dad taught me and I had a viable fix. Impressed the hell out of that Major.

Gerber tool and hillbilly shit?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 24 2016, 07:02 AM
Post #27

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Back in the 70's I owned a Pinto = POS Ford. Driving from southern Michigan to northern Michigan on a suspended license, cruising on the freeway the car suddenly dies. Found the points broke in two. Michigan state trooper rolls up and offers me a ride to the next town where I got a replacement set. On the ride back he asks if I had a license (did not say a valid one ) so I told him I did. He ran my info and a person of the same name with a different middle initial with the same height, weight, eye and hair color comes back wanted for armed robbery. He starts looking an me really intently. I told him yes I have a suspended license but never did an armed robbery. He says "I don't much like being lied to" and I replied, I did not lie I just did not give you the full truth.
He drops me off at the car and says" I did not see you drive her and I am leaving before you drive away so I have not seen you drive on a suspended license. I suggest you get that license problem fixed. "Yes sir.

Had a good time skiing the rest of the weekend,
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jun 24 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2016, 01:20 AM) *

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 23 2016, 05:52 PM) *

Gerber tool and hillbilly shit?

A Gerber is like a Leatherman, the folding pliers things; and hillbilly shit is the ability to think outside the box to do something without proper parts and tools.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 24 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #29

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:59 PM