Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front lifting point, Best and safe place to lift the front
BeemerSteve
post Jun 21 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,123
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi everyone!

Sorry, but I'm sure this has been asked before but I just can't seem to find a link. I have 4 very unused (maybe a little) Kumho tires I got from a friend and want to mount them. Instead of using the tire store my buddy has a tire mount and balance tools he said he'd do it for free.
The rear is no issue but finding a place to jack up the front of the car to take both wheels to him seems daunting for raising the front up in order to take off both tires.
Best and safest place to jack it. I still have the front rack cover on the car. Your thoughts?
Thanks!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 21 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Me, I jack up one corner at a time on my car, then put it on a jack stand.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jun 21 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

If you jack up one side by the rear dount or the jacking point, it will lift one whole side of the car.
+Quote Post
BeemerSteve
post Jun 21 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #4

Sounds like a plan. Just didn't want to jack under a critical spot. So I will use the factory jack point near the center to raise half the car and put a jack stand under the front donut....then do the same to the other side. As long as the front is supported by two jack stands.
Thanks you guys!!
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jun 21 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

If I jack up by the rear donut, you cant put a jackstand under it.
In that case I will put the rear jackstand under the trailing arm pivot and the front JS under the front of the a-arm pivot.

Always be very careful jacking a car from the side.
Make SURE the floor jack can roll or the jackstands on the side that is up in the air will begin to tip as you jack the low side.

Then when you are all done check all the jackstands with a mallet to be sure they are "settled".

One of the 4 JSs will likely have little to no weight on it
+Quote Post
BeemerSteve
post Jun 21 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 21 2016, 07:23 PM) *

If I jack up by the rear donut, you cant put a jackstand under it.
In that case I will put the rear jackstand under the trailing arm pivot and the front JS under the front of the a-arm pivot.

Always be very careful jacking a car from the side.
Make SURE the floor jack can roll or the jackstands on the side that is up in the air will begin to tip as you jack the low side.

Then when you are all done check all the jackstands with a mallet to be sure they are "settled".

One of the 4 JSs will likely have little to no weight on it

I think what I'll do since I have two floor Jack's is jack up both donuts at the same time and put the js under each side a-arm pivot.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jun 22 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,922

If you want to just jack up the back is there a single spot that you can use for jacking? I know some have jacked up the back of the trans, but other have said this is a bad idea?

I typically just jack up at the side jack points and put a stand under the rear trailing arm.

+Quote Post
Keith914
post Jun 22 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

For many years I have jacked up the front of 911's and 914's by placing a good quality (no big knots in the wood) piece of 2'x4' wood at right angles to the direction of travel that is long enough to span and support on the underside of both front suspension points, then position the jack in the middle of this length of wood to raise the car. After raising the car, I place jack stands at the left and right front jacking points on the tub (just behind the rear of the front wheel wells), supporting the car while working on it. No guarantee, but this has always worked for me. I do not know of an "equivalent" for jacking the rear of a 914.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jun 22 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 22 2016, 11:17 AM) *

If you want to just jack up the back is there a single spot that you can use for jacking? I know some have jacked up the back of the trans, but other have said this is a bad idea?

I typically just jack up at the side jack points and put a stand under the rear trailing arm.

Well, there IS, but its not stock:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i366.photobucket.com-10819-1466630739.1.jpg)

It works well.

I tried jacking it by the intermediate plate before, but it just seemed that if anything shifted it would slip & break the cover
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jun 24 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 22 2016, 02:25 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i366.photobucket.com-10819-1466630739.1.jpg)

It works well.

I tried jacking it by the intermediate plate before, but it just seemed that if anything shifted it would slip & break the cover

Nice! Does anyone sell that?

+Quote Post
stugray
post Jun 24 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 24 2016, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 22 2016, 02:25 PM) *

It works well.

Nice! Does anyone sell that?

Nope, custom made.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jun 25 2016, 06:58 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,426

This is my odd way of lifting the rear. Fabricated a steel bumper to connect to the 4 stock locations, was made originally for a rotisserie.

Dave

Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jun 25 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jun 25 2016, 06:58 AM) *

This is my odd way of lifting the rear. Fabricated a steel bumper to connect to the 4 stock locations, was made originally for a rotisserie.

Dave

Attached Image

Interesting: You are probably aware BUT, with the weight of the vehicle in front of the wheels of the cherry picker, it is teetering ready to flip that engine hoist over in a second. (I cant quite see in the shadow to see if it is attached to that other vehicle)

I have actually been SITTING on an engine hoist trying to hold it down from some similar tom-foolery when the hoist flipped and catapulted the whole shebang in the air.

Be very careful right there and dont get under it like that.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jun 25 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,426

It lost the engine weight before the lift...very stable.

Dave
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 25 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #15

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 25 2016, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jun 25 2016, 06:58 AM) *

Dave

Attached Image

Interesting: You are probably aware BUT, with the weight of the vehicle in front of the wheels of the cherry picker, it is teetering ready to flip that engine hoist over in a second. (I cant quite see in the shadow to see if it is attached to that other vehicle)

I have actually been SITTING on an engine hoist trying to hold it down from some similar tom-foolery when the hoist flipped and catapulted the whole shebang in the air.

Be very careful right there and dont get under it like that.

I do not agree. Imagine it is just a motor. The chain is pointing straight down to the load and the extra metal out front does not make a moment arm. I do agree that the end of the boom is very close to the leg ends and find that strange. If they aren't at full length out, they should be lengthened out. But maybe the designers feel they are out far enough.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 25 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #16

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Jun 21 2016, 05:24 PM) *

Hi everyone!

Sorry, but I'm sure this has been asked before but I just can't seem to find a link. I have 4 very unused (maybe a little) Kumho tires I got from a friend and want to mount them. Instead of using the tire store my buddy has a tire mount and balance tools he said he'd do it for free.
The rear is no issue but finding a place to jack up the front of the car to take both wheels to him seems daunting for raising the front up in order to take off both tires.
Best and safest place to jack it. I still have the front rack cover on the car. Your thoughts?
Thanks!!

When I first read the title I thought it was about front end lift at high speed, and at what speed it would lift. There are folks on the board who know the answer, but I do not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jun 25 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jun 22 2016, 01:02 PM) *

For many years I have jacked up the front of 911's and 914's by placing a good quality (no big knots in the wood) piece of 2'x4' wood at right angles to the direction of travel that is long enough to span and support on the underside of both front suspension points, then position the jack in the middle of this length of wood to raise the car. After raising the car, I place jack stands at the left and right front jacking points on the tub (just behind the rear of the front wheel wells), supporting the car while working on it. No guarantee, but this has always worked for me. I do not know of an "equivalent" for jacking the rear of a 914.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I've used the same technique. Works just fine.
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jun 25 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,967

Attached Image

I used the above drawing when figuring out lifting points

I have used the "knuckle" at the front of the suspension triangle -the circled spots nearest the front in the drawing- successfully lift either side and the whole front goes up then jackstands under the front donuts

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:18 PM