Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who has the record? UPDATE in the life happens, Rome was built in how many days? 1year and counting
Gunn1
post Jun 22 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

Recently just had lower spinal surgery and have had a little more time to read many of the build threads and others like the "Barn find"

And while this spinal surgery (life happens)is hopefully a minor set back for my family life and cars, it makes me want to ask the question "who's has the record for the longest ongoing build?"

What kind of "life happens" obstacles caused the build to stop, or rethink your likelihood of ever completing the restoration.

Kinda wishing I was Bon Jovi, and had "the power to turn back time" but never mind must be OxyContin talkin......
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bam914
post Jun 22 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,378

My dad bought a 914-6 in 1992. I was a senior in high school. It has been at the paint shop for over a year now. Going on 24 years.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 22 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Well, how about 31+ years & still ongoing?

My `73 2L was my DD 12/75 to 5/85 (2nd owner), & after a rolling resto & complete mechanical rebuild 80-83, was hit in a parking structure while I was in grad school classes - mashing both the rear trunk, pushed 2' forward into a concrete 1/2 column & wall thereby mashing the front face too. So all fresh mechanicals, my 3rd car owned, & a car of 10 years with personal meaning to me, collect the insurance after a fight, but a then soon-to-be-wife who said to use the money to "...get a car with a back seat, because we're going to have kids." So it went to get car #4 - our 85 BMW 325e & still a DD.

My 914 went into the garage in May 1985, while I was slowly looking for the needed parts for the repairs - which was much slower in those pre-internet days! And therre was always something else with higher priority for my time & funds, between 2 kids, 1921 house, cars, my business, etc., etc. .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

In 2009 both kids were grown - 1 finishing college that June, the other soon to follow in a couple of years, & I too was laid up for awhile with a surgery, so tarted trolling the net for 914 parts & info., & found 914world & 914club, etc.

So I thoroughly understand why you're on here so much now while you're laid up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I've had good success since `09 gathering the needed parts, doing research on what/how I wanted to restore my old gal (which has changed from my original plan to just get her to DD working order, & maybe even swap drivetrain into another solid tub), some forensic delving into what was needed & where the tin worm have done damage - yes, even in a dry SoCal garage, after 13+ years in all sorts of weather over 172,000+ miles as a DD for the OO & I.

However, other BS & life still gets in the way, so it will still be a while before the resto really gets rolling & done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

But I didn't keep my 914 for over 3 decades, collect $1,000's in parts, spend the time to figure out what I wanted to do, just to let her go & do nothing. So she will get done .... eventually! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

So don't give up hope, as I'm sure you too will get a "round tuit"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
pgollender
post Jun 23 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

Wow you guys are making me look like an angel !!!

Six years restoring my 1970, still have to put the engine back into the car but No way it's going to take another (31-6) = 25 years. Yes... Life, crap and everything else gets in the way, but it is the 914 addiction that we all suffer from.
Can't cure it until you complete it.

Me thinks I'll frame and anodize Tom-T's comment and show it to my wife and kids.
Compared to Tom_T and Bam's dad, I deserve a new moniker: Speedy Gonzales !!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 23 2016, 05:52 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 22 2016, 07:48 PM) *

Recently just had lower spinal surgery and have had a little more time to read many of the build threads and others like the "Barn find"

And while this spinal surgery (life happens)is hopefully a minor set back for my family life and cars, it makes me want to ask the question "who's has the record for the longest ongoing build?"

What kind of "life happens" obstacles caused the build to stop, or rethink your likelihood of ever completing the restoration.

Kinda wishing I was Bon Jovi, and had "the power to turn back time" but never mind must be OxyContin talkin......

I feel your pain... or at least some of it! Well, maybe you're not feeling much of it either right now. Hopefully not...
My build was stalled a year ago last April when I had my knee replaced, but a week later I showed up at WCR 2015 and had a great time. Then in June I was hit on my Harley head on by a truck at 60mph. Yeah. That set me back a bit, but I had time to shop for what I needed, got it here, and now this Friday I'm off to pick up a rotisserie to get this nonsense started again now that I'm able to get around more. Hopefully this ain't gonna take too much longer - I need a replacement for my bike! My family won't let me have another one... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 23 2016, 06:06 AM
Post #6

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Father purchased a 914-6 out of an impound lot in 1972, drove it approximately 300 miles, heard what he thought was a bad sound. towed it home, dropped the engine and started a restoration. So that is 43 years and counting.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 23 2016, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Wow, it just isn't necessarily a time thing, it is also the obstacles life puts in front of us.

It is amazing to me how undaunted many of you are when it comes to your car or cars, what life throws at you and the ability to still see your way forward to them being completed someday.

No wonder many of us consider them to be part of our family. Whether metal or not, after something has been around that long it is hard not to become attached to it let alone give up on it.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 23 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

My /6 hasn't rolled by itself since the mid '80s ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
green914
post Jun 23 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,874

Hope you have a quick recovery, and a speedy restoration for your 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 23 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Dad's car. More sitting than driving since 1982 or so.

ABM, 2 years and counting....
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jun 23 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Last time mine moved under it's own power..

Still on the windshield..

Attached Image

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 24 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #12

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Now, I don't feel so bad!
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 29 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(green914 @ Jun 23 2016, 01:57 PM) *

Hope you have a quick recovery, and a speedy restoration for your 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thank you for the kind words .

I cannot wait until I can get back to work on them.

All the best back to you.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 29 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm sure I don't have the record but its been out of commission since i parked it in my Mom's garage in 1989. Scotty B should have all the metal work done this summer and then I'll bring it home to finish it up.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 19 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #15

The red 74 1.8 liter I picked up in January of 2015, the yellow 75 2.0 liter, the Red 73 supposed to be yellow 1.8 liter and green 72 1.7 liter I picked up in April of 2016.
still not a lot of progress, but things hopefully will be looking up for getting something done. Going to start on the red yellow car.

Good Lord I hope I am still not talking about getting these cars done 20 years from now.......
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Nov 20 2016, 06:46 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,239
Region Association: North East States

My 914 project had been mostly setting since 2002. I'd work on it then stall, mostly due to frustration from lack of either skills or knowledge, sometimes both. The board and you guys have been a huge help getting me over some of the humps.

The project has many updates and personal touches and I wanted to make it my restoration as much as possible, but I reached a point where I knew that I had to get help from the pro's or it would probably not see the road.

Thanks to Chris Foley and Ed Morrow at Tangerine Racing, the systems have been integrated into a functioning whole and many of my mistakes have been corrected.

This thread makes me feel better. I thought that I was in the running for longest restoration but I'm relieved to see that I'm not. More on mine in a separate thread.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i142.photobucket.com-1239-1479646004.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
mlindner
post Nov 20 2016, 07:57 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

1974 914, taken off the street/track in 1990.......still in the final stages of build 914-6 GT tribute.....27 years......family, business, other Porsches (914, 928, 993, cayman) But worth the wait......Mark
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #18

TMI....

Well, that was a dupe! How about a "Half-zymers Award" too!!??

I think that we who are persistent & committed to hanging onto our babies & wa t to get them back on the road, should also get credit for such! How about a 914world Persistence & Commitment Award!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Nov 21 2016, 01:11 PM
Post #19

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532

Here is mine in 1970
Attached Image

it was taken out of service for reupholstery in 1980 or so, but then I found that the floors were rusted, so it sat in various shops, garages and driveways for the next 30 years.

here it is in 2013 or so, after I raised a son to be a bodyman/Painter <grin>
Attached Image

And here last week, the first time it was driven for pleasure since 1980.
Attached Image

So now the clock is stopped... but there are still odds and ends to finish up.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #20

TMI....

Jack,

You need to get with Curt in Tulsey Town near-ish to you - he goes by Cabinetmaker on here, who is an old 914er too, & is always trying to put together a Talimina Run with OK teeners!

Curt is another crusty old fart, like you & I! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Beautiful Light Ivory `70 914-6 BTW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Oh & I just saw - a 57 Stude Transtar too! (brainfart here!)

The 3 of us will have to get together for BBQ next time I'm in Tulsa! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

QUOTE(maxwelj @ Nov 21 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Here is mine in 1970

it was taken out of service for reupholstery in 1980 or so, but then I found that the floors were rusted, so it sat in various shops, garages and driveways for the next 30 years.

here it is in 2013 or so, after I raised a son to be a bodyman/Painter <grin>

And here last week, the first time it was driven for pleasure since 1980.

So now the clock is stopped... but there are still odds and ends to finish up.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:48 PM